Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been reading about the rationing in England during and after WWII.

Marguerite Patten wrote over 160 cooking books and pamphlets, many of them have been reprinted and are quite inexpensive. I have been reading Marguerite Patten's Post-war Kitchen: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1945-54 and The Victory Cookbook: Celebratory Food on Rations.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...s,195&rh=n:283155,k:marguerite+patten+wartime

If you decide to purchase any of her books take some time to read the descriptions, some of the reprints include the same material that appears in other books with slightly different titles.

At the moment I have three books I'm reading, but am focusing on a Jodi Picoult novel entitled House Rules, which is sort of a suspense/thriller book that centers around a young boy who has Asperger's syndrome. It's very, very good and has grabbed me to the extent that I am totally ignoring my two other books.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

At the moment I have three books I'm reading, but am focusing on a Jodi Picoult novel entitled House Rules, which is sort of a suspense/thriller book that centers around a young boy who has Asperger's syndrome. It's very, very good and has grabbed me to the extent that I am totally ignoring my two other books.

That sounds good Katie...
House Rules by Jodi Picoult — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I need a short break from Jeffery Archer's "The Clifton Chronicles". Wonderful series!

I recently finished "Killing Lincoln" which was very good. Now I am reading 2 books. The first is "Velocity" by Dean Koontz. Kinda creepy but not scary...yet. The other is "The Great Gatsby" by F.Scott Fitzgerald. The English class I interpret for a Deaf student is studying that one so I need to read it to know how to help her understand it! I never read it in high school but did see the movie with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

This really interests me, Katie. Reminds me a bit of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime".

I returned the John Kruk book to the library yesterday. If you like baseball, and you like stories about the game from inside the clubhouse, this would be a fun read.

Seems like a different book followed me home. My new check-out item is called "Save Room for Pie" by Roy Blount Jr. Seems to be another non-recipe food book. Since the writer is a frequent contributor to NPR's "Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me" and our son absolutely loves that show, I figure I'd give it a chance. We'll see if I can make it through the book. ;)

I just picked up To Race the Wind, by Harold Krents, the inspiration for the blind hero of Butterflies Are Free.

The last time I read this book was in 1973, I think, the year before I left home. I'm really looking forward to reading it again.

I have been reading about the rationing in England during and after WWII.

Marguerite Patten wrote over 160 cooking books and pamphlets, many of them have been reprinted and are quite inexpensive. I have been reading Marguerite Patten's Post-war Kitchen: Nostalgic Food and Facts from 1945-54 and The Victory Cookbook: Celebratory Food on Rations.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_25?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=marguerite+patten+wartime&sprefix=marguerite+patten+wartime%2Cstripbooks%2C195&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Amarguerite+patten+wartime

If you decide to purchase any of her books take some time to read the descriptions, some of the reprints include the same material that appears in other books with slightly different titles.

You would have enjoyed watching Back in Time for Dinner. It was a UK TV show that took a family and had them replicate what people were eating from the 50s to 2000. Every day was a year, so every ten days was a decade. The living room, the dining room, and especially the kitchen was changed over to reflect the decade.

I was flabbergasted to see how little people in the UK had to eat during the 50s, since rationing was still on then. I remember the mother looking at a piece of meat that I think I could have eaten in one meal and she remarked that it was all the meat she had to feed the 5 of them for a week.

That makes me very grateful for what we have today.

Last edited:
My first husband was from England and used to tell me and the kids how they went meatless many days. He and his brothers would go fishing so that the family would have something for supper that night. Not a pretty picture at all. I used to have to tell him to tone it down when the kids were quite small. They took the stories to heart and thought we were going to having nothing to eat also. :angel:

I recently read Andy and Don. The behind the scenes story of Don Knotts and Andy Griffith. It was very interesting how their lives evolved. My Husband is the reader in the family. He reads a book a week usually. He is reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea right now. He said it is hard to get into because it is dated.

During my working days, I used to take a book with me to read on the bus and subway. I loved the morning ride. The train was so quiet. Everyone was reading. One time I had the history of the Krupp family and their place in providing the arms for WWII. It was a really thick book and quite heavy. Everyone would look at me like I was maybe just looking at photos.

During the Centennial everyone on the train was reading the Kent Chronicles by John Jakes. Go out for lunch and you would see them sitting in a nearby park, completely ignoring their lunch while reading. If there was only grass nearby or just some steps, there they were. Didn't need a park bench. :angel:

I think I have of jet lag and so I shall go read of James Herriott's Cat Stories.

Good night! I love you!

I think I have of jet lag and so I shall go read of James Herriott's Cat Stories.

Good night! I love you!

I love his animal stories. We had a show out of England called "All thing Great and Small." Or some title like that. It was about three animal vets that served the community they lived in. I must have watched that series about three times. Now I am hooked on Dr. Po on NatGeo Wild channel on Saturday night. :angel:

Just finished "Flight Attendant Memoir" by an old high school friend, Margo Anderson. It's currently free for Kindle on Amazon. I really enjoyed it.

I love his animal stories. We had a show out of England called "All thing Great and Small." Or some title like that. It was about three animal vets that served the community they lived in. I must have watched that series about three times. Now I am hooked on Dr. Po on NatGeo Wild channel on Saturday night. :angel:

I just got The Story of English and in the first or second disc, they go through some of the accents of the UK. It was so interesting to hear some of the Yorkshire accents - they talked just like James Herriott described it. In fact, if I hadn't read his books, I wouldn't have understood what they were saying.

My first husband was from the Lakes District in the northwest part of England. He lived mostly right near the border to Scotland. So he had not only an accent that was very English, but also had a bit of a Scottish Brogue. It was quite an education learning to understand what he was saying. I learned words I didn't even know existed. I swore I wanted to get my hands on a dictionary from England.

My husband got injured on the job. So he stayed home with the kids and I took a temporary job. Didn't make a lot of money, but enough to supplement his workman's comp. My youngest daughter was just learning to talk. She developed a brogue that would have made any Scotsman proud. You would have thought she came from way back in the hills of the highlands. He went back to work and for the next year, I worked like the devil to help her lose her brogue. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom