"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #2151
Executive Chef

Ah good PF. Well I'm glad I cautioned you on Darkly Dreaming Dexter. A bit of squeam there, yes.

And I encourage you to read Dead Witch Walking. Start there and if you enjoy the series debut I can assure you that you'll like all the sequels. I'll reveal that there is some degree of sexual innuendo about witch Rachel and her vampire roommate Ivy. It's more of a blood vs. sex issue, and didn't annoy me as much as the stuff in Auel's books. I just wanted to make that clear in case you find that objectionable. It's not a big plot thing but it's a plot undercurrent. The Wikipedia Hollows link I posted earlier says this about Ivy: "She is bisexual and harbors a deep longing and affection for Rachel." So there you go. It didn't bother me and I didn't have to skim it. The Internet abbreviation is appropriate: YMMV.

Yeah, maybe Eastwood. I presume he starred in all those movies? I wonder if she knows him...

I'm so excited that I'll be reading the new Hollows novel in only a very few weeks!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #2152
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sex in books doesn't bother me...I've always assumed that the characters were off having a good time at some point, even if it's not mentioned in the book. I'm a nurse, I've delivered one baby and assisted at several other births...I do understand how they got here.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #2153
Executive Chef

Kim Harrison has good judgement in this respect. It's not gratuitous but rather supports the concept of living with a werewolf and blood attraction, and complications of living with were.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #2154
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sex in books doesn't bother me...I've always assumed that the characters were off having a good time at some point, even if it's not mentioned in the book. I'm a nurse, I've delivered one baby and assisted at several other births...I do understand how they got here.
I lived in Aransas Pass in Texas. The town had a 12 bed hospital. I was there with my fifth baby and a bad case of bursitis in my shoulder. I couldn't hold him because of my arm so I had to stay there for over a week until it subsided. The Mexican girls would come in, in labor and just about to deliver. They would bring the baby's clothing, and blankets. They would have the baby, rest for 30 minutes and then get up and go home with the baby. The next day they were back to work.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2155
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Oh, okay Sharon. I'll take that as wanting to know which series I've found had annoying cliff hangers.
Yes - thanks - and for the list of the Hollows series. To be read in that order? Just as PF said, it's great to have a new list to take to the paperback trader!

Did you read the S. King Dark Tower series? One disgruntled fan once sent him a photo of a cute little teddy bear - with a gun to its head. The caption read, in kidnapper style with letters cut from newspaper, "Publish the next Dark Tower book NOW - or the bear gets it."
Old 02-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #2156
Sous Chef

Ah - never mind question. Looked at your post more carefully and went to the wiki page.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #2157
Executive Chef

Yes, as I'm sure you already discovered. My list is in order of publishing date (unless I made a mistake) and they should be read in order of publishing date. Read the series debut novel and then continue with the series if you enjoyed it.

No on the S. King. I read a few of his many years ago and for whatever reason I'm not a big fan. I enjoyed your description of the fan mail!
Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #2158
Master Chef

Hunger Games? I just got an email from a friend (school teacher) who said she's reading it because it is hot with her kids. Guess that's another one I need to request from my library.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #2159
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I picked up Dead Witch Walking, today. Couldn't find a new movie, so I got the book.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #2160
Executive Chef

I'm thrilled that you took my suggestion. I'm nervous you won't like it. I'll be waiting with baited breath* to hear your reaction once you've got into the book.

*baited breath: I've sometimes been trout fishing using cheese as bait, and when things are slow I've nibbled the cheese, thus resulting in baited breath.