Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, intended or not, kayelle, a couple of years ago your intrigue with gillian flynn's 'gone girl' influenced me to read it, too. and you've done it again recently with another girl this time, a 'good girl'. i wonder what sort of girl will it be that you introduce me to next....

:LOL: Here you go Vit...I just ordered this girl and can't wait to get started. It looks like another doozie..."The Girl on the Train"....

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22557272-the-girl-on-the-train

Last edited:
The write-up on it sounds interesting, Kayelle, but there were mixed reviews. Looking forward to what you think of it, just in case I'm in the mood for something other than a cozy mystery.

The write-up on it sounds interesting, Kayelle, but there were mixed reviews. Looking forward to what you think of it, just in case I'm in the mood for something other than a cozy mystery.

Yep, there's always mixed reviews on every book CG. However, this one seems to have at least four stars from all the sources I've checked. It's next on my list, and I'll let you know.
I'm just finishing up The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River Series #2) by Patricia Harman | 9780062358240 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble
and I've enjoyed ever single page, as I did her first book.

"The Girl on the Train" in all was worth the read CG. It would have been nice if just one of the characters were at least likable though. :rolleyes:
It was indeed a mystery, but it sure wasn't "cozy". :ohmy:

Last edited:
I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. WOW! What a story and I'm amazed that one his age wrote it. He was around 30! A very, very talented writer.

It's the story of a young orphaned girl in Nazi Germany during WWII and, in some ways, reminiscent of Anne Frank. Great story and the real surprise is the narrator. I won't give it away. It blew me away.

"The Girl on the Train" in all was worth the read CG. It would have been nice if just one of the characters were at least likable though. :rolleyes:
It was indeed a mystery, but it sure wasn't "cozy". :ohmy:

A relative loaned me 'Girl' and I'm trying to read it, but don't much like it.

A relative loaned me 'Girl' and I'm trying to read it, but don't much like it.

Lizzie, I can't say that I've actually "liked" any of the three "Girl" books I've read. All of them were an interesting visit to the dark side.."Gone Girl", "The Good Girl", and "Girl on the Train". I'm ready for something happy and normal.

Lizzie, check out the Hope River series I mentioned......I loved them!

Last edited:
I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. WOW! What a story and I'm amazed that one his age wrote it. He was around 30! A very, very talented writer.

It's the story of a young orphaned girl in Nazi Germany during WWII and, in some ways, reminiscent of Anne Frank. Great story and the real surprise is the narrator. I won't give it away. It blew me away.

That book is in my TBR stack. Thanks for no spoilers!:)

Lizzie, I can't say that I've actually "liked" any of the three "Girl" books I've read. All of them were an interesting visit to the dark side.."Gone Girl", "The Good Girl", and "Girl on the Train". I'm ready for something happy and normal.

Lizzie, check out the Hope River series I mentioned......I loved them!

I'm sorry I missed that, K, but who's the author of that series?

I have two authors to suggest in the happy and normal category:

Jennifer Chiaverini, who's written lots - the series I have in mind is The Elm Creek Quilters.

Another is Adriana Trigiani, with the Big Stone Gap series.

Beg your pardon if you're the one who recommended these in the first place.

I'm not sure Trigiani's is a series.

Last edited:
Lizzy, the author is Patrica Harman....This is what I just read...
http://www.amazon.com/The-Reluctant-Midwife-River-Novel/dp/0062358243
The first one is just as good.

Thanks for the tips for "happy and normal"....;)

Thank you, K.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And here's an author for Cooking Goddess, who dotes on food mysteries or anyone else (yes - you, too, K) looking for light entertainment:

Avery Aames, who wrote 'The Long Quiche Goodbye' (I've read; nice light read) and 'Days of Wine and Roquefort' (I've not read yet)

I'm sorry I missed that, K, but who's the author of that series?

I have two authors to suggest in the happy and normal category:

Jennifer Chiaverini, who's written lots - the series I have in mind is The Elm Creek Quilters.

Another is Adriana Trigiani, with the Big Stone Gap series.

