"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #1941
Master Chef

I, too, have noticed an increase in whodunits by Scandinavian authors. For the most part, I enjoy them, but they are usually on the dark side (I kinda have a weakness for English cozy authors). I do read a lot of books in translation simply because I enjoy the world travel vicariously. There are some authors I have a hard time with. Russians. Way too much gloom and doom and negativity, they can put you in a depressed funk. There are two Turkish authors, one I like a lot, one I can't stand (the latter, I think, got a Nobel prize!). Since I love murder mysteries, there is one Belgian I enjoy. Maigret mysteries are translated by two different translators, one I like, the other I don't. But overall, I like the insight into different cultures.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:27 PM   #1942
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I read the words as I would read an unpronounceable name in SF, that pattern of letters is "this" and head on from there. I didn't even attempt to try to say the words, there is no way I was going to learn Swedish so I could read a book. I'm too busy playing with Japanese.
Wakadi mas. However, I do speak German, and Swedish is a Germanic language, so pronounciation isn't that much of a problem. My problem is I don't know the cities, which makes it difficult to follow the story, and the characters, without a map.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM   #1943
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, have noticed an increase in whodunits by Scandinavian authors. For the most part, I enjoy them, but they are usually on the dark side (I kinda have a weakness for English cozy authors). I do read a lot of books in translation simply because I enjoy the world travel vicariously. There are some authors I have a hard time with. Russians. Way too much gloom and doom and negativity, they can put you in a depressed funk. There are two Turkish authors, one I like a lot, one I can't stand (the latter, I think, got a Nobel prize!). Since I love murder mysteries, there is one Belgian I enjoy. Maigret mysteries are translated by two different translators, one I like, the other I don't. But overall, I like the insight into different cultures.
You won't be seeing any more from this particular author. He wrote two more books about girls who did dumb stuff (one kicked a hornets nest and the other played with fire), and then he died.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #1944
Master Chef

One of my favorite authors from Sweden is Henning Mankell. I love his series with Inspector Kurt Wallander. I have read all of his books on this series, he even has a DVD out from the mysteries being on PBS (which I also have).
Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #1945
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
One of my favorite authors from Sweden is Henning Mankell. I love his series with Inspector Kurt Wallander. I have read all of his books on this series, he even has a DVD out from the mysteries being on PBS (which I also have).
Have you read The Troubled Man? I just finished it, and mostly enjoyed it but it ruined my desire to read previous books in the series due to the ending. Anybody who wants to read the series should read this one last.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #1946
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
You won't be seeing any more from this particular author. He wrote two more books about girls who did dumb stuff (one kicked a hornets nest and the other played with fire), and then he died.
The same girl in all three books.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:08 PM   #1947
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Have you read The Troubled Man? I just finished it, and mostly enjoyed it but it ruined my desire to read previous books in the series due to the ending. Anybody who wants to read the series should read this one last.
You definitely should read them all in order, his first one was called Faceless Killers (1991). Here is a site to see all he has written.

Henning Mankell
Old 12-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #1948
Executive Chef

There's a significant part of the fourth novel in the series completed, and if Larsson's family can quit quibbling it's quite possible that a ghost writer could complete the fourth either as a novel, screenplay or both. If this ever happens the likely cause will be if the three American version movies make huge amounts of money and the producers want to hit the piggy bank again.

"Larsson left about three quarters of a fourth novel on a notebook computer, now possessed by his partner, Eva Gabrielsson; synopses or manuscripts of the fifth and sixth in the series, which he intended to contain an eventual total of ten books, may also exist." (source)

I think it's more likely than not that the fourth novel will not be completed, but when there's money involved it sometimes tips the scale. As I said, demand for a fourth movie would drive the desire to complete the fourth in the series.

Other writers have died and then gone on to produce new books, like for example Robert Ludlum and his Bourne series, the latest having been written by Eric von Lustbader.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #1949
Master Chef

Just finished reading THE VAULT by Ruth Rendell. I have read all of her Inspector Wexford mysteries, there are 23 of them. As you can tell I am a big fan of hers.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #1950
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"The Overlook," by Michael Connelly, one of his older Harry Bosch stories.