Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a book behind on Krista Davis' "Domestic Diva Mystery" books. She has a new one coming out next month and I haven't read the latest yet. I picked up a copy from the library on Thursday, cracked it open late last night to read a few chapters, and after heading down the basement to day to flip laundry from the washer to the dryer and do ten minutes on the recumbent bike...I'm halfway through the book. Yeah, those 10 minutes ended up being 30. :LOL: If I keep getting large-print books (easier to read when you're on an exercise machine) and reading on the bike, I just might get a little fit! That would be a good thing...

"The Diva Serves High Tea" by Krista Davis

I was a book behind on Krista Davis' "Domestic Diva Mystery" books. She has a new one coming out next month and I haven't read the latest yet. I picked up a copy from the library on Thursday, cracked it open late last night to read a few chapters, and after heading down the basement to day to flip laundry from the washer to the dryer and do ten minutes on the recumbent bike...I'm halfway through the book. Yeah, those 10 minutes ended up being 30. :LOL: If I keep getting large-print books (easier to read when you're on an exercise machine) and reading on the bike, I just might get a little fit! That would be a good thing...

"The Diva Serves High Tea" by Krista Davis

Due to their cliental, Winthrop has all large print books for reading. I have taken a couple home and you are right. They are easier to read. So now I know where to get my books for reading.

Who knows. You might not only get in shape, but also lose a few u nwanted pounds.

Gonna take a lot of pedaling to lose as many pounds as I should, Addie. :LOL:

Well, the good news is I won't be staying up late to read more of that book. The bad news is I stayed up until I was done Saturday-into-Sunday. One should not close the book, look up, and see daybreak light in the sky. :ermm: Ah, what the heck. We're retired! :D

Reading "Flat Broke with Two Goats"..A memoir by Jennifer McGaha..

Half way through it and its seemingly an honest portrayal of a period of her life... My immediate take so far is that I'm glad I'm not her..

Ross

The Kafir Project by Lee Burvine. It's sort of a sci-fi thriller. And not sci-fi like in Star Wars, but through introducing technology that doesn't exist into today's world. It's really good.

I stopped by my favorite bookstore, AKA the town library, and picked up the latest offering in Cleo Coyle's "Coffeehouse Mystery" series. A Shot in the Dark is the 17th book that the wife/husband team of Alice Alfonsi and Marc Cerasini have written. Seventeen! Unless things have changed, this latest book will be just as fresh and interesting as all of the books before it.

See you guys later! I've got a mystery book and a glass of wine!

I'll have to look into those, CG... :)

I've read a little of this and a little of that, the past two weeks..

Longbourn by Jo Baker
TransAtlantic by Colum McCann
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton
Robicheaux by James Lee Burke
Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear

Ross

I am reading Tolkien's Ring by David Day, it's non-fiction on how J.R.R. Tolkien created his mythology and the sources he used to create the world of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. I love mythology!

Just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.

It was a good read. Not as dark as her other books, but still plenty dark as is her wont. Made my way through it in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending was a bit predictable, but that's OK. It's not like every book's ending can be a surprise. It's her descriptive prose that keeps me enthralled.

The Diabetes Code, by Dr. Jason Fung. Subtitle: Prevent and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes Naturally.

It works, I am now off all my diabetes medications and have been able to cut my blood pressure meds in half.

I recently finished the Rabbit in Red trilogy by Joe Chianakas. It's a thriller based on the horror genre; not really horror in and of itself, in my opinion. It's somewhat Stephen King-like, though for a younger audience. They were easy, entertaining reads.

Last weekend I finished reading "The Lifeboat" by Charlotte Rogan for my book club meeting tonight. It's going to be a great discussion - this book has a lot of interesting themes: class, power, manipulation, survival and more. It's about survivors of a Titanic-like shipwreck and how they endure on an overcrowded lifeboat in the North Atlantic for three weeks. And then some are prosecuted. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Getting settled has taken much of my time but, I have managed to read a few books in the last couple of weeks.. I seem to read, mainly, before sleeping these days..

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Varina by Charles Frazier
Thirteen Ways of Looking by Colum McCann
Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

Ross

I'm currently sorting through the books I haven't unpacked since I moved house. In theory I'm trying sort them for the charity shop but I end up reading them. I'm currently re-reading my collection of Nevil Shute novels. Just finished "Pastoral" and about to start on "A Town Like Alice" (the eponymous "Alice" is Alice Springs, a town in Australia, not a female character!) I read them first when I was in my teens and loved then all and have re-read them a few times. I don't think old Nevil will be going to the charity shop any time soon.

(Incidentally, don't let the 1956 film of "A Town Like Alice", with Peter Finch and Virginia McKenna, put you off the book - it's only half of the story)

I've started re-reading Charlaine Harris's "Sookie Sackhouse" series - the one that the HBO series True Blood was taken from. I do about a chapter a night before bed. When I have free time during the day, I'm working on Christmas presents.

My last three reads have been two food books and a mystery. I drooled over "Everyday cooking with Jacques Pépin" and Ina Garten's "Barefoot Contessa back to basics". They are both older books, from early in their careers, but still offered good information.

The mystery was a cozy mystery (no surprise) from one of my favorite authors, Laura Childs, "Plum Tea Crazy". It's the most recent offering in her "Tea Shop Mysteries" series. Set in Charleston SC, it's so authentic to the locale that I relive our visits to Charleston every time I read her books. No real tea shop in the heart of Charleston though, alas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom