Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "Troublesome Creek" book sounds interesting. I think I added it to my library list - the list that grows longer by the day! :LOL:

I'm all caught up on the Donna Andrews mysteries that I read. This last one was "Owl be Home for Christmas". A little out of season, perhaps, but still a cool read. (Christmas - cool, get it? *groan*)

Also read a stand-alone book called "The Key to Happily Ever After" about three sisters who take over a wedding planning service from their parents. As an only child, I find books with sibling dynamics interesting. I also am grateful that I ended up an "only" at times.

The "Troublesome Creek" book sounds interesting. I think I added it to my library list - the list that grows longer by the day! [emoji38]

I'm all caught up on the Donna Andrews mysteries that I read. This last one was "Owl be Home for Christmas". A little out of season, perhaps, but still a cool read. (Christmas - cool, get it? *groan*)

Also read a stand-alone book called "The Key to Happily Ever After" about three sisters who take over a wedding planning service from their parents. As an only child, I find books with sibling dynamics interesting. I also am grateful that I ended up an "only" at times.
Hi...I just found a new book, about the "blue people" in the Kentucky Ozarks. The title is "The Last Blue" by Isla Morley. I just downloaded it on Overdrive and reading it now.

Bakers, my interest wasn't so much about the Blue people as it was the travelling librarian. These days, some schools are delivering summer reading books by drone! So now I'm on the waiting list.

Currently reading "Recipe for the Perfect Wife". Interesting story lines as the tale follows two different wives from two different generations. One is set in 2018; the current resident wife finds a cookbook in the basement that once belonged to the previous owner. That story follows a wife in the 1940s.

I also got to walk into a real, brick-and-mortar library building yesterday!!! Not my town's, but the one next door. They're generously caring for the Orphans of Pearle. Three large print books? Yes, please! Look out stationary bike, here I come! As soon as my toe boo-boo stops hurting...

IMG_20200808_161534943_HDR.jpg

Hi Cooking Goddess,

I liked the stories about the horseback librarians too...real fine way to get your books. I read a lot and miss browsing in our library, I usually come home with a stack like yours. Ours is supposed to be open the end of this month, but only curbside service...you call and tell them what you want and they bring them out to you.
I'm a cookbook nut, and usually bring home a stack of those too. I'm reading "The Words Between Us" by Erin Bartels and "Rosie's Travelling Tea Shop" by Rebecca Raisin.

Happy Reading!

Happy reading to you, too! Our library doesn't even do pick-up. They might have been getting ready for it, but then one of the two women who are actually going in contracted Covid. :( I think now the town is using that as an excuse to keep it closed even longer...as a money saving issue. *pffttt* The library one town over just opened this past Monday.

CG, I’ve been reading library books on my Kindle app on my phone. My local library kept putting me on waiting lists so I got an electronic library card at the Boston Public Library. The have more variety and more electronic copies to lend.

CG, I’ve been reading library books on my Kindle app on my phone. My local library kept putting me on waiting lists so I got an electronic library card at the Boston Public Library. The have more variety and more electronic copies to lend.
I've been doing that too, Andy. But I don't read from an electronic device while riding the bike in the basement with a plain concrete floor. I have accounts at CW/MARS, Boston Public Library, and CLAMS. But there's something special about a real book. *sigh*

Yay, my name came up on the list to check out (electronically) "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek"! I started reading yesterday - and quickly knocked off 11 chapters. Good reading!

For reasons I can't explain, Jeannie and I are not reading as ardently as we normally do. Maybe burned ourselves out with 6 months of staying home.

I'm reading now, The Darwin Affair by Tim Mason.

Up next, The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

Hoping to get them both read in library time allowed.

"The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" was excellent.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
I agree, Ross, an exceptional book.

I'm glad you like it. I thought it was wonderful, albeit brutal at times.
But life can be brutal at times. :( Anyway, I finished it in four nights of reading.

Three weeks ago I checked out five books (and a DVD). Ended up reading the large print ones mostly not riding the bike since my toe is still touchy. I've since returned "The 20th Victim", and "Eggs on Ice", along with the Donal Skehan cookbook - pretty pictures but I probably wouldn't make any of the dishes. I did hang on to the "Anti-Inflationary Diet" book, but the thought of giving up whole milk products like yogurt saddens me, so I might return that one soon. :LOL: Still reading "Mumbo Gumbo Murder", but now I'm back on my bike!

When those went back, I checked out Alison Roman's "Dining In" again. I had it once; want to look over it again because I'm thinking of getting my own copy. Also checked out a couple of cozy mysteries ("A Fatal Yarn" and "Silent Knit, Deadly Knit", both by Peggy Ehrhart), and "The Pitch That Killed" by Mike Sowell. August 17th was the 100th anniversary of the death of Ray Chapman, the only baseball player ever killed as the result of a thrown pitch. He played for the Cleveland Indians - before my time. ;) Still, it's something that is brought up each year; I figured it was time I read the whole story. Boy, is the print in that book tiny!

I finally caught up on the Chet and Bernie series with Heart of Barkness and Of Mutts and Men. Both excellent as expected. Then I started another series that currently only has 3 books but I'll be anxiously awaiting the next one. "Murder at the Palace" by Margaret Dumas is the first followed Murder in the Balcony and Murder on the Silver Screen. Lots of references to classic movies and wonderful characters that you get invested in quickly. It also includes a ghost that haunts the old movie theater. Wonderful stuff!

I've been reading "Still Life" by Louise Penny. One reason I'm really enjoying it is because it's set in Montreal. I'm learning interesting things about the area and I feel like I'm getting to know some of the culture of where our friends taxlady and dragnlaw live [emoji2] It's the first of a series.

Here's a summary.

"Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surêté du Québec and his team of investigators are called in to the scene of a suspicious death in a rural village south of Montreal. Jane Neal, a local fixture in the tiny hamlet of Three Pines, just north of the U.S. border, has been found dead in the woods. The locals are certain it’s a tragic hunting accident and nothing more, but Gamache smells something foul in these remote woods, and is soon certain that Jane Neal died at the hands of someone much more sinister than a careless bowhunter."

I've been reading my way through the "Wine Country" mysteries by Ellen Crosby. Just finished up the sixth book, "The Sauvignon Secret" last night. Did you know it's pretty easy to read large print books by candlelight?

GG, you might enjoy these for light reading; they're set in VA in Atoka, a tiny village of Middleburg, which isn't all that big itself. She throws in a little history, mostly regarding the War of Northern Aggression, that's pretty interesting.

That looks interesting, thanks.
I've been reading my way through the "Wine Country" mysteries by Ellen Crosby. Just finished up the sixth book, "The Sauvignon Secret" last night. Did you know it's pretty easy to read large print books by candlelight?

GG, you might enjoy these for light reading; they're set in VA in Atoka, a tiny village of Middleburg, which isn't all that big itself. She throws in a little history, mostly regarding the War of Northern Aggression, that's pretty interesting.

Back
Top Bottom