Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started "Feast and Sorrow: A Novel of Ancient Rome," by Crystal King. It's the story of the slave cook Thrasius to the aristocrat/epicure Apicius. It includes lots of interesting descriptions of ancient Roman houses and the foods the wealthy ate. Very interesting so far.

I learned to read before I even started school. And I loved it. I always had a book in my hand growing up. In high school, I read every novel in the school library. Then had to go to the public one.

But since I moved in here, I have stopped doing any of my crafts, sewing, crocheting, etc. or mostly reading. And I have no excuse. I even sent for a set of Readers Digest hard cover books and there they sit, on the bookcase, waiting for me to pick up one of them.

That sounds like depression, Addie.

I am halfway through Time Travel by James Gleich. Then I'm going to the other extreme. I ordered a book I hadn't read since I was in second grade and I have to go pick it up this afternoon. "Pumpkin, Ginger and Spice". All I remember is it's about three little dachshunds who wear little raincoats and leashes and collars. One dog wears red, one dog wears yellow, and one wears green.

I'm reading "The Hideaway" by Lauren K. Denton, just started it and its really good so far. Its set in Alabama.

That sounds like depression, Addie.

I am halfway through Time Travel by James Gleich. Then I'm going to the other extreme. I ordered a book I hadn't read since I was in second grade and I have to go pick it up this afternoon. "Pumpkin, Ginger and Spice". All I remember is it's about three little dachshunds who wear little raincoats and leashes and collars. One dog wears red, one dog wears yellow, and one wears green.

No. I have never been depressed about anything. I get mad at myself and then I do something about what made me mad in the first place.

I really don't have a comfortable place to sit. Poo bought me a nice chair when I first moved in here. The seat was just too big for me. I need a chair with a short depth. I didn't have the heart to tell him his error. Then Pirate came and took over the chair. Now the cover is all worn out and when he is gone, the chair goes with him. Then I can go and find a chair that fits me and has a short depth.

Non fiction: The 14 Histories of Italy:
Imperial Rome
Torino & Savoy
Naples & The King of Spain
Venice & The Maltese Court
Tuscany & The Renaissance
Sicily, A Greek Island ?
To name a few of the chapters I am about to finish.

I had two books follow me home from the library today. One was "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"...
Just finished making friends with Henrietta (or more like her daughter, Deborah) and the journalist, Rebecca Skloot, who wrote this novel-like book and brought Henrietta's life to...life! It's been one of those "I laughed, I cried" kind of books. Skloot writes with tenderness when covering Henrietta's family, interesting details when explaining science and genetic biology, dismay with a touch of anger about medicine's process of using human cells with no consent from "donors" offset by understanding of the many wonderful medical processes that have developed using that process. A great read.

I learned to read before I even started school. And I loved it. I always had a book in my hand growing up. In high school, I read every novel in the school library. Then had to go to the public one.

But since I moved in here, I have stopped doing any of my crafts, sewing, crocheting, etc. or mostly reading. And I have no excuse. I even sent for a set of Readers Digest hard cover books and there they sit, on the bookcase, waiting for me to pick up one of them.
I was reading by the time I was 2 years old. I was reading in Spanish before I was 5 yrs old thanks to my uncle who lived in SA. I love to read. When my brother passed away, to keep the nightmares away, I would read. I can go through 2-4 books a day.

I have little notebooks that I keep--I jot down interesting phrases, etc. from books. I just love words and love to read. I will read just about anything.

I have little notebooks that I keep--I jot down interesting phrases, etc. from books. I just love words and love to read. I will read just about anything.

I read anything and everything, even cereal boxes. We MUST be related.

I just finished a book that Cooking Goddess had mentioned -- Pancakes in Paris by Craig Carlson. The author's mostly cheerful endurance reminded me of the unsinkable Molly Brown. I was happy for his ultimate success in opening and running an American Breakfast restaurant in Paris, and enlightened and astounded at the amount of French red tape and regulations he had to conquer. He did persist. Thanks, CG.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, tin! Yes, the French red tape! Sacre Bleu!

Because of your review of the J. B. Stanley book, I checked out her books on Cozy Mysteries. That woman is busy! Apparently she writes under three different names, plus co-writes a series with another under a fourth name! I want to start reading the Supper Club series...one of these days. :LOL: I have a lot of catching up to do with four or five others, plus a rapidly growing pile of magazines. Arrgghhh! :wacko:

How is that "Feast of Sorrow" moving along, GG? It sounds a little bit interesting...

The time-before-last when I stopped at the library, I noticed a new "Joanne Fluke" mystery, "Banana Cream Pie Murder". I brought it home, started to read it...and thought "when did Hannah go on her honeymoon? :huh: When did she get married? :ermm:". Back to the library it went when the two earlier books I didn't read arrived. Except I did read one of them - I guess I missed the title when I skimmed my reading history list on my library account. Either that or I accidentally scrubbed the name the last time I purged my list. Anyway, I started "Wedding Cake Murder" last night. And off to read it now. If you want me, I'll be in the sun room with Joanne, Hannah...and a glass of wine. ;) Cheers!

YAM Magazine, Published By: Multi Michelin French Chef Yannick Alleno of Stay Restaurant ..

When I travel, I prefer magazines verses books. They are lighter to carry !

I got hooked on 2 series by CLR Dougherty. One is the Connie Berrara series, about a woman and her husband running a charter yacht in the Caribbean. The other is the Bluewater series, about two young ladies running a charter operation.
They run afoul of all kinds of people, and have a cast of island characters that is great.
All of these women "take no prisoners" and it is great to see them represented that way instead of as "shrinking violets"

3 that I'm presently working on...

Heyday by Kurt Andersen..

An Impartial Witness by Charles Todd

Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson...

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom