Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wolf Hunting by Jane Lindskold - It is a science fiction book about humans, wolves, and other creatures that work together to stop some evil magic and doings.

The Dodge City Trail by Ralph Compton - Pretty much what the title states: a cattle drive north to Dodge City with the typical Indian issues, stampedes, bad weather, etc.

SierraCook said:
The Dodge City Trail by Ralph Compton - Pretty much what the title states: a cattle drive north to Dodge City with the typical Indian issues, stampedes, bad weather, etc.

If you like The Dodge City Trail, you might like Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman. It's an older book, but the authors "paint" great pictures in your head as you read. It would be especially apropos to read in the wintertime because of the winter segments. They've written other books, of which is Kathy Little Bird. This is another great read. The Search for Joyful is another of their works. All three are on my "keep" library shelves. Wonderful stories!!

I'm currently reading "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer for Sunday School class. Supposed to be reading Jimmy Carter's book about Palestein for book club but can't get copy at library and won't pay bookstore price for it! Also on second half of "Suite Francaise". Can't remeber spelling of author but it is a story about WWII German invasion of France. So far so good. Have several Nora Roberts books lying around to start soon. Just recently got into the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. Very interesting and real page turners. Couldn't wait to see what would happen next in them! If you didn't guess I love to read. I'm the same way with books as others have stated here, have to hold them to appreciate them but do enjoy audio books when on long road trips.

Reading anything good right now?

I am just getting done reading "Good-bye To the Mermaids" A Childhood Lost in Hitler's Berlin. It is a true story by Karin Finell. I usually just read English mysteries but I heard them interviewing the author on the radio one day and it sounded very interesting. Excellent book! I haven't been so moved by a book before.

I recently read "Lovely Bones" and "A Day of Small Beginnings". Both were excellent. The first is about a young teen who is murdered and written from her point of view after the fact. It is quite interesting. The other covers several generations and involves Jewish experiences during the years before and after the holocaust in Poland. It is fiction and quite interesting too. You really learn alot about Judaism and their thoughts on death. It also involves spirits working in the world. Very good.

jabbur said:
I recently read "Lovely Bones" and "A Day of Small Beginnings". Both were excellent. The first is about a young teen who is murdered and written from her point of view after the fact. It is quite interesting. The other covers several generations and involves Jewish experiences during the years before and after the holocaust in Poland. It is fiction and quite interesting too. You really learn alot about Judaism and their thoughts on death. It also involves spirits working in the world. Very good.

I loved the Lovely Bones. I listened to the reading ages ago on NPR and got the book to read for myself. She has a couple other books that are great too.

I have been working on the Dancing Wu Li masters by David Zukav. Seat of the Soul was a great read too.

I just finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. Not as funny as his book Naked, but it still made me laugh out loud.

I have read lovely bones as well, very good book. Right now I am reading 'The measure of a man' by Sidney Poitier (yes, the actor). I am only up to page 30 but am enjoying this book. I rarely read anything but fiction, but this is a "spiritual autobiography" as he calls it.

Re-reading Following the Equator by Mark Twain. Memoirs of his speaking trip around the world to get out of bankruptcy.

Last edited:
I just started The Invention of Hugo Cabret, which is a piece of juvenile fiction. It's beginning quite nicely and the illustrations are nothing short of fabulous. Here's a link to get a glimpse of the story and view a slideshow of the illustrations. I think I'm going to enjoy this beautiful book.

I regularly read something that is for the young set to see what's out there. I have a feeling I'm going to give this book a great big "thumbs up."

goodgiver said:
"A Boy Called It" very compelling how tragic but he certainly does percervier
.. This is such a good read - sad but makes one realize how lucky we are even when things seem so bad ... Read the other books in the series - it is awe inspiring - I have listened to interviews with him and would love to talk to him someday!!!!

Back
Top Bottom