"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #2011
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
PF I've forgot for now but IIRC you've read other authors I enjoy too.
Well...there are the Science Fiction authors from A to Z.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #2012
Chef Extraordinaire

Read Asa Larsson's Until Thy Wrath Be Past on the train. I couldn't put it down. But, I really like her style and stories. If you like Scandinavian Crime Fiction, she's definitely worth reading: http://www.amazon.com/Until-Thy-Wrat.../dp/1402787162 Now I'm reading Jo Nesbo's Headhunters (Nesbo is an excellent Norwegian writer).

Old 01-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #2013
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Well...there are the Science Fiction authors from A to Z.
I read SF incessantly from when I first learned to read in elementary school, and Space Cadet was the first novel I ever read (in the 4th grade?). I continued to read SF through college and a few years after although I eventually burned out. These days I'll read one or two SF novels a year, hoping I'll reach a point where I'll rekindle my enthusiasm for SF, but so far it hasn't happened. However I'll always appreciate the great enjoyment I got from the many SF novels I read during my SF era.

These days I like to read mystery/suspense/thrillers and have been experimenting with reading some fantasy now and then.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #2014
Master Chef

Quote:
I read SF incessantly from when I first learned to read in elementary school, and Space Cadet was the first novel I ever read (in the 4th grade?). I continued to read SF through college and a few years after although I eventually burned out. These days I'll read one or two SF novels a year, hoping I'll reach a point where I'll rekindle my enthusiasm for SF, but so far it hasn't happened. However I'll always appreciate the great enjoyment I got from the many SF novels I read during my SF era.

These days I like to read mystery/suspense/thrillers and have been experimenting with reading some fantasy now and then.
Have you read Peter Robinson's books. He writes mysteries about Inspector Banks? He has written 19 books in the series. The first one is called Gallows View. Here is a site with all of them in order.
Peter Robinson
Old 01-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2015
Executive Chef

No I haven't. I'll consider your recommendation. ... I'm having a bit of a problem getting on the subject of books and authors this morning. I'm distracted by other things on my mind. I'll return to the subject when my concentration returns.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2016
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i just can't read stephen king. i've tried several times. there might be something there but if so its hidden in the tall weeds....
Which ones did you try? I've read all of SK... loved some, hated some.

"11-22-63" is excellent, IMO.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #2017
Sous Chef

Those who like time travel novels will enjoy "Replay" by Ken Grimwood.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #2018
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syberia View Post
Hi, I'm reading the song of ice and fire series by George RR Martin enjoying every bit of it. I'm on the fourth book, a lot slower than the previous ones but very good all the same!
I'm a big fan of fantasy books too and have my eyes set on the name of the wind for when I finish this ones.;)
That fourth George RR Martin book keeps getting shuffled to the bottom of my TBR stack... I keep hearing folks say it's hard to power through it.

I'm currently reading the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles ("The Wise Man's Fear"). Those are excellent books.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #2019
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Those who like time travel novels will enjoy "Replay" by Ken Grimwood.
I read that one about a month ago. Pretty good book, but I didn't like the way it ended.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #2020
Sous Chef

Quote:
The most recent novels I've enjoyed: SF/history genre Blackout and All Clear about time travelers from 2060 who became trapped in 1941 and 1945 WWII era England, and their struggles to get back to ... (ahem) the future.
I've been meaning to read these... I really enjoyed Connie Willis' "Doomsday Book." She also wrote the hilarious "To Say Nothing of the Dog." Anyone who enjoyed Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" will love that one.