"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #2231
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I listen to books on my ipod. Audible.com has great selection and it is easy to download.
Thank you. I will look into it.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #2232
Executive Chef

I have started reading a book called "What they'll never tell you about the music business". I can't believe some of the stuff I am reading. I am amazed at how greedy and sleazy some of these practices are.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #2233
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I listen to books on my ipod. Audible.com has great selection and it is easy to download.
I do the same thing with my smartphone. I plug it into the car radio, so it plays through the speakers on the way to work. Everywhere else, I use a set of wireless bluetooth headphones. No matter where I go, I'm never without my books or music.

I love Audible.com, but it can get a little spendy, since I sometimes listen to 5 or 6 books a month.

I've been looking at AudioBooks.com. You pay a monthly fee of $24.95 and it gives you access to unlimited books. Has anyone tried this service?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #2234
Senior Cook

Yes, audible can get expensive I hope someone on here can recommend.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #2235
Sous Chef

John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee

One of the most praised series ever comes to Audible

The list of authors who are also fans of John D. MacDonald and his Travis McGee series reads like a who's who of modern and contemporary mystery and thriller writers. "The great entertainer of our age, and a mesmerizing storyteller," raves Stephen King. Jonathan Kellerman calls MacDonald "the consummate pro, a master storyteller, and witty observer", while Sue Grafton suggests he has had "a dominant influence on writers crafting the continuing series character." And forget about the genre of mystery, Dean Koontz has said that MacDonald is his "favorite novelist of all time." Audible is excited to present the first seven titles in this extraordinary series. More titles are coming soon, so stay tuned.

Oh, Yay.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #2236
Executive Chef

Wow! And I've been a John D. MacDonald fan for decades. I recall my sadness when I discovered he would be writing any more novels...

Sue Grafton is another interesting author, with her "Kinsey Milhone" AKA "alphabet" series, starting out with A is for Alibi, then B is for Burglar, etc. up to her latest V is for Vengeance. I'm caught up to U is for Undertow but after 21 of her novels I'm afraid I'm getting a bit jaded. Maybe I'll wait for "X" to come out, just because I'm curious what she'll pick for X is for ________. I presume she'll retire after "Z"... (Although in the engineering documentation field the next version would be AA. I guess that would obviously be AA is for Aardvark. )

But still, I stuck through 21 novels because each interested me enough to read the sequel.

Sharon, please post if you discover who the reader will be for the McGee novels. I'm not a fan of audio books but I believe the reader could make a very big difference.

I'm a big Hayao Miyazaki anime fan and it's astonishing who voices the various characters in his movies, some of our top actors and actresses.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #2237
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

Sue Grafton is another interesting author, with her "Kinsey Milhone" AKA "alphabet" series, starting out with A is for Alibi, then B is for Burglar, etc. up to her latest V is for Vengeance. I'm caught up to U is for Undertow but after 21 of her novels I'm afraid I'm getting a bit jaded.
I'm up to J. There not a bad series but I find myself skipping the discriptions of all the main characters now. But still cant stop reading them :)
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #2238
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm very close to finishing "Catching Fire" in the "Hunger Games" series...this one is reading much faster than the first. One more to go and then I have to attack the formidable stack of unread books...2 boxes and books stacked on top, that I have yet to read.

But, this weekend's reading will be centered on The Pioneer Woman Cooks...
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #2239
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Sharon, please post if you discover who the reader will be for the McGee novels. I'm not a fan of audio books but I believe the reader could make a very big difference.
I love audio books... That's all I have on my iPod. It is always wonderful to see new ones from a favorite author (Macdonald). Previously there were only a few on cassettes recorded by Darren McGavin which were okay, but were abridged = anathema, IMO.
Here you can Listen to Sample of one of the newly recorded Travis McGee novels. The reader DOES make a difference. At Audible you can search for books read by your favorite readers, a nice feature.
Sue Grafton's books are recorded (mostly) by Judy Kaye, who is very good.
MY FAVORITE reader is Michael Prichard, who reads the Rex Stout Nero Wolfe novels. He's also recorded some Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum. I've listened to all the available Rex Stout books more than once.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #2240
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I do the same thing with my smartphone. I plug it into the car radio, so it plays through the speakers on the way to work. Everywhere else, I use a set of wireless bluetooth headphones. No matter where I go, I'm never without my books or music.

I love Audible.com, but it can get a little spendy, since I sometimes listen to 5 or 6 books a month.

I've been looking at AudioBooks.com. You pay a monthly fee of $24.95 and it gives you access to unlimited books. Has anyone tried this service?
Audible is worth it, for me! There are several different membership plans, with the cost per audio book ranging from $9.56 to $14.95. I'm currently on the "2 credits per month" @ $22.95. They have periodic promotions where you can "buy extra credits" for about $11.** each. At other times they feature 100's of books on sale for $4.95 each. I recently bought T.H. White's "Once and Future King" for $4.95. So I save my credits for the pricey books and watch for the sales. They also have a member freebie each month (usually a short story or sample chapter). In Dec. the freebie was a recording of "A Christmas Carol" read by Tim Curry.
You can also download each book you buy to up to three computers and up to three other devices [it may be three other devices for each computer, not sure]... so my husband and I can both listen. You can also burn them to cds. For us, that's preferable to paying the $24.95 a month for streaming an unlimited number of books one at a time.
P. S. I don't work for Audible.com. Just a very happy customer.