Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While unpacking came across an old book, 1928 Edition. The Fourth Musketeer - The Life of Alexandre Dumas, by J. Lucas-Dubreton.

Interesting but sometimes hard to stay with but that just could be because I'm exhausted.

But must say it has spiked my interest to read the originals. I've only seen "Comics Illustrated" (remember those!) Man with the Iron Mask. Plus a lot of movies which take a great deal of 'poet license'. I have never actually read any of these books, or if I have I don't remember.

Dumas wrote about real people as his inspirations and subjects for his stories.
Unfortunately the author bandies names about as if we knew who they all were from "yesterday" (LOL). So I seem to spend a lot of time looking up names with Sir Google.

Years and decades ago, I had started to read the Margaret Truman "Capital Crimes" series. It was so long ago my Mom was still alive. When I told her what I was reading I remember her saying something like "I hope she's a better writer than she is a singer. She's pretty bad as a singer". :LOL: FWIW, she had a bit of an operatic style.

Anyway, books. I started reading the series all over again last fall, just finishing the 32nd book. While just her name appears alone on the first two dozen books, up to the year of her death, I think the only book she may have written alone is the first. Donald Bain "collaborated" on the next 23; after her death he was listed as the author. After he died, Jon Land has taken up the series. Book 32 was his first in the series.

I find the series very interesting. Not so much for the story lines or the characters (although I've grown fond of Mac and Annabelle Smith...), but for the fact that so many things we complain about now involving conniving politicians and dirty dealing in D.C. has been going on since 1980...and long before. Some of the early story lines could be, to borrow from the Law & Order TV shows, "ripped from the headlines" from today's papers. :ermm: :( The more things change...

I also caught up with "The Womens Murder Club" by reading "21st Birthday", the almost-most-recent Donna Andrews book "Gift of the Magpie", and the most recent Knit and Nibble book, "Knitty Gritty Murder". That one might be my last, too, even if author Peggy Ehrhart keeps writing them. I think she bumps up her word count by repeating daily tasks over and over and over throughout the book. I get it! I KNOW how to make pour-over coffee by now! :rolleyes: There were, of course, a few random cookbooks that may have made it home from the library, too, just for fun...

Currently reading "All that she carried : the journey of Ashley's sack, a black family keepsake" by Tiya Miles. I find it helps me to appreciate all that I have and how easy my life has been when I read about how those who have dealt with real struggles come through with love and strength. I'm not sure I would have been as resilient.

I was going to read "Holding the Dream" by Nora Roberts - but my book I ordered for my birthday (recommended by my NP at the clinic I go to) called "Think Like a Pancreas".

I'm reading "Metabolical, the lure and lies of processed food, nutrition, and Modern Medicine" by Robert H. Lustig (this author is very well qualified)

https://www.amazon.com/Metabolical-Processed-Nutrition-Modern-Medicine/dp/0063027712

Some time back I read a book titled, "The Chemical Feast", by James S Turner. Metabolical is an interesting follow up to The Chemical Feast.

20 years after processed foods began to be produced this book explains the mountains & tons of chemical additives used in them and that we would consume and become part of our food supply. In "Metibolical", Lustig explains where we are now 50 years after The Chemical Feast and how it has adversely influenced so many other industries we depend on.

"][URL="https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Feast-Report-Protection-Administration/dp/0140043764"]

RCJoe - both of those books sound interesting. Maybe I'll see about getting them after I finish "Think Like a Pancreas". I'm switching from a premixed insulin to a long-acting and rapid acting with separate injections, and the book I ordered is recommended by NP's, GP's, and endocrinologists to get an understanding of how the pancreas is supposed to work and how to get the most out of your insulin injections.

Just finished 'The Lost Girls of Rome' . Enjoyed it. Multiple facets of murder mystery.

Donato Carrisi studied law and criminology before he began working as a writer for television. His first novel 'The Whisperer', I might take a peek at in the Library.

