Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a library run yesterday and swapped one-in-one-out. The book I returned was "Waste-free kitchen handbook : guide to eating well and saving money by wasting less food". I had read an article online that said the average 4-person household tosses $120 worth of food, on average, each month. Really? I had to see what is wasted. Since there are just two of us, I "should" be tossing $60 a month, or $15 a week. I seriously believe I toss less than $15 a quarter! This begs the question: who is throwing out my share of once-consumable food? :ermm:

The book I picked up is "Pancakes in Paris" by Craig Carlson. It's a cute little memoir that I can pick up and put down at will. Meanwhile, I've had a cozy mystery, Dead Cold Brew, waiting for me to finish the food waste book. Looks like I'll be reading two books at once. No cleaning getting done for a couple of days...

A very engaging book, "The Shack", I liked it so much I sent a copy to my best friend one to my best relative. My best relative wrote back 30 hours after receiving it saying she just read the whole thing. She said she felt it was also very engaging with interesting concepts and ideas, some of which she agreed with and some not. It is a good book to read and it gives you ideas to think about, even now weeks later I'm still going over some of it. I liked it a lot.

Now I'm reading "The Host", a totally different kind of fiction. I'm enjoying it.

...I've had a cozy mystery, Dead Cold Brew, waiting for me to finish the food waste book. Looks like I'll be reading two books at once. No cleaning getting done for a couple of days...
I started Dead Cold Brew late Saturday night. Kept reading "just one more chapter" until I was up way later than my usual late. Decided on Sunday that I would finish it early so I didn't have to read into the wee hours of the morning. I'm happy to report that the book had a satisfying ending...and that I finished it before the sun went down.

Now it's time for ME to sunset into bed. :LOL: G'night.

I finished reading "Pancakes in Paris" a couple days ago. Today I'll do a swap at the library. Not sure yet what book or books will follow me home this time.

"Pancakes..." was a fun read. Fun for me, not so much for the author as he described all the problems he encountered while starting and maintaining his dream American-style diner in Paris.

Just got a call today from the library to pick up the copy of JOANNE FLUKES new Hannah Swensen Mystery (I was on the waiting list). Great mysteries and lots of good recipes.

Currently listening to a couple audio books but my in-hand hard copy book is Little Princes by Conor Grennan. Very interesting book and makes me angry at times because of the subject. The author was here last month for a speaking engagement but I wasn't able to attend. Wish I had. Book is very, very good. Mr. Grennan is a very tender-hearted and caring young man.

I had two books follow me home from the library today. One was "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", a book I've known about for years but kept forgetting to pick up. The other is selected for its large-print quality: "The Murder of King Tut: The Plot to Kill the Child King" by James Patterson. Unlike his novels, this one is a non-fiction thriller mystery, an investigation report. If it's not scary, I'll be able to read it in the basement while pedaling away on my recumbent bike.

Just got a call today from the library to pick up the copy of JOANNE FLUKES new Hannah Swensen Mystery...
I forgot to mention the name of the mystery, its BANANA CREAM PIE MURDER.
Ooo, a new one? The last of hers that I've read was "Double fudge brownie murder". I made one of her cookie recipes, but I'm not really a baker. I have, however, made quite a few recipes from Diane Mott Davidson's "Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery" series. Sadly, she hasn't written a new book in four years. I hope she continues on with Goldy again.

Once Upon A Time

It Was The Best Of Times, it was the worst of times

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night

All good first sentences in a book.

I read this on the internets, so you know it's gotta be good:
Whatever book or subject you are reading, read the first sentence out loud, and regardless of what follows, insert as the 2nd sentence-- "And then the murders began."

Ok, I'm going back to bed now.

Last edited:
Once Upon A Time

It Was The Best Of Times, it was the worst of times

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night

All good first sentences in a book.

I read this on the internets, so you know it's gotta be good:
Whatever book or subject you are reading, read the first sentence out loud, and regardless of what follows, insert as the 2nd sentence-- "And then the murders began."

Ok, I'm going back to bed now.

Party Pooper...

I finished reading "Pancakes in Paris" a couple days ago. Today I'll do a swap at the library. Not sure yet what book or books will follow me home this time.

"Pancakes..." was a fun read. Fun for me, not so much for the author as he described all the problems he encountered while starting and maintaining his dream American-style diner in Paris.

That sounds like an interesting read. Think I will put it on my wish list for later reads.

I had two books follow me home from the library today. One was "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", a book I've known about for years but kept forgetting to pick up.

Dr. Howard Jones, the gynecologist who treated her and retrieved the immortal cells, eventually came to the medical school where I used to work. He and his wife, Georgeanna, also a gynecologist, went on to pioneer in vitro fertilization in the United States and were responsible for the first "test-tube" baby born in the United States.

I'd like to read that book, too.

A first time out for me in the category of fun reads (Pancakes goes on my to-read list - thanks, CG) is a J. B. Stanley "Supper Club mystery" -- Carbs & Cadavers. Some recipes are included.

It's non-stressful reading, which is very welcome from time to time. IMO the only minus since carbs and sugar in my diet have become limited, is the color paperback cover featuring pizza and chocolate chip cookies. groan :(

Girl Waits with Gun by Amy Stewart.. This is enjoyable historical fiction ...

I recommend No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.. Wonderful series, best read in sequence..

Ross

In the non-fiction genre, I recently finished:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/11/books/review/Chotiner-t.html?_r=0

Also by Elizabeth Abbott: Dogs and Underdogs https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Underdogs-Finding-Happiness-Leash/dp/067006825X

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzed-Drugs-Third-Norman-Ohler/dp/1328663795

The Word Detective https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-serendipity-to-selfie-by-john-simpson-review

In the fiction arena, my latest favorite Swedish author is Arne Dahl.

https://www.amazon.com/Bad-Blood-Crime-Vintage-Lizard/dp/0307388042

https://www.amazon.com/Misterioso-Crime-Novel-Vintage-Lizard/dp/0307388034

My favourite current Norwegian author is Anne Holt. Although, I must say, I am still in love with anything by Jo Nesbo.

Currently reading:

True Believer. Stalin's last American Spy by Kati Marton.

I have a somewhat eclectic taste when it comes to what catches my eye when I go to the library.

Last edited:
Managing to stay ahead of the Starz series, American Gods, by Neil Gaiman. Loved the story when I first read it and still love it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom