"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #2191
Master Chef

Love Bryson ... a soft spot in my heart since whenever I read something of his I think of being on a bus in Slovenia, meeting an Aussie (he, my husband, and I were the only English speakers for miles around) and him telling me I obviously love the English language (I'd never thought of myself that way) and recommending one of his books for me. I rarely re-read, but that one I do once in awhile.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #2192
Master Chef

Right now I'm reading river of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh. It's the sequel to Sea of Poppies which I read a few weeks ago. It's easier going than the latter was. I don't know if I'm getting used to the pidgin or what! But obviously I must have gotten caught up in the characters enough to pick up the sequel.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #2193
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am 2/3's of the way through Hunger Games. I am enjoying the story, it does keep moving. We picked up the second two at Costco last weekend.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #2194
Executive Chef

hunger games is a compelling story based on an utterly abhorrent premise. suzanne collins deftly shepherds us through repeated scenes of human exploitation and carnage, still *hungering* for that romantic and happy storybook ending. suzanne collins is truly a modern day literary wizard.

additionally, suzanne wizard is giving the green light to the upcoming movie of her book, praising both the director and actors for bringing an honest and faithful portrayal of her story to the screen. she reserves a special commendation for the female lead actor of the hunger games, and credits the film for bringing an extra visual layer of reality to her story.

i don't know about you, but this is the first time i'm hearing an author warmly embracing the handling of her work by the movie-makers. sweet.... :)
Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #2195
Executive Chef

I'm reading "St. Peter's" by James Lees-Milne.

It's a comprehensive history of Vatican City which is entertaining, fascinating and dizzying all at the same. He presents the facts and stories at a furious pace and I find myself re-reading sentences but thus far it's a very cool read.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #2196
Executive Chef

People, Places & Glorious Food

The Saturday daily newspapers, in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and French ... The English language USA Magazine: Saveur March Edition ...

Margi.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #2197
Master Chef

I am reading How to Cook a Wolf by MFK Fisher.

Her take on how to deal with shortages and rationing during WWII.

Dated but, interesting
Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #2198
Executive Chef

I've heard of "eating crow" but I've also heard that the meat of meat eaters can be rather distasteful. I recall that's what Jane Auel said in her Clan of the Cave Bear ("Earth's Children" ???) series.

I can't think of any predator that we humans favor eating, at least not in the mammal category.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #2199
Executive Chef

This was a reply in a different topic but I've re-posted this in the current topic because I didn't want any book worms to miss the subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
OMG I'm glad there are other John D. MacDonald fans of his Travis McGee mystery/action series! There are 21 novels in the series, each named after a color: The Deep Blue Goodbye, Nightmare in Pink, A Purple Place for Dying, ... -- the first three in the series, the whole series published between 1964 and 1985. I've realized there are probably more MacDonald novels not in the McGee series that I haven't read--and looking forward to researching which they are and reading them. (MacDonald died in '86 not long after his last McGee novel was published.)
I highly recommend John D. MacDonald's series about Travis McGee, a sort of self employed private detective who always seemed to be more about setting things right than making any money, but somehow his exploits always seemed to be cash productive--and his policy was to split the proceeds between whoever he was helping and himself--enough to keep his personally financed PI career going without paying clients. Think about it as fleecing bad guys and helping their victims.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #2200
Executive Chef

speaking of john d. macdonald...i stumbled across ROSS macdonald's books when i picked one up by mistake in a stack of travis mcgee novels i as buying at a used book store one day. i never bought another ross macdonald book by mistake again. his lew archer detective (read hard-boiled) stories are great reading fun. there are about twenty of them, and they are all offered as ebooks. i see that there are very few john d. macdonald books on kindle, however--SO unfair!!! c'mon now, amazon....