Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've mentioned them, cookieee, but not exactly in glowing terms. I took the first couple of books with us when we went on vacation to Fort Myers Beach. After all, Sanibel is just off the north end of Estero Island! I found his writing to be...pedantic. It must have taken me the entire week to read just the first book. Never did read any others. However, if you like them, that's all that counts!

Himself had to run errands on Monday, so he stopped by the library and picked up the latest Laura Childs "Cackleberry Club Mystery" book that was waiting for me. I started "Eggs on Ice" later than night and breezed through from page one through 163. I finished the book tonight (Tuesday); it was only 274 pages, if you don't count the recipes. Now I have to wait until March, which is when the latest edition in her "Tea Shop Mysteries" will be released.

CG, I know you like food related cozy mysteries and wonder if you've read Hillary Avis?

I started her first of this series and it's entertaining.

If you like smart culinary mysteries with quirky characters and quaint seaside towns, you’ll love the Death du Jour series that follows Bethany Bradstreet as she builds her career and solves crimes with the help of her friends.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42616103-crime-chowder

Last edited:
I've mentioned them, cookieee, but not exactly in glowing terms. I took the first couple of books with us when we went on vacation to Fort Myers Beach. After all, Sanibel is just off the north end of Estero Island! I found his writing to be...pedantic. It must have taken me the entire week to read just the first book. Never did read any others. However, if you like them, that's all that counts!

I know what you mean. Doc Ford could be in trouble being shot at and he goes on about something else. I just skip those paragraphs. I met RWW some years ago. He reminds me of my father and his picture on the back looks like my father. Also, we used to go to Sanibel Island for family vacations. And lot of his books are entertaining and educational.

I just finished "Year One: Chronicles of the One - Book One," by Nora Roberts. It's a dystopian novel about the end of the world as we know it when a virus wipes out more than half of the world's population. I received it at my book club's social event/book swap in December. I'm glad the second book has already been published, so I don't have to wait a year to read it [emoji38]

https://www.amazon.com/Year-One-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B06X6G8FKH

I just finished "Year One: Chronicles of the One - Book One," by Nora Roberts. It's a dystopian novel about the end of the world as we know it when a virus wipes out more than half of the world's population. I received it at my book club's social event/book swap in December. I'm glad the second book has already been published, so I don't have to wait a year to read it [emoji38]

https://www.amazon.com/Year-One-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B06X6G8FKH

:LOL:I guessed right over in the survival thread! Good read, loved it. The second is out, waiting for paperback.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned these books. 398 pages to read here. Yikes

I just finished book #19 in the Randy Wayne White's "Doc Ford" series. Set in Florida.

My next favorite is Stuart Woods "Stone Barrington" series. I think there are over 30 books.

Once in a while I will read something else in between these two series. lol

I just love to read!

I've read the Stone Barrington series. Enjoyed them all.

Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Wonderful book and I was so sorry when I finished it. Love, love, loved it! I highly recommend it.

I've read the Stone Barrington series. Enjoyed them all.

Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Wonderful book and I was so sorry when I finished it. Love, love, loved it! I highly recommend it.
My book club read that book last year. We all loved it, too. It's so beautifully written with a fascinating story.

Katie, in a few words, what is the book about?

'A Gentleman In Moscow' Is A Grand Hotel Adventure
Count Alexander Rostov — recipient of the Order of Saint Andrew, member of the Jockey Club, Master of the Hunt — is a "Former Person." Russia's new Soviet masters have sentenced him, improbably enough, to house arrest in Moscow's luxurious Metropol hotel, where he lives out his days decorating the dining room with his bon mots and dashing around like Eloise, if Eloise were set in a twee version of Stalinist Russia.

Last edited:
Absolutely a wonderful book. Yes, I know, I already said this, but it's great. I came to love the Count and his reasonings. Thoroughly fantastic story.
Katie, I went on Amazon to check it out. Clicked on the book and read the first 30 pages. I fast forward and saw it has over 400 pages of the book to read. Just curious, how many pages are in the real book?

Katie, I went on Amazon to check it out. Clicked on the book and read the first 30 pages. I fast forward and saw it has over 400 pages of the book to read. Just curious, how many pages are in the real book?

Don't really know. I've already returned it to the library. Suffice it to say, every page is worth the words on it.

It's fiction, but I would have loved to have met the Count.

I picked up two books at the library last week. Just cracked the first one open. It's "The Astronaut Wives Club", a book about the wives supporting the early astronauts in the space program. So far, so good. When I'm done with that one, I'll be reading "Driving Miss Norma : one family's journey saying "yes" to living", a book about a family who, when confronted with the fact that a family's matriarch doesn't have long to live, go off adventuring rather than put Norma into hospice. A real celebration of life.

I picked up two books at the library last week. Just cracked the first one open. It's "The Astronaut Wives Club", a book about the wives supporting the early astronauts in the space program. So far, so good. When I'm done with that one, I'll be reading "Driving Miss Norma : one family's journey saying "yes" to living", a book about a family who, when confronted with the fact that a family's matriarch doesn't have long to live, go off adventuring rather than put Norma into hospice. A real celebration of life.
Did you know there was a mini series of "The Astronaut Wives' Club"? It was really good. I wonder if it's on Netflix.

The food played a part [emoji38]

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertai...e/slideshow/vintage-food-astronaut-wives-club

I don't know about Netflix, GG, but I just checked our library system. Free videos to the rescue - they have it! We didn't watch it when it was on. I don't remember if I just didn't bother because Himself was interested, or if it conflicted with a show we really enjoy. Anyway, once I get a few more things sorted and donated or boxed, I just think I might reward myself with borrowing it and holing up in the den to watch it myself. A little cheese, a little fruit, and wine. I could feel like I'm part of the show - especially if I add a side slice of Jell-o salad. :LOL:

Did you know there was a mini series of "The Astronaut Wives' Club"? It was really good. I wonder if it's on Netflix.

The food played a part [emoji38]

https://www.bonappetit.com/entertai...e/slideshow/vintage-food-astronaut-wives-club

Thanks for that fun link GG. What struck me most, was remembering the effort most people went to in those days to make common food look pretty. It looks bizarre to most people now, and maybe it is, but it was the food fashion of mid-century America.

You can watch the series free on ABC and I will...https://abc.go.com/shows/the-astronaut-wives-club

Last edited:
Just finished The King's Curse by Philippa Gregory. Great read, but long. Some great insights into England at the time. The book ended at about 1556 or thereabouts.

I found it fascinating about how technology (or not) changed and lives were so transformed because of the rule of whomever was at rule.

Back
Top Bottom