Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading the Supper Club Mystery series by Ellery Adams, but I've gone as far as I can with e-books. The next (second to last) book is available in large print, so I will put an order next, hoping the book will be at our library for me to pick up when I have to shop next week.

In the meantime, I just charged through an engaging novel, In Five Years. It's an interesting premise that would take too long for me to describe adequately. Fortunately for you, I linked the author's website with a summary; just click on the title above where it's underlined.

The summary makes it seem like the story line is about Dannie's job and boyfriend. A large part of the second half was about Dannie dealing with the failing health and death of her very best friend. I was not prepared for that, seeing as how I just lost my best friend last month. A very good book, but a very emotional read for me. My eyelids are still a little puffy...

After "finishing" the Supper Club mystery series (I'm unable to get my hands on the very last book, co-written a few years after the original books were written by Ellery Adams alone), I'm currently reading two different, but still food-centric, mystery series. In large print format, I'm halfway through the Gourmet Girl mysteries by Jessica Conant-Park, co-written with her Mom Susan Conant. Since the last book, #5, was written in 2010, I'm pretty sure this series is finished.

The second mystery series I'm reading on my tablet is Ellie Alexander's Bakeshop Mystery series. Set in Ashland, OR, her descriptions of the area make me want to take a trip out that way. Alas, I'll just have to "visit" the main character's bake shop in my own kitchen.

Finally, when I browsed the stacks at the library this week, I picked up a large print edition of The American experiment : dialogues on a dream by David Rubenstein. I figured with all of the fun mystery books I've got going, I probably should pick up a book with some redeeming qualities. :)

Back in 1990, a new series came out, written by Randy Wayne White, starring "Doc Ford". It takes place in Florida. Being a Florida "gal", I GOT HOOKED. And here I am, still reading them, 25 books more later.

And shortly thereafter, in 1991, Stuart Woods came out with the "Stone Barrington" series. And I got hooked AGAIN. There are, at this time, a total of 61 books in the series. (that I know of lol)

One of the nice things about getting older is the memory is not all that great, so I have been having a great time RE-READING both series!!!!!!! But, they are not the only books I have been re-reading.

In 1996, Shirley Rousseau Murphy came out with the "Joe Grey" series. The last one (of 22 books) came out in 2018. If you are not familiar with Joe, he is a cat, and he and his girlfriend help solve murders in there home town. And they can talk, but only a few humans know that. I just love the cats and people in these books. I just wish there were more of them.

Last edited:
Sorry, can't edit above. It should read....

he is a cat, and he and his girlfriend help solve murders in THEIR home town. And they can talk, but only a few humans know that.

Back in 1990, a new series came out, written by Randy Wayne White, starring "Doc Ford". It takes place in Florida. Being a Florida "gal", I GOT HOOKED. And here I am, still reading them, 25 books more later.
I tried, I really tried, to like his books. We've been going to that area of FL since 1974, when my inlaws were still alive. Before he died, Dad gave us the contract to his time share week, on Fort Myers Beach. Since Himself stopped working in 2011, we've spent a week almost every November in the unit, exploring the surrounding area. In fact, we pass by Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille each time we take the San Carlos Bridge to get onto/off the beach. So tried to like the book, but I got tired of reading six different explanations/descriptions in the same paragraph time after time. :glare: It's what I've come to refer to "wordy-words", put there by an author to get the word count up for the day. I've given up on another one or two other authors for the same reason.

...In 1996, Shirley Rousseau Murphy came out with the "Joe Grey" series. The last one (of 22 books) came out in 2018. If you are not familiar with Joe, he is a cat, and he and his girlfriend help solve murders in there home town. And they can talk, but only a few humans know that. I just love the cats and people in these books. I just wish there were more of them.
Have you read any of Rita Mae Brown's books that she "co-authors" with her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown? ;) Set in Crozet, VA (a delightful little town - we've driven through there), the main human character is the local postmistress, but the really entertaining characters are her tiger cat (Mrs. Murphy) and Welsh Corgi dog (Tucker). The pets talk to each other, with other animal life around them (I think, it's been years since I've read them), and manage to get their point across to their human to help her solve mysteries.

I had kept up with the series when we still lived in OH, read the next few as they came to market when we first lived here, then somehow managed to get behind and never resumed reading them. Right now I'm in the process of reading the most recent book from a number of authors I like, but I need to make a point to get back to Mrs. Murphy again. Guess I'll start back at book one and just keep on reading until I run out of new ones!

OhKay...I'm guessing the movie was better than the book. I gave up on "Operation Mincemeat" somewhere around page 100.

Right now I'm reading James Patterson's 22nd book in the Women's Murder Club series, 22 Seconds. As always, it's another "just one more chapter" kind of *yawn* book. While I love reading these and other gripping books, I'm glad when I'm done so I don't read until...dawn. :ohmy:

And shortly thereafter, in 1991, Stuart Woods came out with the "Stone Barrington" series. And I got hooked AGAIN. There are, at this time, a total of 61 books in the series. (that I know of lol)

One of the nice things about getting older is the memory is not all that great, so I have been having a great time RE-READING both series!!!!!!! But, they are not the only books I have been re-reading.

In 1996, Shirley Rousseau Murphy came out with the "Joe Grey" series. The last one (of 22 books) came out in 2018. If you are not familiar with Joe, he is a cat, and he and his girlfriend help solve murders in there home town. And they can talk, but only a few humans know that. I just love the cats and people in these books. I just wish there were more of them.

Love the Stone Barrington books. Such fun!

I’m currently rereading the complete Sherlock Holmes. A couple of short stories in between the latest murder mysteries.

Haven't had a chance to get to the library in ages! But have made note of those last books mentioned - sound great.

Andy, what a good idea. I read a lot of Holmes when younger. Have no idea if I ever read them all, but I should find out!

When I got my first eReader, a Nook, I went looking for stuff to download. I came across a site that had free books. I spied the complete Sherlock Holmes in two volumes and grabbed it. It was fascinating to read. That was ten years ago and now I read on my phone with apps for Kindle, Nook and Libby.

Now when I'm waiting for a book from the library, I just read one or the Holmes short stories.

Haven't had a chance to get to the library in ages! But have made note of those last books mentioned - sound great.

Andy, what a good idea. I read a lot of Holmes when younger. Have no idea if I ever read them all, but I should find out!
There are a lot of old books that are out of copyright that you can download for free, then read them with a Kindle or other app like Andy mentioned, on a smartphone or tablet.

Project Gutenberg has been providing free ebooks for decades.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

wow, could be mistaken but a fairly long time ago Gutenberg asked for volunteers to proofread books that they were digitalizing.

I did that for awhile, it was fun, got to read books not normally within my interest range but still very interesting!

wow, could be mistaken but a fairly long time ago Gutenberg asked for volunteers to proofread books that they were digitalizing.

I did that for awhile, it was fun, got to read books not normally within my interest range but still very interesting!
No, you're right - they're still doing that.

"The Paper Wife" Pretty light reading. Historical fiction.

Should any of you enjoy Historical fiction, look up Amanda Skenendore's books on Amazon (Earth and Sky, The Undertaker's Assistant, The Second Life of Mirrielle West). Not only is she an amazing writer, she's a good friend of mine too.

And, if this is allowed on this site, I've written six novels of my own. PM me for links if you like contemporary paranormal. Free on Kindle Unlimited.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom