"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #211
Head Chef

I tend to have several going.

I just finished Marley and Me. I *loved* it. I also finished Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson. Good fun, but I didn't like the abrupt ending.

I'm currently reading Too Many Crooks Spoil The Broth by Tamar Myers, Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo, Ghost Rider by Neil Peart and Triple Zero: Star Wars Republic Commando by Karen Traviss. I have a severe weakness for Star Wars. Anything Star Wars.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #212
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz
I tend to have several going.

I just finished Marley and Me. I *loved* it. I also finished Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson. Good fun, but I didn't like the abrupt ending.

I'm currently reading Too Many Crooks Spoil The Broth by Tamar Myers, Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo, Ghost Rider by Neil Peart and Triple Zero: Star Wars Republic Commando by Karen Traviss. I have a severe weakness for Star Wars. Anything Star Wars.
I cried myself silly at the end of Marley and Me. Its a **must read** for any dog lover.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #213
Senior Cook

just got done reading the series by Earlene Fowler - Benni Harper mysteries. Very good light reading.... Also the elm creek quilters series by Jennifer Chiaverini.

Just started reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child w/ Alex Prud'homme.
also started "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith
Also have, but haven't started, the new Frances Mayes - "A Year in the World".

corazon90 - I put "The Time Traveler's Wife" on hold at the library. Thanks for recommending it.
Foodfiend - I've also read the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, enjoyed them.
lmw80 - Narnia - always good, have probably read them at least 20 times during and since teenage years.
Also The Hobbit - why didn't they turn that one into a movie?

I'll have to make a list of the other recommendations....I like hearing about good authors.

-k
Old 04-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #214
Executive Chef

You will love it KathyJ! I feel a little jealous that you get to read it for the first time. Let me know how you like it!
Old 05-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #215
Sous Chef

I just this minute finished reading "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry.

OMG!! This book is Awesome!! If your into Dan Brown (or if you chose not to read the Da Vinci Code) then you must read this book. It's every bit as good and will absolutly keep you rivited to your seat from page 1.

I started this book yesterday and finished it tonight LOL! I litterally could not put it down. I carried it around the house as I walked from room to room. I don't think I even did that with Dan Browns' Angels and Demons

~ Raven ~ <-- now where's the Eagle? (read the book you'll understand)

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #216
Chief Eating Officer

Raven, what is it about?
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #217
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I just this minute finished reading "The Romanov Prophecy" by Steve Berry.

OMG!! This book is Awesome!! If your into Dan Brown (or if you chose not to read the Da Vinci Code) then you must read this book. It's every bit as good and will absolutly keep you rivited to your seat from page 1.

I started this book yesterday and finished it tonight LOL! I litterally could not put it down. I carried it around the house as I walked from room to room. I don't think I even did that with Dan Browns' Angels and Demons

~ Raven ~ <-- now where's the Eagle? (read the book you'll understand)
Romanov Prophecy? Is that something to do with the doomed last tsar Nikolai and his family and/or some prediction made by Rasputin? An intriguing title, I am interested!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #218
Sous Chef

Yes! Exactly!

Russia is going to appoint a new Tsarist government and the lead character is an American lawyer assigned to check out the leading cantidate to ensure there are no skeletons rattling around his famliy closet that might discredit or disqualify him.

While digging through the archives he runs across clues that suggest that Alexi and Anastasia Romanov might have survived the massacre of their family and are possibly being hidden somewhere.

From there, the story takes off like a rocket and dosen't let up till the end. :D

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #219
Chief Eating Officer

Sounds facinating!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #220
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yeah, that sounds really interesting, gotta go look for it... I was always interested in Russian history. I know there have been always a mystery about what happened to Anastasia, no one seems to know what exactly happened to her. Though it is doubtful she is still alive even if she managed to escape, I am curious how this bit is treated in this story... thanks for the info, I have been missing reading a good gripping book!! (which was my main passion before I got hooked on the puter!!)