"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #1931
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I briefy thought about the donation thing, but very briefly - not long enough to look into it. I'm glad others are willing and able.

Salt was his first for me, and I was going to order up Cod, but I agree about the dryness of this one and wonder if I need to do the New England fish industry - although it was on the news again this morning, dealing with new limits on cod and difficulties for the coast fishermen.

With all the restrictions being placed on our fishing industry, soon we won't have one. The only ones fishing now are fathers who hope to have sons take over their boat and traditions.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #1932
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, yesterday I got my new reading chair (Xmas present from youngest son) and there is one copy of The Help making the rounds through the building. Finally!!! It is my turn. So I will be sitting down to read it.

I am thinking of going up to the library and getting A Woman of Substance by Barbara Bradford again. It is a very powerful book. And there are a couple of more books that continue the saga.

I also have a hard copy of The Reckoning by Sharon Kay Penman. It takes place in Wales and England. It is based on history during the days of feudalism. I love historical novels.

I can handle only one book at a time.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #1933
Executive Chef

I'm just getting into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Very weird having everything happening in Sweden, a place I have never been and know nothing about.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #1934
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I'm just getting into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Very weird having everything happening in Sweden, a place I have never been and know nothing about.
If there are Swedish words that I would find hard to pronounce, then I would lose interest very fast.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #1935
Executive Chef

Quote:
Weird good or weird bad? I've read many novels set in places I've never been, and sometimes I get tired of novels sited where I'm most familiar (So. Cal.). Sometimes it's nice to have a little bit of strange, although it seems to me that Sweden is very different from the US.

Scandinavian literature has been becoming very popularly lately in the US if presence on the library shelves is any indication. I've read several novels lately by Swedish, Norwegian or Danish authors. (These novels are often translated into English, and I suspect only the best ones are worthy of the effort of translation.) In truth I'm a bit set off too by the cultural differences, find it a bit jarring, but everything considered I've liked more of these novels than not.

I think GWTDT is a cut above the rest, and if you're like me you'll absorb the cultural differences quickly and move on to focusing on the characters and plot.

I think you can count on the plot picking up as you get past the first hundred pages or so. I'd really love to hear your opinion later in your read or after you've finished the book.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #1936
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I found that very difficult to deal with. I went about 100 pages before it was not bugging me anymore.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 AM   #1937
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I read the words as I would read an unpronounceable name in SF, that pattern of letters is "this" and head on from there. I didn't even attempt to try to say the words, there is no way I was going to learn Swedish so I could read a book. I'm too busy playing with Japanese.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #1938
Master Chef

I'm reading Jeffrey Archer's start on his newest saga, Only Time Will Tell. It always amazes me that some authors can keep on going like the Energizer Bunny.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #1939
Chef Extraordinaire

we're reading the "diary of a wimpy kid" series.

i think i like them more than my son does...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #1940
Executive Chef

My son bought me "What They'll Never Tell You About The Music Busness" by Peter M. Thall. Once things settle down I'm gonna get into it.