Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I didn't read her blog. MY contracts were set up that I was selling only first NA rights (right to publish first, only in North America). I retained rights outside NA and for second publications (republications). But that didn't stop some publisher from asking me if he could republish my work, he sent me a release to sign with no offer for pay, and when I requested a fee he ignored me and published it anyway. So much for following the laws.

Kayelle, so many times I have started a book and it was terrible. I just couldn't get interested in it. But by some miracle, by the time I reached the middle of the book it grabbed me and I couldn't put it down.

Right now I am reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Very good!!

I appreciate your views Carol but I think an author should have enough talent to grab a reader within 50 pages, or I fire them. How hard can that be? Why should we wade through drivel for half a book before they show some talent for telling the story? I don't intend to be confrontational, but only conversational. ;)

I appreciate your views Carol but I think an author should have enough talent to grab a reader within 50 pages, or I fire them. How hard can that be? Why should we wade through drivel for half a book before they show some talent for telling the story? I don't intend to be confrontational, but only conversational. ;)

I have the same policy, had it for years. Not a fixed number of pages but definitely 50-100 pages, either enthrall me or I forget about finding out how it ends. I already know. It ends badly, for me, bored that I wasted several ours of my limited life reading their drivel.

I have a record of all the books I've read over the last 25 years, with ratings and particularly when I quit a book. It's nice at the library because I can take my iPad and see if I read any of the author's books or read a book that looks enticing but I forgot I read it.

Hook me in 50 or so pages or you are out of here.

Just finished the series The Boy Allies- With The Navy. By Ensign Robert L. Drake.

These were my fathers books from his childhood. Written between 1915-1919. 10 in the series.

They were children's books (Ages 12-16) so an easy read but they do show a different perspective on life then we have today.

I thoroughly enjoyed them.

Had to blow the dust off of them but they are in great shape.

Now I need to tackle The Boy Allies- With The Army. by Clair W. Hayes.
I count 11 of them.
And then The Ranger Boys. by Claude A. LaBelle
5 of them.

A lot of dust to sift through for me. ;)

Also read one of my mothers old books.
Thunderhead by Mary O'Hara Copyright 1943.
Nice read.

As you can see I've been living in the past and sometimes that's a informative thing to do.

But don't worry. I also just finished Cold Betrayal by J.A. Jance. and have started The Skin Collector by Jeffery Deaver.

I needed a few cheap supermarket novels before I step back in time again.

Found a new author to try out, A.G.Riddle. Reading his first book, The Atlantis Gene...so far so good. It's a trilogy, will be getting the other two soon, nice action-packed thriller.

I just finished the 3 Hunger Games books.
It seemed like, the first two, Hunger Games and Catching Fire, were exactly like the movies, so much so, I wondered if the books were written after or during while the movies were being made. They were easy reads and there were few things different from the movies.

The third book, Mocking Jay, was much more choppy, with a different style than the first two books. It didn't seem like it had the same author to me. It was harder to follow. It was still interesting just somewhat rushed and missing information and therefore more confusing. I didn't really like the third book nearly as much.

In the overall series, the authority using children to manipulate people, sickened me. I find it horrifying that people can be that sociopathic.

I'd like to find a book or some books with another dystopian reality.

Reading a piece by a new, to me, author named Anthony Doerr. The book is called All the Light We Cannot See. It's a great book. Takes place in France and Germany during WWII. The story is centered around two young people, a blind French girl, and a German boy, both about the same age.

Doerr is a master at weaving a tale and his choices of words create wonderful and vivid images as I have been reading the story of the two young folks. Their lives are, at the moment, running parallel but I have a feeling they will converge.

It took the author 10 years to write the book and I can understand why. Full of such detail. It's a great read and I highly recommend it.

Will I find him at the supermarket book shelf?

Always looking for a good thriller. ;)

Probably not, I found him while cruising Amazon for an old book I needed to replace. Riddle is worth the read, I have ordered the other two in the series and a stand alone. Basically everything he has published to date.

My book addiction has surpassed my food addiction...:rolleyes:

Hmm, interesting that I said that last month. This month I'm wading through a big book that was good at the start, and even half way through and has been going down hill since then. It's like the author got tired or something. It's just flat on the downhill and very frustrating. I've never found this before.
I'll finish it but I'm not happy at all. If it doesn't have a great ending, I'll tell the author what I think. :mad:

Reading a piece by a new, to me, author named Anthony Doerr. The book is called All the Light We Cannot See. It's a great book. Takes place in France and Germany during WWII. The story is centered around two young people, a blind French girl, and a German boy, both about the same age.

Doerr is a master at weaving a tale and his choices of words create wonderful and vivid images as I have been reading the story of the two young folks. Their lives are, at the moment, running parallel but I have a feeling they will converge.

It took the author 10 years to write the book and I can understand why. Full of such detail. It's a great read and I highly recommend it.

It has certainly received rave reviews at goodreads Katie. It sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Well a Barns & Noble is straight ahead rather then a left turn on the way home so I guess I can make the sacrifice. :rolleyes:

Why don't bookstores have drive through windows? ;)

For the same reason a nice restaurant doesn't, you have to savor it. I love the smell of a bookstore.

For the same reason a nice restaurant doesn't, you have to savor it. I love the smell of a bookstore.

Point taken.

I love a good bookstore myself.

But Barns & Noble is more and more feeling like a chain like McD's. :(

Well I guess that sometimes you need your fix and have to deal with reality. ;)

I love browsing the stacks in a library. Good smells, doesn't cost me anything, I get to make a lot of new friends - both human and in books. I hope physical libraries are around forever and are not chased away by the "you can find that online" naysayers. E-readers and laptops have their places, but there is nothing like a real, "live", book.

Back
Top Bottom