"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2012, 06:37 AM   #2201
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I am reading How to Cook a Wolf by MFK Fisher.

Her take on how to deal with shortages and rationing during WWII.

Dated but, interesting
I read this years ago and it was interesting. MFK, by the way, is Mary Frances Kennedy if I remember right.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #2202
Senior Cook

I'm reading National Geographic Travel Magazine April edition, all about Cuba and some fine food from there too:)

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #2203
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
I'm reading National Geographic Travel Magazine April edition, all about Cuba and some fine food from there too:)
Did you say fine food from Cuba? I think there must be some mistake. Cuban food is about as bland as it comes.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2204
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Did you say fine food from Cuba? I think there must be some mistake. Cuban food is about as bland as it comes.
Are you serious?? I've not been there so can't say for sure but given that Cuban cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African and Caribbean I thought it sounded very exotic?? Maybe they just dress it up well
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #2205
Senior Cook

If you liked The Help read The Kitchen House and Mudbound
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #2206
Everymom

Quote:
Are you serious?? I've not been there so can't say for sure but given that Cuban cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African and Caribbean I thought it sounded very exotic?? Maybe they just dress it up well
They must! Its common knowledge that if you are traveling to Cuba you need to bring any spice you might want. They have salt and pepper but that's about it. They have to import about 50% of their food from elsewhere too. Our experience is that the food is plain, but edible.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #2207
Senior Cook

Quote:
They must! Its common knowledge that if you are traveling to Cuba you need to bring any spice you might want. They have salt and pepper but that's about it. They have to import about 50% of their food from elsewhere too. Our experience is that the food is plain, but edible.
It's not common to me but then you could say that makes me common No, seriously I'm really surprised! I honestly thought of creole cooking and tropical dishes etc etc. I guess being a small island they can't grow so much stuff there. Oh well, I'm glad you told me and it just goes to show how they can dress up these places in magazines!!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #2208
Everymom

Quote:
It's not common to me but then you could say that makes me common No, seriously I'm really surprised! I honestly thought of creole cooking and tropical dishes etc etc. I guess being a small island they can't grow so much stuff there. Oh well, I'm glad you told me and it just goes to show how they can dress up these places in magazines!!
Sorry jonnyjonny, I was not clear. I meant it is common knowledge amongst Canadian tourists traveling to Cuba. Check some of the Tripadvisor sites about the Cuban resorts. Cuba is stunningly beautiful, and probably one of the safest places we have traveled to, but the food is NOT the draw.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #2209
Senior Cook

Quote:
Sorry jonnyjonny, I was not clear. I meant it is common knowledge amongst Canadian tourists traveling to Cuba. Check some of the Tripadvisor sites about the Cuban resorts. Cuba is stunningly beautiful, and probably one of the safest places we have traveled to, but the food is NOT the draw.
Hey no worries Alix, I understood you wasn't being personal, I guessed it was because your closer to the place and it's probably like your Spain to us. I'm glad you mentioned it because I've always wanted to go there but along with how nice a place looks the food is very important to me. I like to sample the local cuisines and learn about other countries foods and if it's bland then I will choose another destination. Would you say this is common for most caribbean islands or just Cuba?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #2210
Senior Cook

Typo in my book list The Help, not Helo. Can I not edit my own post?