"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #2001
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I haven't read Kings version of A Time to Remember, Stanley Shapiro's book about a man who travels back in time to prevent JFKs assassination.

Shapiro's book put me to sleep. I would hope that King did a better job of it.

There is another book along the same lines; "Time Out of Mind" by Peter Delacorte, which tells a time travel theory about how much better the world would have been if they went back in time and killed Reagan.

I haven't read that one yet either, but it's on my reading list.
I only started it yesterday, but so far I like the King book. It moves along pretty quickly.

The Peter Delacorte book sounds interesting. Might have to look into that one as well.

Sometimes I like books that put me to sleep. Probably why I read so much non-fiction.

By the way, if you like physics, you might also want to look into some of Stephen Hawkings books. I have trouble visualizing concepts, but Hawking explains things in a way that makes it both interesting and understandable.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #2002
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I only started it yesterday, but so far I like the King book. It moves along pretty quickly.

The Peter Delacorte book sounds interesting. Might have to look into that one as well.

Sometimes I like books that put me to sleep. Probably why I read so much non-fiction.

By the way, if you like physics, you might also want to look into some of Stephen Hawking's books. I have trouble visualizing concepts, but Hawking explains things in a way that makes it both interesting and understandable.
Thanks! The Physics book I just started is intended to be the text for a year to a year and a half course study. It'll probably keep me busy for at least a couple months. I read books like this pretty slowly. I want to absorb every bit of the information in them.

I read at least 4 hours a day. 2 hours in bed each evening and a couple more during the day. Later, I'll probably pick up a couple of Hawking's books.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #2003
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I just got around to starting "11/22/63" by Stephen King. The storyline seems very interesting, but I'll admit I balked at starting it because of the sheer size.

I don't read much fiction. The last King book I read was "The Stand" and that was back in the 80s.
i just can't read stephen king. i've tried several times. there might be something there but if so its hidden in the tall weeds....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #2004
Master Chef

I just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue. The fact is, I'd just picked up a light pperback, what I was looking for for the post-holiday winter doldrums, and lost it after the first chapter (literally, can't find the book). So I picked this up from my shelf of books I bought at sales and people have given me (most of my books come from the library). NOT what the doctor ordered, but still fascinating. Finally braved the almost-thawed roads to go to the library and am now reading some lighter fare.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #2005
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I got "The Taken," by Robert Crais, today. I'm almost done with the Cussler I'm reading, so this one will be next. Love Elvis Cole and Joe Pike stories.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #2006
Executive Chef

I'm on my public library reserve list for "The Taken" by Robert Crais and I expect to begin reading it in about 3 weeks.

I just completed Lee Child's "The Affair" and sorry to say it was not one of his best, at least in my opinion. But as always his books are very involving in the sense that they're hard to put down.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #2007
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm on my public library reserve list for "The Taken" by Robert Crais and I expect to begin reading it in about 3 weeks.

I just completed Lee Child's "The Affair" and sorry to say it was not one of his best, at least in my opinion. But as always his books are very involving in the sense that they're hard to put down.

Have you read any Crais?

I ask because, Elvis Cole and Joe Pike have a long history.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #2008
Executive Chef

PF, I've read all the Crais!!! Except his most recent of course. I've been with him since the beginning! He's one of my favorite authors. He's on my list of authors who I read all their novels! I particularly like his Pike character.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #2009
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
PF, I've read all the Crais!!! Except his most recent of course. I've been with him since the beginning! He's one of my favorite authors. He's on my list of authors who I read all their novels! I particularly like his Pike character.
It's so rare that I meet someone who actually reads an author I do. Wonderful. I too have been with Crais since the beginning.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #2010
Executive Chef

PF I've forgot for now but IIRC you've read other authors I enjoy too.