Beg your pardon if you're the one who recommended these in the first place.

I'm not sure Trigiani's is a series.

Thanks for turning me on to Adriana Trigiani Lizzy. I just finished an epic book of hers and really enjoyed it. It met my need for getting out of the rut of the "dark" side. This fit the bill very well..a wonderful story.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Shoemakers-Wife-A-Novel/dp/0061257109

I've run out of library books again, having finished another two-day read last night. It was the most recent edition of the White House Chef Mystery series. Before I return the book to the library I need to remember to copy a recipe or two. The pork tenderloin coated with chopped pecans before cooking and then drizzled with an "orange and something else" sauce afterward sounds especially good.

Just dropped off my latest read at the library today. Another cozy mystery, you figure, right? Nope, something very far away from a beach read. The page-turner was "The Wrong Man: The Final Verdict on the Sam Sheppard Murder Case". I was a 3-year-old in Cleveland when this happened, yet I still have vague memories of my Mom pouring over the newspapers every day, saying that she just didn't believe he could kill his wife. I do remember the second trial, as I was a high schooler at the time. I really enjoyed the book for what is was - probably because I'm a native Clevelander and was born at Bay View Hospital, the one started by Sam Sheppard's dad. He, however, was NOT Mom's doctor, nor did she ever have any contact with him or any other family member. Still, she always thought he was innocent. No matter how much evidence is uncovered, I believe no one will every be able to give a definitive answer.

Drat, I forgot to pick that book up today CG, and I drove right past the book store on my way to have the car washed. :ohmy: :glare:

Just dropped off my latest read at the library today. Another cozy mystery, you figure, right? Nope, something very far away from a beach read. The page-turner was "The Wrong Man: The Final Verdict on the Sam Sheppard Murder Case". I was a 3-year-old in Cleveland when this happened, yet I still have vague memories of my Mom pouring over the newspapers every day, saying that she just didn't believe he could kill his wife. I do remember the second trial, as I was a high schooler at the time. I really enjoyed the book for what is was - probably because I'm a native Clevelander and was born at Bay View Hospital, the one started by Sam Sheppard's dad. He, however, was NOT Mom's doctor, nor did she ever have any contact with him or any other family member. Still, she always thought he was innocent. No matter how much evidence is uncovered, I believe no one will every be able to give a definitive answer.

CG, I was living just South of Akron when this case broke. Wasn't the killer said to be a mysterious one-armed man? Or did I get that from the Hollywooded-up 'Fugitive'?

I have ordered from the library but haven't gotten yet a 'true-crime novel' by Vincent Bugliosi, who has written several others of its kind as well. I read it years ago but got the itch to re-read. Title: "And the Sea Will Tell." You might like it since it's a similar treatment of the murders, events and clues, leaving a question in the mind.

CG, I was living just South of Akron when this case broke. Wasn't the killer said to be a mysterious one-armed man? Or did I get that from the Hollywooded-up 'Fugitive'?

I have ordered from the library but haven't gotten yet a 'true-crime novel' by Vincent Bugliosi, who has written several others of its kind as well. I read it years ago but got the itch to re-read. Title: "And the Sea Will Tell." You might like it since it's a similar treatment of the murders, events and clues, leaving a question in the mind.
The one-armed man is from the Fugitive. The intruder that Dr. Sam said he chased was a bushy-haired man. Not sure, but I though I had read that the idea for The Fugitive was presented before Marilyn Sheppard was murdered and the network thought it wasn't believable to use for a series.

"And the Sea Will Tell". Hmm, sounds promising. But right now I'll be doing little reading until my garage sale is done and done. Probably not something I would want to read while relaxing at FMB, either. ;) It IS on my TBR (To Be Read) list on my library page, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

There's a true crime book "Small Sacrifices" by Ann Rule about Diane Downs, who was convicted of shooting her three children. Downs must have read about the Dr. Sam case, because she claimed a 'bushy haired stranger' shot her children. It's been many years since I read it, but I remember she stuck to that story throughout her trial.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom