Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished "The Postmistress" by Sarah Blake. I didn't think I'd like it and it was a bit turgid at the beginning but it was a very good read when it got going.

All about a letter that was withheld in the post during the Second world war.

Recommended.

Just finished "The Postmistress" by Sarah Blake. I didn't think I'd like it and it was a bit turgid at the beginning but it was a very good read when it got going.

All about a letter that was withheld in the post during the Second world war.

Recommended.

MC, I adore historical novels, and that looks like something I'd really like.

There's another that I'm half way through and loving it...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16127238-letters-from-skye

I'm still interested in Urban Fantasy...

I just finished Nalini Singh's "Shards Of Hope" and I'm next in line at Los Angeles Public Library for "Allegiance of Honor!" (her just released new novel in this series).

I liked Singh's Psy-changling series a lot more than her Guild Hunter. Wow have I ever changed since we first started discussing urban fantasy! As I said, I now read the racy parts too, and shamefully, enjoy them! LOLOL!

Have you read Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series? Veronica Roth's Divergent series? (If not, the first three were nearly the best books I ever read but I hated the closer.) Anne Bishop's Black Jewels series?

And I have two killers if you haven't read them yet. Must, must read!!! (1) Anne Bishop's The Others series, I just recently read the most recent and I'd kill for the next one and I'm sure it's coming. (2) Amy Lee Burke's Wolf Within series, now waiting for #8. I've actually exchanged emails with Amy!!! She had better be typing on #8 right now! She's got a great were series where the werewolves are only born to were parents, and they would be as disgusted as you or I to drink blood. In her world humans are not aware of the weres. The weres are organized globally and the conflict is between two factions.

Currently reading "Midnight Thief" by Livia Blackburne (just started, has the earmarks of gonna be good) and I just checked out "Unwanted" a novella by Jennifer Estep from her Elemental Assassin series. I have "Allegiance of Hope" reserved in at least 3 libraries and hope to read it by mid September latest!

Ohhhhh! Can't believe I forgot Karen Marie Moning and her Fever series. I just finished the latest "Feverborn" (#8) released last month I think, and the ending makes it a FOR SURE there will be another sequel. Again, haven't read it? Start at #1.

-----

My pardons to one of my email friends who I think I met at DC (or a soapmaking forum) but this post above is mostly a C&P of an email I recently sent her.

-----

I'm running a special on urban fantasy this week! ;) Read the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlane Harris. It was a basis for the HBO adaption titled "True Blood." The series is now complete (the final 13th novel) and every one totally enjoyed by me. Sookie is a Louisiana coffee shop waitress who has a very unusual handicap: she can read minds, she's telepathic! (Not to give anything away, but telepathy is so unusual that she meets only two other telepaths in the entire series. People who know she can read minds refuse to believe it or just ignore it thinking she's crazy.) In the series she gets involved in various other species (besides humans) including vampires and weres (several sub-species). There is some romance but only a miniscule amount of explicit sex, just perfect for those who can speed read the racy stuff, but anybody who wants bodice rippers will be disappointed.

Speaking of bodice rippers and romantic urban fantasy, the standard test is: "Would the novel stand on its own if you deleted the explicit parts." None of the series and books I have mentioned fail this test -- all would stand if you simply skip over or speed read the racy/explicit parts.

I have encountered only one true bodice ripper and of the 50 pages I completed if the editor ripped out the explicit parts you could read it in 5 minutes! I'll never recommend any books like that to anybody.

I've been reading urban fantasy and urban romantic fantasy for the last 3-4 years and I'll always be happy to discuss or recommend books for any forum members who request it.

For those who want to start out light, I'd recommend Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series book #1 or the Stackhouse novels book #1 I just discussed. If you enjoy either novel it's a sign you have a whole genre of enjoyment waiting! And when reading urban fantasy I have yet to find a series where you would want to start anywhere but the series debut novel, then read in order of publication date.

Last edited:
I have read Roth's Divergent series and started Charlaine Harris' Sookie stories right before we moved and got busy. Thanks for the recommendations. It's hard to find where to start with new series and if they are even worth the read.

It's easy with the Sookie Stackhouse stories, just read them in order of publication date. Google "Sookie Stackhouse reading order" for the list. I enjoyed the whole series and I'll miss Sookie since it was clear that the series finale was indeed a finale. But don't worry, Ms. Harris ended it well.

Oh my gosh Divergent was one of the best books I ever read. #2 and #3 were good too. Roth should have quit while she was ahead.

Now I'm mixed opinion if I'll ever read any more of her books. But OMG the series opener was just staggeringly wonderful, a young lady so full of life, so full of the joy of living and living on the very edge. I could almost just read #1 again just for the sheer joy of the book.

Some books/series are so potently emotional they sometimes make me cry or at least take me to tears to the degree I have to pause reading. Divergent was one of them.

Stackhouse was just fun, thriller, suspense, anticipation, exciting, intriguing, inviting, addictive, no negativity at all except as necessary as plot suspense support. Good from the first book to the last book. If you read this series and like it you are ready to graduate to being an official urban fantasy fan.

I like to think of Amy Lee Burgess as a friend. Read her "Wolf Within" series starting book #1 and you may appreciate the evolution or what we authors call "character arc" as her protagonist advances as the series progresses. I'm about to write Amy and ask her when we can expect #8. Maybe get a title if she's willing to tell me and release me to name it publicly, hopefully an expected publication date too. I'm usually cheap and get my books from the public libraries but I'm not waiting for Wolf Within #8.

I have never found an exception. Unless advised otherwise by those who know, always read fantasy series starting with book #1 and in order of publication date. I can't think of a single exception where the character and plot didn't evolve with each new sequel, and in most cases any choice in the series will be enjoyable read as a stand alone, but you will have much greater appreciation of the nuances of character arc and plot progression if you read them (usually) in order of publishing date.