Neighbour has just loaned me 'The Books of Earthsea' by Ursula K. Le Guin. Don't know this author but we'll try it as my type of fantasy. But almost a thousand pages... might take me awhile. :rolleyes:

CJ, I think you will like the first. His mantra seems to be, "protect your liver & feed your gut". But he opens a whole different way of viewing nutrition as prevention to achieve good health and avoid diseases. As a Doctor he points out
how important it is to avoid diseases with good nutritional practices as once a disease is acquired it may never be fully cured and even reoccur later.

The second book which speaks of chemicals as the enablers of the processed food industry and junk foods fortune is probably the one people will wish they had known about & read earlier in their lives.

If I were to add a third it would be a "Dictionary of Food Additives" which will detail what those chemicals are (many in acronym form....like BHA or BHT common in bread) in the fine print of the packaging label followed with some information about them. Not the most comforting stuff to read about.

Last edited:
RCJoe, I can't wait to read that first one. I've read some reviews on it also that pretty much say the same as what you did. But, I HAVE to get my pancreas book read first - and thoroughly understand it.

Just picked up the book mentioned by GG on another thread. Already started it and looks great!

Crystal King, "Feast of Sorrow"

Thanks GG!

Good Book GG!

Finally got back to the book late this afternoon. Finished it!

Great Story. Highly recommend.

If I were transported back in time - as long as they didn't tell me or describe what I was eating... LOL I know, I'm such a woos .

I wish I could enjoy "All That She Carried" more than I do. Rather than an informative story about Ashley and her family story, it's read more like an academic book. I've made it to page 65, but...

In the meantime, I've read "The Invisible Husband of Frick Island", a fanciful little book that actually has a good message. I really enjoyed it.

I've also started a new cozy mystery series, Lucy Burdette's "Key West Food Critic". Partly because I have wanted to read these books for a while, but mostly because I can get most of them in large print. This lady needs to get on her recumbent bike more! :LOL: I read the first book in two evenings - not all while riding, sadly.

While waiting for the fifth book in the Key West Food Critic series, I borrowed a Libby book. "Little Fires Everywhere " was a novel before becoming a TV series. It's a bit of a strange read, but I am enjoying it. Maybe because it's set in Shaker Heights, OH, and I'm familiar with the area? I don't know, but I'm heading back to read some more.

I've been busy reading "A Gentleman in Moscow" lately. It's a bit of a left turn from my usual cozy mysteries, but I am enjoying it immensely. It's a bit of a time investment, though, clocking in at 1,017 pages on my tablet. I'm about halfway through...

I've been busy reading "A Gentleman in Moscow" lately. It's a bit of a left turn from my usual cozy mysteries, but I am enjoying it immensely. It's a bit of a time investment, though, clocking in at 1,017 pages on my tablet. I'm about halfway through...
My book club read that around a year ago. We thought it was beautifully written. It is long, yes, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I pre-ordered the lastest Diana Gabaldon's book
in her Outlander Series,
Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone
I let Mom read it first, just so long as she promised
not discuss it with anyone, no spoilers please.

So, I have this behemoth sized novel waiting for me
to eek out some free time to sit down and read.

And no, I have not watched Outlander on Starz!
In mind's eye, that is not how I see Claire & Jaime,
I mean the actors that are portraying them that is.

I´m reading "Pasta Grannies" - the story of dozens of Italian matriachs who still make pasta, by hand, on a daily basis, and are mostly over 80 years of age.

Hmm... Pasta Grannies sounds interesting.

Funny thing about books that go on and on and on...
When I used to read more, and upon finishing a Trilogy, I always wanted another book. But when it actually came to 4,5,6 and more - I would lose interest.
Game of Thrones I read waaay before the TV series. But quit almost at the end of Book 2 as I could see the political aspects of it and was getting too convoluted and annoying. There was never any closure. I may have said this before, I read to be entertained not see real life mimicked, even if there is a bit of magic mixed in.

Back
Top Bottom