"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2141
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Claire, don't let the comment about poetry keep you from enjoying Auel's books. It's just a "prayer" to the Mother of All, repeated at least once during the last book, and can be skipped easily.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #2142
Executive Chef

Just skim that Mother of All stuff. It's repeated throughout the book. Read the first and last few verses. The final verses will become more important in the final chapters of the book, so read the final 2-3 verses at least once to get the idea.

I just wanted to say one more thing about Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, a warning: It's not for the squeamish. It's darkly funny but it's pretty squeamy too. The novelty wore off in the sequels but the squeamish continued on, which is why I'm not recommending the sequels.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #2143
Sous Chef

Just to say... I HIGHLY recommend the Hunger Games trilogy. My whole family (all ages) enjoyed them and can't wait for the movie.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #2144
Executive Chef

Does each novel in the Hunger Games trilogy have a definite conclusion? In other words, would the debut novel work as a stand alone read without feeling like it's necessary to continue on to 2 and 3 to find out the real ending?

I've been annoyed with a few series that have virtually no end other than to read the next in the series to find out what happens next. That's not so bad if the series is good and all the sequels have been published, so that you can read right through if you want to. I'm particularly annoyed with one good series I've just completed four of the novels but the final volume won't be published for a year or two.

In the case of Hunger Games I just want to be sure that the debut novel stands on its own in case I don't like it so much that I want to read the two sequels.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #2145
Senior Cook

^^^It can stand on its own. I've been reading The Obamas.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #2146
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkette View Post
A Clash of Kings (2nd book of the Game of Thrones series)

I may just have to reread the available books... good stuff.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #2147
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Does each novel in the Hunger Games trilogy have a definite conclusion? In other words, would the debut novel work as a stand alone read without feeling like it's necessary to continue on to 2 and 3 to find out the real ending? Yes and Yes

I've been annoyed with a few series that have virtually no end other than to read the next in the series to find out what happens next. That's not so bad if the series is good and all the sequels have been published, so that you can read right through if you want to. I'm particularly annoyed with one good series I've just completed four of the novels but the final volume won't be published for a year or two. What series? It can be extremely infuriating. I once read a mystery by Tami Hoag which ended on a cliff hanger that was picked up in the next book. I've boycotted her ever since.

In the case of Hunger Games I just want to be sure that the debut novel stands on its own in case I don't like it so much that I want to read the two sequels.
It does stand alone, as does the second one. The first one is the best, IMO.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #2148
Executive Chef

Oh, okay Sharon. I'll take that as wanting to know which series I've found had annoying cliff hangers.

The series I had in mind was the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones: A Cavern of Black Ice, A Fortress of Grey Ice, A Sword from Red Ice, and Watcher of the Dead. The author stated on her website in 2008 (just after book 3 was published) that there will be five books in the series. Extrapolation tells me the finale may be published about 2013-2014. (Watcher was published in 2010. I just completed reading it last week.)

I've enjoyed this series more than many I've read, but every single volume had an indeterminate ending, not exactly cliff hangers but there were many plot lines that did not get resolved and were continued into the next volume. I just hope that Jones delivers on her commitment and I hope she doesn't decide to extend the series to 6 books!

Now a different sort of fantasy--I'd call Jones' books sword & sorcery--that I would recommend more is Kim Harrison's Hollows series: witch, demon, vampires & werewolves sub-genre. (Probably fits urban fantasy sub-genre too.) Each volume would be enjoyable as a stand alone novel, and each had a satisfying plot resolution. Anybody interested in reading this series should start with the debut novel and read in publishing date order to get maximum appreciation and enjoyment of the series concept.

It's also amusing that the author has chosen to poke fun at Hollywood and at spaghetti Western films:

Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad & The Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
A Perfect Blood
(coming 2/21/2012)

I recommend Harrison's Hollows series for anybody who enjoys this fantasy sub-genre. I like that each volume has a satisfying ending and I plan on reading her Hollows novels for as long as she keeps writing them.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #2149
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Just skim that Mother of All stuff. It's repeated throughout the book. Read the first and last few verses. The final verses will become more important in the final chapters of the book, so read the final 2-3 verses at least once to get the idea.

I just wanted to say one more thing about Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, a warning: It's not for the squeamish. It's darkly funny but it's pretty squeamy too. The novelty wore off in the sequels but the squeamish continued on, which is why I'm not recommending the sequels.
I can read squeam...can't watch it, unless it's Vampires and Werewolves. Reality Squeam TV...don't want it.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #2150
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oh, okay Sharon. I'll take that as wanting to know which series I've found had annoying cliff hangers.

The series I had in mind was the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones: A Cavern of Black Ice, A Fortress of Grey Ice, A Sword from Red Ice, and Watcher of the Dead. The author stated on her website in 2008 (just after book 3 was published) that there will be five books in the series. Extrapolation tells me the finale may be published about 2013-2014. (Watcher was published in 2010. I just completed reading it last week.)

I've enjoyed this series more than many I've read, but every single volume had an indeterminate ending, not exactly cliff hangers but there were many plot lines that did not get resolved and were continued into the next volume. I just hope that Jones delivers on her commitment and I hope she doesn't decide to extend the series to 6 books!

Now a different sort of fantasy--I'd call Jones' books sword & sorcery--that I would recommend more is Kim Harrison's Hollows series: witch, demon, vampires & werewolves sub-genre. (Probably fits urban fantasy sub-genre too.) Each volume would be enjoyable as a stand alone novel, and each had a satisfying plot resolution. Anybody interested in reading this series should start with the debut novel and read in publishing date order to get maximum appreciation and enjoyment of the series concept.

It's also amusing that the author has chosen to poke fun at Hollywood and at spaghetti Western films:

Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad & The Undead
Every Which Way But Dead
A Fistful of Charms
For a Few Demons More
The Outlaw Demon Wails
White Witch, Black Curse
Black Magic Sanction
Pale Demon
A Perfect Blood
(coming 2/21/2012)

I recommend Harrison's Hollows series for anybody who enjoys this fantasy sub-genre. I like that each volume has a satisfying ending and I plan on reading her Hollows novels for as long as she keeps writing them.

She's really poking fun at Clint Eastwood...I'm going to have to start picking these up...I hope they are at the used book store...I have plenty of credit there.