Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As usual, I'm juggling a couple of books right now. In book format and small print is "Pride Against Prejudice: the biography of Larry Doby. Didn't even think about it being the 75th anniversary of his becoming the first black MLB player in the American League on July 5th when I ordered it from the library. I also picked up a cookbook, mostly for the pretty pictures. It's "Rustic Italian Food" by Marc Ventri. Saw him somewhere on TV, liked what he was cooking up, and decided to check out one of his books.

On my tablet are two. The first one is supposed to be a sorta "beach read", but it's been a little more than that. "That Summer" is by Jennifer Weiner, but it's going to be put aside for a few days. While I still have 17 days loan on it, I was just notified that the cozy mystery "Wining and Dying" was available. With only a 14 loan, and the fact that I know it will be more fun the the first, I'm starting it as soon as I log out of DC.

The dictionary of lost words. By Pop Williams.
Turn of previous century, publishing of Oxford Dictionary, Suffrage.
It’s a novel, I like it.

When I opened up Overdrive a week or so ago I saw that they have something called "The Big Library Read" going on. There are a number of e-books being made available during the program at unlimited numbers. The idea is to offer the same book at the same time to Overdrive users everywhere to encourage dialogue about it around the world. The selection at the time was "The Girl in His Shadow", a historical novel, by Audrey Blake. I don't usually read this genre, but the premise sounded intriguing. Set in England during the cholera epidemic of the 1840's, the story follows a young girl who was orphaned at age 6(?) and is now a young adult, assisting the town doctor with his patients. Women in medicine were not allowed at that time, and it is interesting to read the evolution of thinking about their place in the medical field.

Got Garlic, you would probably love this book!

When I opened up Overdrive a week or so ago I saw that they have something called "The Big Library Read" going on. There are a number of e-books being made available during the program at unlimited numbers. The idea is to offer the same book at the same time to Overdrive users everywhere to encourage dialogue about it around the world. The selection at the time was "The Girl in His Shadow", a historical novel, by Audrey Blake. I don't usually read this genre, but the premise sounded intriguing. Set in England during the cholera epidemic of the 1840's, the story follows a young girl who was orphaned at age 6(?) and is now a young adult, assisting the town doctor with his patients. Women in medicine were not allowed at that time, and it is interesting to read the evolution of thinking about their place in the medical field.

Got Garlic, you would probably love this book!
You're right - it sounds fascinating and I love historical fiction, especially when it includes medicine and food. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been reading a series called Promises to Keep by Shayne Parkinson about a farm family in late 19th century New Zealand. This is an area of the world that I have not read much about. Reading detailed descriptions of how the women prepared five meals per day (breakfast, morning tea, a hot cooked lunch, afternoon tea and dinner) and carried water from a creek to heat up for wash day while most were having children every other year has been quite the reminder of how good most of us in this forum have it these days. Here's more information about her and her books if anyone is interested.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/p/shayne-parkinson/

I'm reading The Facemaker: A Visionary Surgeon's Battle To Mend Disfigured Soldiers Of World War I by Lindsey Fitzharris. I love the premise and the background, but the writing sometimes bogs down in some areas and glosses too quickly over other parts. Still, I am glad to be reading it. I never realized that disfigured soldiers kick-started the field of modern plastic surgery It makes sense. The doctor felt strongly that someone who lost a limb was still viewed as the same person, but those with facial disfigurements lost their identity. Something still seen today.

Just finished A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine.

Now starting The Art of Prophecy.

I get their emails, but lately have just been deleting them. Usually check out what they say but that's as far as it goes. Didn't even know there was a 'Friends' button.
When my brain does go into reading mode overdrive, I too, could do a dozen books or so a week. But I'm in stall right now, how no idea how long it will last. LOL probably til summer.

I've become addicted to books by Fredrik Bachman and am currently into The Winners.

We are the Bear Town Bears! That's what I have been chanting since enjoying the Bear Town and Hed rivalry.

Ice hockey has been part of my life for a long while...not playing it but living in northern Minnesota and having a male cousin who went semi-pro. Attended so many icy practices and games.

I've been busy keeping up with the most recent book in all of the series I read. Most of them are cozies. James Patterson's "Women's Murder Club" are definitely  not cozies! Half way through "The 23rd Midnight".

Yup, @Kathleen, I've enjoyed all of the "Women's Murder Club" books. There was a one-season, 13 episode series on network TV in 2007-08. Angie Harmon and Paula Newsome played two of the main characters. We really enjoyed that show.

Bump! 😁

I've been reading the Outlander series for the past several months. I'm on book 5. I just discovered a new series that I also want to read (not that I don't already have hundreds on my TBR list) - "Circle of Ceridwyn" by Octavia Randolph. I'm planning to alternate reading from the two series.

Here's the prologue:
I was born in 856, a time when the Island of Britain was divided into many Kingdoms. As I was later taught, the very first people of Britain were the Old People, the small, dark-haired folk who survive in the wilds of Gwynedd and the lands North of Northumbria. Later came the raving, red-haired Lovers of Stones, who drove the Old People into the fastnesses they still occupy. Then came the many swift ships of Cæsar, and in the year 43 his warriors conquered much of Britain. The people of the Cæsars were great builders, and most learned, and for 400 years the folk of Britain prospered. Then my own people, the fair-haired and light-eyed Angles and Saxons, came from their marshy lands across the North Sea. My folk were fierce and war-like, and burnt the cities of the Cæsars. We lived instead off the rich Earth of Britain, for the forests ran with deer and pig, and the soil yielded up every good thing to our ploughs. We ruled almost all of Britain, and the greatest of our warriors became our Kings. But peace was rare, for these Kings fought always with each other. Then, within our grandsire’s memory, a new people began to visit our shores. They were seamen unlike any we had ever seen, and raiders so skilled they took whatever they wanted and fled before our warriors could catch them. These were the Danes.
@taxlady, thought this might interest you.

What is everyone else reading?

Back
Top Bottom