"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #201
Sous Chef

I'm still trying to get through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. It's a good book it's just huge, and I don't get much of a chance to sit down and read anymore.

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #202
Sous Chef

Oh all of Anne Rice's older books are great!
I read them all too. Love Lestat! Her mummy book was fantastic but I can't remember the name of it right now.
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I love that old movie and decided to get the whole picture by reading the book.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #203
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
Right now I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I love that old movie and decided to get the whole picture by reading the book.
One of my all-time favorite books, RMS. I love that excellent old movie too.
Did you know that the character of Dil was base on Truman Capote as a child?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #204
Executive Chef

For the 4th time, I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife Anyone else read it? It's wonderful and I'd highly recommend it.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #205
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Did you know that the character of Dil was base on Truman Capote as a child?
Really, mud? I just saw the movie "Capote" yesterday, and saw how close Truman and Harper Lee were.

I'll have to re-read "Mockingbird" with that new knowledge now. Thanks!

Lee
Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 AM   #206
Master Chef

I've read The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it. Currently I'm reading The 6th Lamentation and just finished The Town That Forgot to Breathe. The latter was really weird. I read a LOT (insomnia gives you hours for it!). I understand Julia Child's nephew has compiled her memoirs, that should be interesting. Oh, in my read-aloud group, we just finished The Reluctant Tuscan, which was good as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM   #207
Sous Chef

Mudbug,
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info! I'm enjoying the book.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #208
Head Chef

I just finished A Million Nightingales by Susan Straight. It was really good if you like historical fiction. I am struggling through the Orientalist by Tom Reiss right now. I have the two latest Elizabeth Berg novels stashed away (The Year of Pleasures and We Are All Welcome Here) to take on my trip next week.
I like to read fiction, self help, historical writing and of course COOKBOOKS!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #209
Senior Cook

I'm currently reading 2 books. One of them is 'Polaris' by Jack McDevitt, and the other is by Mercedes Lackey, book 1 of the Mage Wind Series. I love her Valdemar Series, and Jack McDevitt is a new writer to me and I'm currently buying all his books. Polaris is getting good, and I've already read 'Moonfall' and loved it. He's a good writer, and as was mentioned on the front cover by Stephen King he's the 'logical heir to Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke'. I'm usually reading up to at least 3 books with the 3rd one usually from Anne McCaffrey's 'Pern' Series (I also like her Freedom book series), or David Eddings 'Belgariad/Mallorean', or 'The Redemption of Althalus', his books with the character of Sparhawk isn't shabby either.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #210
Head Chef

GB
I really liked it. I didn't think it was quite as good as Angels and Demons though, but the writing stayed true to his other best selling novles. At first I was leary about getting it because I'm not a numbers and math type person, but the reading was easy enough for me to follow along. There was enough suspense to keep me from wanting to put the book down.

Where Angels and Demons and The DaVinchi code delt with religion and had you thinking on those terms, Digital Fortress delt with the government. All and all I'm glad I got the book.