"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #2161
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm thrilled that you took my suggestion. I'm nervous you won't like it. I'll be waiting with baited breath* to hear your reaction once you've got into the book.

*baited breath: I've sometimes been trout fishing using cheese as bait, and when things are slow I've nibbled the cheese, thus resulting in baited breath.
I was thinking you had been munching on worms...

I'll let you know, looks like something I will definitely enjoy! I've always liked vampires, zombies, werewolves...I like reading zombie books when I am in the hospital...

Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #2162
Executive Chef

Just completed "Call After Midnight" by Tess Gerritsen, and why oh why didn't I quit this one at page 50 or 100? The woman's newlywed (6 months) husband dies or disappears in Germany, and this State Department guy helps her what happened, and there's romance, and CIA, and romance, and FBI, and romance, and spies, and romance, and violence... and even one scene that went way deeper into sex than I want to read in books. (I went into my ultra-skim mode at that point.) I don't know what's wrong with me, I didn't see any mention of romance on the jacket book summary and IIRC I've read Gerritsen before, but you can be sure that's a mistake I won't be repeating in the future. Thumbs down.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #2163
Head Chef

Got a couple going -- A Cold Touch of Ice, a Mamur Zapt Mystery, by Michael Pearce. Easy reading of politics in turn of the century (19th-20th) Cairo. From the jacket: "Witty, intelligent, and charming..." I agree.

And Asa Larsson's The Blood Spilt. Only 30 pages in; so far, so good.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #2164
Executive Chef

I just finished To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis, and sorry to say I didn't enjoy it as much as her Blackout and All Clear. It seems reasonable that the latter were written a dozen years later and the author's writing probably improved. The setting of Blackout and All Clear (mostly WWII London) was far more dramatic than the 1888 London of To Say Nothing.... with a boat ride along a river plus a stay at a country manor. I'll be interested in following possible future books but I think I'll decline reading any more of her earlier works.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #2165
Executive Chef

Portuguese Historical Novel: Isaura Escrava

The leading lady of Isaura Escrava, the historical novel, which had become a Brazilian based soap opera in Portuguese in 2004; is called Isabel Esclava or Isabel the Slave ...

It takes place during the mid 1800s when Brazilian Slavery was the way of life; however, Isaura is white. However, why is she condemned to being a slave ? Very profoundly written historical account.

I am uncertain if the story or CD was copied into English. However, it is available in Spanish as well as Portuguese.

Read 11 chapters in one evening ... cannot put it down ...

www.amazon.com

Margi.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #2166
Senior Cook

I just read "Hunger Games" in 2 days. I just could not put it down. I thought it was an outstanding story and well written. I am looking forward to the next book.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #2167
Sous Chef

My turn came round at last at the library and I read "Death Comes to Pemberley." I enjoyed it and don't understand the ruinously bad reviews of this book. The plot wasn't thrilling, but P.D. James' plots are always subtle. I thought it was a very clever weaving of "Pride and Prejudice" with her imagining of later events involving the P & P characters.
If you like P.D. James and Jane Austen, you'll probably like this book.
At least there weren't any zombies in it... (not that I mind a good zombie story - I just don't get the weaving of the classic literature with modern horror that's happening now).
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #2168
Sous Chef

For "Hunger Games" fans - you might like "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. The second book in the planned trilogy, "Insurgent," comes out May 1.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #2169
Wine Guy

Just started "Hard Magic: Book #1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles" by Larry Correia. Awesome book so far. Kind of a cross between a 1930's detective novel and X-men.

One other note. It's in audio book format, and the narrator is Bronson Pinchot, whom you might remember for playing goofy immigrant Balki Bartokomous in the 80's sitcom "Perfect Strangers". Turns out he's a terrific narrator and does a nice job of breathing life into the various characters.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #2170
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just started "Hard Magic: Book #1 of the Grimnoir Chronicles" by Larry Correia. Awesome book so far. Kind of a cross between a 1930's detective novel and X-men.

One other note. It's in audio book format, and the narrator is Bronson Pinchot, whom you might remember for playing goofy immigrant Balki Bartokomous in the 80's sitcom "Perfect Strangers". Turns out he's a terrific narrator and does a nice job of breathing life into the various characters.
That sounds like fun. Added to my Audible wishlist so I won't forget. I'm listening to The Stand right now and don't anticipate needing another audio book for a WHILE.