"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #1881
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
didya know, bradbury's fahrenheit 451 is now available as an ebook! as a rule, i don't do a lot of rereads, but fahrenheit is one i look forward to reading again. wonder if there will be a dated feel to it....
I am very slowly memorized that book. Thanks for the heads up, I'm trying to get all my old standards on my Kindle. I bet the first 12 books I got were ones I have read over and over.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #1882
Executive Chef

there was a time when i would have been content to just curl up and live inside kurt vonnegut's mind. just released: and so it goes: kurt vonnegut: a life. author's name is charles j. shields. i'm on it!

oucheee! $14.99 for the kindle book! but i gotta have it, christmas is coming....:)

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #1883
Chef Extraordinaire

i have been forgetting to post in this thread. so, to catchup. in the last month i have read, four books by Charline Harris. they are about vampires, werewolves, and shift changers. in some cases very funny, and in general is a different take on the current vampire wave.

also read" false testimony" by rose Connors, and" one for the money" by Janet evanovich.

as you know reading is my passion , so if i don't post here, you will know i am busy reading.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #1884
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
didya know, bradbury's fahrenheit 451 is now available as an ebook! as a rule, i don't do a lot of rereads, but fahrenheit is one i look forward to reading again. wonder if there will be a dated feel to it....
I never read it, but was lucky enough to hear it read, serial-style, by Bradbury on a middle of the night show on Sirius radio (don't have it any more and miss it). It was quite a treat.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #1885
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
as you know reading is my passion , so if i don't post here, you will know i am busy reading.
Books are so much more than a pastime, aren't they? Enjoyment, education, coping mechanism -- remember Melanie's "Wish I could find a good book I could live in" ? I've felt that way and been very grateful for the comfort of an engrossing book; and if it's really good, the more pages the better.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #1886
Senior Cook

Just finished James Patterson's Run For Your Life about a minute ago. Now going to start the next one called Worst Case. I love James Patterson's books when I want some quick reading.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #1887
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Books are so much more than a pastime, aren't they? Enjoyment, education, coping mechanism -- remember Melanie's "Wish I could find a good book I could live in" ? I've felt that way and been very grateful for the comfort of an engrossing book; and if it's really good, the more pages the better.

ah, melanie...look what they done to my song--such a plaintive, haunting sound she had...living in books is one of my most pleasurable pastimes. i loved melanie's candles in the rain album, would listen to it for hours--beautiful people, candles in the rain (lay down), citiest people....thanks tinlizzie, for bringing me a good memory today....
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #1888
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
If you have not read it already try Food of a Younger Land.
Thanks Aunt Bea, just added to my Amazon wish list!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #1889
Executive Chef

food of a younger land costs $5.99 on kindle. the nook book of this title is $12.99. i always compare prices. sometimes it is the nook book that is cheaper.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #1890
Wine Guy

From what I've read of the reviews, "Food of a Younger Land" contains a number of recipes. For that reason, I'll probably buy the paper version. I've bought recipe books for the Kindle before, and I find they don't always translate well to the electronic format.

I find myself using audio books a lot these days. I don't have as much time as I would like for reading, so I download books and play them through my car's audio system. They make the morning commute go much quicker.

Of course anything with recipes doesn't translate well to audio books, either.