Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, near the end of last week I finished Huck Finn's tales and really did get into his shenanigans and adventures. It was a fun story and I enjoyed all the characters.

After Huck was put on the shelf, I devoured a book entitled Lone Survivor, which was written by Marcus Luttrell. He was the lone survivor of an operation called Operation Redwing, which ended up being the worst disaster of casualties in our country's SEAL team history.

I was riveted from start to finish and could picture every moment he describes in the book. Just...WOW!

Now, for a total and complete about face, I'm reading Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. I've just scratched the surface and I don't know how many times I've laughed out loud. This is gonna be fun!!!!

I just downloaded to kindle Louise Penney, The Long Way Home. I have been looking forward to this book and its right in time for my three day weekend. Barchester Towers will have to step aside momentarily.

I have banned myself from the library until I work my way through my stack of magazines. At least all three of those subscriptions were free. :)

And off I go to read...

Attachments

• 2014-08-28 23.41.34.jpg
    2014-08-28 23.41.34.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 164
Snoopy looked hang dog because the light was keeping him awake. The sticker on the bottom of the dog house reads "I'm allergic to morning" but, like me, Snoopy will sleep any chance he gets.

I have gone amazon/kindle shopping for creepy, halloween-ie type reads. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's my October tradition.

1. The Purge of Babylon / Sam Sisavath - Zombie Apocalypse
2. The Colony / F.G. Cottam - Supernatural / Horror
3. The Lazarus Prophecy / F.G. Cottam - Supernatural / Horror / Slasher
4. Ghost Song / Sarah Rayne - Supernatural

We are all the normal people reading these days?

Finished my last Mark Twain book and am now about 3/4 of the way through Don Quixote de la Mancha by Cervantes.

Boy, oh, boy, has good old Don Quixote had some adventures. His sidekick, squire, Sancho Panza is a piece of work, too.

I'm really enjoying it.

I'm reading The Maze Runner, by James Dashner, waiting to pick up the rest of the books. Really enjoying it.

A farewell to arms

I'm currently reading A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1929) by Ernest Hemingway. I'm a senior citizen catching up on classic 20th Century novels that I didn't read when I was younger. Reading GRAPES OF WRATH got me started on catching up. You are never to old to improve your mind.

I'm currently reading A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1929) by Ernest Hemingway. I'm a senior citizen catching up on classic 20th Century novels that I didn't read when I was younger. Reading GRAPES OF WRATH got me started on catching up. You are never to old to improve your mind.

Guess that's what I'm doing, too, Max. I began with some of Mark Twain's works after enjoying a recent PBS series about him. That sort of got the ball rolling and I've really had a good time reading things I've heard about all my life but never read.

Guess that's what I'm doing, too, Max. I began with some of Mark Twain's works after enjoying a recent PBS series about him. That sort of got the ball rolling and I've really had a good time reading things I've heard about all my life but never read.

One cool thing about classics is that they're out of copyright, so you can download them for free to read on an electronic device. I started reading the complete Sherlock Holmes last winter, then got away from it for a while. I'll get back to it when it's colder and I have more time for uninterrupted reading.

One cool thing about classics is that they're out of copyright, so you can download them for free to read on an electronic device. I started reading the complete Sherlock Holmes last winter, then got away from it for a while. I'll get back to it when it's colder and I have more time for uninterrupted reading.

I doubt that I'll ever succumb to reading by way of an electronic device. I much, much prefer turning a page. I've just given in to audio books and only because listening to a book via audio I can pursue another of my favorite activities, such as knitting or crocheting.

Fortunately, too, our regional library is quite good and I have no trouble acquiring any book I might wish to read.

i'm reading the u.s. army's fm 21-76 survival manual.

pretty neat stuff. i can't wait to start survival training with the scouts in a year or so.

i remember earning my survival merit badge. i was given a knife, a wool blanket, and a pound of ground beef and was dropped off in the woods by myself for a day and a night. we had to make fire, build a shelter, find water, and cook the meat.

Last edited:
I doubt that I'll ever succumb to reading by way of an electronic device. I much, much prefer turning a page. I've just given in to audio books and only because listening to a book via audio I can pursue another of my favorite activities, such as knitting or crocheting.

Fortunately, too, our regional library is quite good and I have no trouble acquiring any book I might wish to read.
I used to feel that way until I bought my Kindle. There are a number of sites to get books free or at low cost and I have about 70 books backed up right now.

I used to feel that way until I bought my Kindle. There are a number of sites to get books free or at low cost and I have about 70 books backed up right now.

I'm not resistant to change and, in fact, my best friend loaned me her Kindle a while back. I was curious and she was kind enough to share hers. I just flat out didn't like it.

Then, there's the frugal part of me that just cannot purchase something, not necessary for life, that I'll just let sit or dispose of after one use. I don't even buy "regular" books, with the exception of a cookbook now and then. That's why I enjoy the library so much.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is to look around me and see all the books that are awaiting my hands and mind. Sometimes I feel like a child in a candy store. Omigosh, which book do I pick up to read today?!

I do have a very limited personal library of hardback books that represent my very, very most favorite reads. I cherish them as I do an old friend.

Just finished Don Quixote de la Mancha and thoroughly enjoyed every tale and adventure. My only regret is that I hadn't read it sooner.

Now I'm devouring The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. Don't know why I picked it up at the library but it just seemed to call to me. It is fantastic and is Grissom's first novel. Boy! I hope she writes more.

If you read and enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees and/or The Help, you'll love this book. I started it yesterday morning and, by mid-afternoon, I'd read more than half of its 350+ pages. I just could not put it down. I want to consume the rest of it but I also don't want it to end. What a delicious dilemma!

Back
Top Bottom