"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #2081
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
What a coincidence. I picked up "American Gods" last week and am now about 3 chapters in.
When you get done with that, pick up a copy of "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett...never laughed so hard in my life!!! It was an accidentla purchase and started my love affair with BOTH authors.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #2082
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Okay, thanks! I located them at my public library and reserved them to be sent to my local branch.
Urban fantasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a comprehensive list of Urban Fantasy authors...check it out. If you have any questions let me know, I've read at least 25% of these authors.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #2083
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
so who is it that's reading all those books in this country? how many claires do we have out there? lots and lots, i hope. but most of the people who have populated my world have not been serious readers--unless they were keeping it a secret for some reason...could it be there's a whole subculture of closet readers out there that none of us knows about? who IS buying all those kindles anyway, i wonder.... :)
Ha! You aren't going to find too many "Claires" out there -- believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade the school system I was in (Reno, NV) took a dozen or so of us kids who got high scores on some test and taught us speed reading. I don't use the skill much, not sure if I even can do it effectively. But I do read pretty fast.

My husband never read just to read before he retired. Now he still doesn't read fiction; he was a history major, and in retirement he chooses an epoch for study. With the advent of the internet (in our house it was ten years ago), he'll tell me what his new era of study is, and I go on Amazon and get a bunch of titles for him. Then he goes on Netflix and finds out if there's a BBC series on that era (you'd be surprised how often there is!) so that whatever era he's reading about, we're watching as well.

Over the years, for a man who doesn't really enjoy reading, when we visit people for the first time, he zeroes in on whether or not there are any books lying around. He's suspect of anyone who doesn't have a full bookshelf within sight.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #2084
Executive Chef

Multi lingual Newspapers & Magazines

Firstly, I am an avid reader, however, of epicurean, travel, enological and entertainment ( the arts ) magazines and newspaper sections focusing on these subjects in several Latin Root Languages.

In English: I read the London Times every Sunday and when possible, the NY or LA Times if I can purchase it; In Spanish, I read Comer y Beber Magazine and El Mundo and / or EL Pais Newspaper; In Italian, Portuguese and French, I read a variety of magazines which focus on my favorite topics as well; L´Art d´Vivre, House & Garden French Edition and Club Gourmet Magazine.

Last year, I had re-read all of Ernest Hemmingway´s works which focused on Spain, Cuba and the Spanish Civil War 1936 - 1939.

Truly enjoyed his works. I hadn´t read his works since Secondary ( high school ).
Old 02-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #2085
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Ha! You aren't going to find too many "Claires" out there -- believe it or not, when I was in 4th grade the school system I was in (Reno, NV) took a dozen or so of us kids who got high scores on some test and taught us speed reading. I don't use the skill much, not sure if I even can do it effectively. But I do read pretty fast.

My husband never read just to read before he retired. Now he still doesn't read fiction; he was a history major, and in retirement he chooses an epoch for study. With the advent of the internet (in our house it was ten years ago), he'll tell me what his new era of study is, and I go on Amazon and get a bunch of titles for him. Then he goes on Netflix and finds out if there's a BBC series on that era (you'd be surprised how often there is!) so that whatever era he's reading about, we're watching as well.

Over the years, for a man who doesn't really enjoy reading, when we visit people for the first time, he zeroes in on whether or not there are any books lying around. He's suspect of anyone who doesn't have a full bookshelf within sight.
I was singled out for speed reading, too...
Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #2086
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've always preferred to save money over instant gratification.
I want both. I debated for about a month whether to use the $200 I was ready to spend to upgrade my phone or get a Kindle Fire. I am so glad I opted for the latter. Oh my word - that instant click thing is dangerous.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #2087
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Urban fantasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a comprehensive list of Urban Fantasy authors...check it out. If you have any questions let me know, I've read at least 25% of these authors.
Thank you! I'll read Gaiman's books and decide if I like the sub-genre, and then check out the article, and ask you if I have any questions.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #2088
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When you get done with that, pick up a copy of "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett...never laughed so hard in my life!!! It was an accidentla purchase and started my love affair with BOTH authors.
I'm surprised so far at how funny a book "American Gods" is. I was expecting a serious book, but it doesn't take itself very seriously at all. I like it.

From what I understand, HBO is filming it as a series, due to be released next year.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #2089
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm surprised so far at how funny a book "American Gods" is. I was expecting a serious book, but it doesn't take itself very seriously at all. I like it.

From what I understand, HBO is filming it as a series, due to be released next year.
The first Terry Pratchett I read after "Good Omens" was "Small Gods." Another very thought provoking and funny book.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:49 AM   #2090
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Been back on a David Sedaris kick, and re-reading naked. Also, Mike Bribiglia, funny stuff! Sleepwalk With Me(now a movie that did well at Sundance)was a great read.