Sometimes authors take partial scripts and release them as novellas and often the novellas fit between two full novels (Jane Yellowrock series for example) so you can google {series name} reading order to sleuth these ones out, although with the Yellowrock novellas it didn't matter to me.

I'd save the novellas for when you can't get any of the full novels. Really, I'm pretty sure the authors are just recycling script cuts and ideas that didn't work out as full novels but had appreciable work put in, and decided to release them on the bargain shelf as teasers for those book sharks who are circling around the next full release.

Just like I'm sharking circles around Amy Lee Burgess's Wolf Within #8. I'll let you know if she shares anything with me I can speak of, although I doubt she'd tell me unless it was okay for the public at large. She's friendly and approachable, but I am after all a mere fan although I've told her I'd like to take a shot at writing an urban fantasy novel myself.

Hey good thing, my life has shifted a lot in the last couple months, both for good and for bad, but it appears that if my business stays quiet I'll have the rest of the year for enjoying life, for new projects, for travel, for becoming once again more adventurous at my stove.

Maybe I can start designing a fantasy world of my own, create some character biographies, start working on a plot and plot twists. Gotta remember that character arc stuff, important in novels, extremely important in series. Why? You can't write the same novel several times without the main protagonist going through changes. It's a necessary element of successful series.

Best part of all, Amazon is turning out to becoming a significant player in producing new literature particularly ebooks. I know authors who have started out on Amazon and stayed with them and their works available only in ebook at Amazon.

Takeaway: read series in order of publication date unless told otherwise by knowledgeable people.

Since I fly frequently have just finished "Plane Insanity".......a very light read and fun as well .......written by an ex flight attendant.........he "circles" through all the background drama that goes on that we have very little awareness of..........and also the nitty-gritti of the preparation that is required of their jobs.......I came away with far more respect for their jobs and how they protect us..........good, light read.........

I recently finished "The Bees," by Laline Paull, a really interesting novel about life in a beehive. It's especially fascinating to me since we started two beehives this year. It describes the life cycle of the bees and how the hive functions, along with the (probably ;)) fictional description of their religious life and icons. The Queen Mother indeed rules the hive.

And as a graphic designer, I love the cover design, with the hexagonal cut-outs resembling the comb.

Attachments

• 1472496168651.jpg
    1472496168651.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 108
I just got done reading the final Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter. The title is THE REMORSEFUL DAY. Wow, what an ending. Lots of twists and turns.

I picked up a book at the library yesterday (Thursday), then sat up late reading. Tonight I'll be starting "Throw like a Woman" on page 98. Written by Susan Petrone, one of the co-founders of a Cleveland Indians blog called "It's Pronounced Lajaway", I've enjoyed the articles I've read there and on her personal blog. So far, this book has not disappointed. I hope I have the good sense to go to bed earlier tonight, though.

I'm reading Jo Nesbo's The Bat (don't know how I missed that one). Recently finished reading American Food, the Gastronomic Story by Evan Jones (I found it very interesting). Also just finished Tim O'Brien's In the Lake of the Woods. I have Annie Proulx's Fine Just the Way it is and Louise Erdrich's La Rose waiting on deck. I have been reading a lot this summer.

Last edited:
...Tonight I'll be starting "Throw like a Woman" on page 98. Written by Susan Petrone...
Tonight I finished "Throw Like a Woman", and all I have to say is "grrrrrrrr". :glare: The ending...wasn't. It's not like it's a "to be continued" kind of ending, but the two, simultaneous story lines she was writing just...ended. Not finished, ended. What happens to that ball she just threw? Did she get the batter out? Does she continue to see the sportscaster in a romantic way, or is it strictly a working relationship? Arggggg!

I guess I'll say I loved the book...until the last two pages. :wacko:

Tonight I finished "Throw Like a Woman", and all I have to say is "grrrrrrrr". :glare: The ending...wasn't. It's not like it's a "to be continued" kind of ending, but the two, simultaneous story lines she was writing just...ended. Not finished, ended. What happens to that ball she just threw? Did she get the batter out? Does she continue to see the sportscaster in a romantic way, or is it strictly a working relationship? Arggggg!

I guess I'll say I loved the book...until the last two pages. :wacko:

I'd be tempted to write to the author! Ask her if she just got tired of the story or had to meet a deadline. That's like quitting before the job is finished. Maybe she is really writing a sequel?

Kayelle, I actually think this ending was exactly as the author intended. I like neat little packages of "finished" when I read. Unless it's a true crime sort of book. Those just sometimes aren't finished stories. But I go into those kinds of books knowing how it might end. The entire story leading up to the very last page gives you enough information about the make-up of the lead character, so I probably finished it off in my mind with a satisfactory ending. I'm guessing this was a one-and-done.

I did post a comment on the author's blog. It will be interesting to see if I ever get a reply. She has replied to others' comments, so there is hope.

Kayelle, I actually think this ending was exactly as the author intended. I like neat little packages of "finished" when I read. Unless it's a true crime sort of book. Those just sometimes aren't finished stories. But I go into those kinds of books knowing how it might end. The entire story leading up to the very last page gives you enough information about the make-up of the lead character, so I probably finished it off in my mind with a satisfactory ending. I'm guessing this was a one-and-done.

I did post a comment on the author's blog. It will be interesting to see if I ever get a reply. She has replied to others' comments, so there is hope.

I'd be interested to hear if you get a reply CG. The SC often emails his famous authors directly and gets direct responses from them.

Just got done reading AUNT DIMITY AND THE BURIED TREASURE, by Nancy Atherton. Always a joy to read her books. She has written twenty Aunt Dimity mysteries, I have read them all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom