"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #2101
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?
Check the original publications dates...it's been a while since I read them and can't remember if they are connected. I'm thinking AG is before AB.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #2102
Sous Chef

Quote:
I've acquired copies of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" and "Anasazi Boys" from my local library. Is either of these a sequel to the other? Is there any particular order I should read them in?
"American Gods" came first; "Anansi Boys" is not a sequel... but involves some characters from "American Gods"...

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #2103
Executive Chef

Thanks PF. I checked the pub dates and apparently AG is before AB, still not sure if they are a series or independent novels. I guess I'll know more later after I read a bit. Was just hoping for a quick answer...

Anyway looks like one of them is next up in the reading hopper.

ETA: Oh thanks Sharon (near simultaneous post). I guess I'll crack American Gods then. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #2104
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
"American Gods" came first; "Anansi Boys" is not a sequel... but involves some characters from "American Gods"...
Thanks, Sharon!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #2105
Everymom

I have two on the go right now. One is a reread, Voyager by Diana Gabaldon. The other is for BAR, I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles. Technically, its a reread too, but since it was so long ago that I read it, I am finding it all new and fresh. Still not grabbing me though.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #2106
Executive Chef

PF and Sharon, I'm sorry to say that "American Gods" isn't working for me after reading about 100 pages. PF I guess it's like your recent Crais novel, I'm just not in the right kind of mood for it. Thanks both of you!

In a slight way AG sort of reminds me of the novels of Carlos Castaneda.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #2107
Wine Guy

Just finished "American Gods" (I liked it) and have now moved on to "Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis.

It seems a little dated so far. It was written in 1992 and takes place in 2053. There are many technologies we take for granted today that weren't commonplace in 1992 - cell phones and the internet, for instance. So they aren't even mentioned in the story. I also found it amusing that the author describes a 2 Gb hard drive as if it is an impressive piece of equipment. I'm sitting here with 4 terabytes of storage on my home computer.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #2108
Sous Chef

Finishing Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but its pretty much word for word with the movie.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #2109
Sous Chef

Quote:
PF and Sharon, I'm sorry to say that "American Gods" isn't working for me after reading about 100 pages. PF I guess it's like your recent Crais novel, I'm just not in the right kind of mood for it. Thanks both of you!

In a slight way AG sort of reminds me of the novels of Carlos Castaneda.
Oh - too bad. At least they were library books! Did I hear somewhere (here?) that American Gods is going to be a movie (or HBO series?)... Once or twice I've had trouble with a book, saw its movie, then went back and read it avidly.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #2110
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
The other is for BAR, I'm reading Hound of the Baskervilles... Still not grabbing me though.
BAR?
If it's a case of "have to read it," do what I just wrote to Gourmet Greg -- rent one of the movies - that might get you into it!