"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #1751
Chef Extraordinaire

Has anyone here read the Twilight Saga stories? Yeah, those are the ones I mean, lol.
I absolutely love werewolf/vampire/human interaction type stories, but man... the sappiness of the movies, coupled with this teenage angst love/crush thing from a female lead who acts (I say hesitantly) in monotone, that's some pretty tough stuff to get through just for a couple good story lines.
I saw the third one yesterday and it had some parts that I'm hoping last longer in the book without being wrapped around in the bad parts as much. I'm hoping this is just the case of a movie not doing the book justice... to the tenth degree.
So do the books provide an entertaining story for more than adolescents? Without all the muck, I think there's a good story in there somewhere, but maybe not.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #1752
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
Has anyone here read the Twilight Saga stories? Yeah, those are the ones I mean, lol.
I absolutely love werewolf/vampire/human interaction type stories, but man... the sappiness of the movies, coupled with this teenage angst love/crush thing from a female lead who acts (I say hesitantly) in monotone, that's some pretty tough stuff to get through just for a couple good story lines.
I saw the third one yesterday and it had some parts that I'm hoping last longer in the book without being wrapped around in the bad parts as much. I'm hoping this is just the case of a movie not doing the book justice... to the tenth degree.
So do the books provide an entertaining story for more than adolescents? Without all the muck, I think there's a good story in there somewhere, but maybe not.
My sister liked them but warned me that I likely wouldn't. She said there is a fair amount of teen drama type stuff but that they are still better than the movies. I have another friend who liked the books but admits she only went to the movies to watch the shirtles native boys. From what I gather based on their descriptions, the books have some good ideas and interesting mythology but still more angsty teen stuff than most guys (and some of us girls) would want to wade through. Shoot Sprout a pm though if you're interested. I'm sure she'd be willing to give some feedback.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #1753
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They (Twilight) were the Harlequin Romance of Vampire stories. Too fluffy for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #1754
Chef Extraordinaire

Bummer.
They've got a pretty good story line going with the vampires trying to co-exist with the werewolves in a modern day setting, but I guess their real story line is the teen angst fluff with the vampire mythology thrown in as the dressing. Too bad.

Harlequin Romance of vampire stories... no wonder the movies stink for the most part. It's bad enough I have to see Fabio doing deodorant commercials, lol.

Thanks for the answers, Ladies. I won't waste my time with the books. I was hoping someone would say they were drastically different.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #1755
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Bummer.
They've got a pretty good story line going with the vampires trying to co-exist with the werewolves in a modern day setting, but I guess their real story line is the teen angst fluff with the vampire mythology thrown in as the dressing. Too bad.

Harlequin Romance of vampire stories... no wonder the movies stink for the most part. It's bad enough I have to see Fabio doing deodorant commercials, lol.

Thanks for the answers, Ladies. I won't waste my time with the books. I was hoping someone would say they were drastically different.
Waaaay too fluffy for me, too. But, Fred, if you would like to venture into another "other world" kind of story where unusual creatures are thrust into our world, you might check our the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I was captivated by the first book and nearly ate the rest and I'm hungry for him to write more.

One of the things I appreciate about this batch of Patterson's writings is that he paints wonderful pictures in my head as I read, which I view as good writing.

Check into them. You might be pleasantly surprised and...hooked.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #1756
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Katie.
Headed over to Amazon...
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #1757
Executive Chef

if i want to know what my grandkids are into, and i do, i have to read some of their stephanie meyer and their rick riordan. and i'm telling you, rick riordan and his percy jackson series is waayy easier to take than meyer's twilight saga. no vampires in the lightning thief, for instance, but plenty of mythology, greek gods in various forms, fast paced, and a riveting read. stephanie meyer cannot write. period. her books are painful to read--i had to stop after two. i haven't seen any of the twilight movies, but i would venture to guess that the movies are actually far better than the books on which they are based. if you like vampire/human interaction pac, could you be enticed to read a real master in this genre for once--anne rice? just for starters check out her 'tale of the body snatchers'....plus, you will be lured into a sensuous, atmospheric, love affair with new orleans that lingers enchantingly, like fairy dust....
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #1758
Chef Extraordinaire

"but i would venture to guess that the movies are actually far better than the books on which they are based."

Holy cow... if the movies are likely better than the books, that is really not saying a whole lot for her writing. I had been hoping the screenwriter stank.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #1759
Everymom

pacanis, if you like the paranormal stuff with a dollop of mythology tossed in you might like Patricia Briggs stuff. Look for the Mercy Thompson series. Well done and very entertaining. She has a couple of related books that carry on the dynamic with different characters.

My current favorite Otherworldly writer is Kelley Armstrong. She has written both juvenile and adult fiction. Her stories are fast paced and certainly grabbed my attention.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #1760
Sous Chef

While I did enjoy the Twilight series, I agree that it's probably not what you're looking for. It's a fun, entertaining read, but it's written from the perspective of a teenage girl. Meyer is not a great writer, she just had an entertaining story to tell. I thought the books were much, much better than the movies, but the movies are pretty similar in ratio of action/mythology to teen drama. I wouldn't compare them to Harlequin, since they aren't smutty, but they are definitely fluffy.

It's funny, of all the inconsistencies & errors in the series, only one part actually really bothered me. A characer who was supposed to be an amazing musician, with heightened senses, whose is presented as a musical connoisseur, says that the music of the 50s and 80s was better than that of the 60s and 70s. I'm not saying I don't love me some good 80s hits, but it's definitely not where I look for quality musical composition!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote