"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #2071
Master Chef
In the Amazon vs large chain bookstores vs small, personally owned book stores, I'm stymied. The fact is, I've always read a lot more than I (or my parents when I was young) could possibly afford. My reading is, #1 - from the library; #2 - from used book sales, and very lastly, #3 - new, from a book store. As much as I love the concept of book stores, there is no way I can buy 3+ books a week from an individual bookseller, even if I wait for everything to come out in paperback.

A couple of times, recently, I bought books from Amazon, paying only for the shipping. A book for a penny, literally, $0.01. And both times they were in new condition.

I don't much care how pretty a book is. As long as all the pages are there and it is in one piece. I buy them for reading, not for decor. They usually do not live in my house for very long (although you might not believe that if you saw the 100s of books in this house). I have, over the years, had friends who cannot part with a book. If I did that, I could build this house and probably the others on my block, using the books for bricks. And that's just the books I've owned, not library books.

Gourmet Greg really said it when it comes to not buying fiction. I have a couple shelves of classics I keep thinking I might re-read some day (so many books, so little time, why re-read when there is so much I've never read?). So my purchases tend to be nonfiction. Reference, history, some bio, and let's not forget, a hundred or so cook books and related (food bios, food history, food encyclopedias).

Anyway, if I was rich and had a mansion, yes, I'd buy from an individual bookseller. Dubuque's big box bookseller crashed this past year (not B&N, the other one, mind not functioning).

That said, the art of reading a book is not going away. When I was a kid, I never saw a book store. I didn't live in a big city (well, Wiesbaden, but reading German when I was 11? American library for me!). By the time I was 30, even relatively small town strip malls had one of the chains; Brentanos, etc. You'd never see that in a small town when I was younger. I work my library's annual used book sale, and every year it gets bigger and bigger. We've had to change venues twice since I moved here ten years ago, because we get more book donations .... and more and more buyers. Individuals, very small town/school libraries, seniors, and families. Small-town used book sellers. There are people like me .... I buy a couple of sacks of books ... then re-donate them the next year, after reading most of them. So the library makes out both ways. Reading a book isn't going away any time soon.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #2072
Senior Cook
I just ordered two books from Amazon:

1) 'The Universe is a Green Dragon' by Brian Swimme (Love this scientist's videos)
2) 'Don't Take Your Life Personally' by Ajahn Sumedho

Soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #2073
Executive Chef
so who is it that's reading all those books in this country? how many claires do we have out there? lots and lots, i hope. but most of the people who have populated my world have not been serious readers--unless they were keeping it a secret for some reason...could it be there's a whole subculture of closet readers out there that none of us knows about? who IS buying all those kindles anyway, i wonder.... :)
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #2074
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Actually, DC is the biggest collection of readers I've ever seen or been around. I've known people who were proud of the fact they never read a whole book, I don't tend to spend much time with them, we have almost nothing in common, aside from breathing oxygen.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2075
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
MAUSER Military Rifles of the World, by Robert Ball.
It's available for Kindle, but you'll miss out on all the pictures if you don't have a Fire.
Are you enjoying your Fire? Any glitches?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2076
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's really vague...

Google the genre "Urban Fantasy," Neil Gaiman is a writer of "Urban Fantasy." As Sharon T said, "American Gods" is an excellent choice, as is "Anasazi Boys."
Actually I had been having a bit of trouble pinning it down, except the anthology by that title. The additional titles will be very helpful. Thanks!
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #2077
Executive Chef
I think that most people don't read books of any kind. I believe they'd rather watch TV or movies. Of those who do read books it appears to me that many are switching over to e-books. Myself, I'd rather read a nice hard cover edition.

As I said I don't buy fiction. I get my fiction at the public library. I have a few souvenir fictions (Tolkien's Lord of the Rings) but most of my books are reference, either "how to" books related to my various hobbies, or cookbooks. I figure out which ones I want to buy by checking them out at the library first, read them and use them a while, and then the ones that turn out to be most useful I buy either new or used on Amazon.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #2078
Chef Extraordinaire
Back in the late 70's I given to me as a gift, the complete hard copy set of the Kent Chronicles Series by John Jakes. The first book was The Bastards. This series was written for the Bi-Centennial. I loved these books. And I still have them. About every other year I read them again.
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #2079
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Neil Gaiman is a writer of "Urban Fantasy." As Sharon T said, "American Gods" is an excellent choice, as is "Anasazi Boys."
Okay, thanks! I located them at my public library and reserved them to be sent to my local branch.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #2080
Wine Guy
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
Oh, Yes. "American Gods" is really good too.
What a coincidence. I picked up "American Gods" last week and am now about 3 chapters in.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote