"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #1901
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
steven king's "black house" i am about half way through. written with peter straub. kinda drags in some places. just called library and eight books are on the way in the mail.

That wasn't too bad of a continuation, but The Talisman was, um.. much better.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #1902
Wine Guy

Currently reading "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. Interesting book that relates the historical context of six beverages: beer, wine, tea, coffee, spirits, and Coca-Cola.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1903
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i have been forgetting to post in this thread. so, to catchup. in the last month i have read, four books by Charline Harris. they are about vampires, werewolves, and shift changers. in some cases very funny, and in general is a different take on the current vampire wave.
I enjoy those books as well. So much so that I was inspired to start watching the TrueBlood series on HBO. It does deviate from the books quite a bit but it's still a fun and strangely entertaining show.

I've had my nose buried in Mark Bittmans' The Food Matters Cookbook for something to fuel my brain and kitchen enthusiasm. I just started Ted Dekker's Circle Triolgy for pure entertainment.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #1904
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
I enjoy those books as well. So much so that I was inspired to start watching the TrueBlood series on HBO. It does deviate from the books quite a bit but it's still a fun and strangely entertaining show.
Quite a bit? Anyone ever give you an award for understatement?

They do, umm, use mostly the same characters.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #1905
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just finished the Rowan series by Anne McCaffrey and am switching back to The Gripping Hand by Niven & Pournelle. It's a little confusing between the Mrdini and the Moties.

This should be fun!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #1906
Senior Cook

I am a big fantasy/sci fi fan, I read it almost exclusively. With the occasional mystery thrown in.

Right now I am reading Cursors Fury by Jim Butcher. I loved his Harry Dresden Series so I figured I would try his other books.

Next up is Hunger Games, my mother said it was very good. So figured I should give it a shot before the movie comes out.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #1907
Chef Extraordinaire

For Christmas i got "Michael Vey" By Richard Paul Evans, I am looking forward to getting enough time to read it soon.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #1908
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaNY View Post
I am a big fantasy/sci fi fan, I read it almost exclusively. With the occasional mystery thrown in.

Right now I am reading Cursors Fury by Jim Butcher. I loved his Harry Dresden Series so I figured I would try his other books.

Next up is Hunger Games, my mother said it was very good. So figured I should give it a shot before the movie comes out.
How is the Fantasy series by Butcher? I really like the Dresden books.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #1909
Head Chef

Just finished a Body Farm novel - Carved in Bone. Another good one by the Jefferson Bass duo. And zoomed through Betty White's If You Ask Me. Still working on Simon Mawer's book Mendel's Dwarf, a story alledgedly by a descendent of Gregor Mendel, with all kinds of interesting info on the original pea project. The Mathematics! My nemesis. Also about halfway through The Food of a Younger Land - Mark Kurlansky. Good, but puts me to sleep. Looks like I'll have to renew it.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #1910
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love the Body Farm books. Too expensive for me to donate to it, though. I looked into it when I read the first book.

I loved "Salt" by Kurlansky, but have found his other books too dry and difficult to read.