"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #2181
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Back to re-reading some Bill Bryson. Just finished(Again) A Walk In The Woods, and wrapping up Sun Burnt Country.
Bill Bryson can wrestle a laugh out of just about anything. I liked his Notes From a Small Island. Do I recall correctly that he once gave a description of giant worms on display in Australia? Someone did that had me almost literally rolling on the floor, and I think he was the culprit. Have made note of Sun Burnt - wait; was that Australia? Thanks for the happy recalls.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #2182
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Bill Bryson can wrestle a laugh out of just about anything. I liked his Notes From a Small Island. Do I recall correctly that he once gave a description of giant worms on display in Australia? Someone did that had me almost literally rolling on the floor, and I think he was the culprit. Have made note of Sun Burnt - wait; was that Australia? Thanks for the happy recalls.

yeah, it was in A Sunburned Country, perhaps one of my favorites from him, by far.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #2183
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm reading John Grisham's The Client after catching the last half of the movie and loving the story. It won't last long at the rate I'm reading it. I really am enjoying the Reggie Love character.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #2184
Executive Chef

I've read plenty of Grisham's novels, particularly his earlier ones. If you enjoy The Client be sure to read A Time to Kill, The Firm and The Pelican Brief, the three that preceded the one you're reading.

I enjoyed his earlier works more than his later works and haven't read many of the ones he's written in the last several years. I see he's scheduled to release three new novels this year, very prolific!
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #2185
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've already read the three you mentioned, Greg. I'm a voracious reader. I hadn't even heard about The Client, and was kind of tired of Grisham anyway, but this story really grabbed my attention.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #2186
Executive Chef

Z, or anybody else, have you ever started reading a book and then realized you read the same book years before? For that reason about 20 years ago I started keeping a log of each book I read (title and author), date finished and a one word rating (fair, good, excellent, etc.). I've found my list useful when recommending books to friends because I can tell them which of an author's novels I liked best. It's also helpful since I can access it from the library online to ensure I'm not checking out a book I've already read.

I've read over 3,000 books in the last two decades, about 60 a year. I guess my reading is a bit voracious too.

Ironically I'm currently reading L'Amour's Haunted Mesa for the second time, but on purpose!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #2187
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Although the library only lists one other of her books, I'm looking forward to Stef Penney again. Just finished The Tenderness of Wolves, set in 1867 on the northern shore of Georgian Bay. Lots of characters, lots of plots, lots of cruel weather. A reviewer at my library called it "a rattling good yarn." Hudson Bay Company, fur trappers, Norwegian settlers, perhaps the first written Indian language; had less talk of wolves than I expected, but they were central to a story line -- a couple of young girls out to gather berries disappeared completely; wolves were blamed.
tinlizzie,

See if your library has a copy of The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin. It is the true story of the 1888 blizzard that was the basis of the Laura Ingalls Wilder book The Long Winter. It is a very interesting little piece of history.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #2188
Executive Chef

thank you, aunt bea. the children's blizzard is also available in ebook form from amazon or b&n for only $2.99....
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #2189
Senior Cook

I found a little book in our local secondhand bookstore, just started reading it - looks good so far.
'The Island', by Victoria Hislop....a historical fiction about an island named Spinalonga, off Crete. I love travel and history fiction.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #2190
Head Chef

Yes, thank you Aunt Bea, and Soma, too. I have requested both titles from my library. Oh boy! Two new books & authors!