"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #1741
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1
Any Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich) fans here? Judging by the movie trailer the movie made from "One For The Money" is (IMHO) is going to bomb. They cast all the wrong people for it. What do you think?

I haven't read the book but the movie looks like a chick flick trying to be something guys would like. I'll pass until it comes out on video and my sis-in-law decides it's "such a cute movie" and makes me watch it.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #1742
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
babetoo: Six? Wow isn't that some kind of record? Must have really caught your interest. I just have to keep checking this thread, is that what they call it, to see what others are enjoying. As I said, two days for this book I thought was pretty good, anyway for me!
In high school I used to read 3-4 books every week. I ended up re-reading a lot of books. I forced myself to slow down my reading and read every word. I found nor only did the book last longer but if it was well written I enjoy it a lot more. I can still kill roughly 1000 pages in a day if I need/want to and don't have much else to do. Most of the time though, I can only spend an hour or two reading before I start to feel restless. I have a few friends that are fast readers and they can kill roughly 1000 pages in an evening, like, 4 or 5 hours. I've never been that quick.

I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy with the occasional something else thrown in. Lately I've had trouble finding stuff that can keep my interest. But then, I've also been sticking to stuff I can get for free on my kindle app for my phone so that might be part of it.

Currently trying to read "The Picture of Dorian Grey" but 4 chapters in I'm finding that nothing has happened, the characters aren't particularly interesting or well developed and the whole thing feals extremely tedious. Thinking about giving up on it. I'm seriously craving something that moves, and in a direction, instead of something that just putters about aimlessly.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #1743
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm currently reading (again) Where Is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett.

I found a used paperback of The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest for about $8 (Abe Books). I'm excited! It'll probably take about 10-14 days to arrive, but at least it's on it's way.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #1744
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm currently reading (again) Where Is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett.
I loved that book. I lent it to a co-worker years ago and left the job before I got the book back. I think I will go download a copy now.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #1745
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are headed to the used bookstore...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #1746
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I loved that book. I lent it to a co-worker years ago and left the job before I got the book back. I think I will go download a copy now.
I was disappointed that he didn't write more of these books. He's very, very talented. I was delighted with this one enough that I like to read it every few years. Not many books get on that list!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:19 PM   #1747
Chief Eating Officer

I was so impressed with his writing Zhizara. This book came out when I was in my Jimmy Buffet phase and I read it just because I loved him. I was surprised at how good it really was.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #1748
Executive Chef

i can think of few people i'd rather spend a sunday afternoon with than jimmy buffett. his simple, homespun wisdom always has such a calming effect on me. jimmy finally got his head screwed on straight after banging around a bit, and like the free air we breathe, jimmy wanted to share his good fortune with his friends of the world. what he has to offer is direction from his inner compass to those ever important attitudes and latitudes in life. jimmy is a gentle and generous free spirited guide....
Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #1749
Executive Chef

Buffett

GB: Hello, remember me? Guess I have scared everybody away with my stories.

About Jimmy Buffett, Where is Joe Merchant? How do you download it? Do you have it on some kind of computer document or something? Since I know how computer savvy you are, I would appreciate you telling me how you do it? The library doesn't have the book. Will I have to go to bookstore for it?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #1750
Chief Eating Officer

Hi ITK. Of course I remember you

I will be downloading it on my iPad or Kindle. If you don't have an ereader then you can try to get a paper copy at this link Amazon.com: Used and New: Where Is Joe Merchant?