"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #2251
Head Chef

I like Sue Grafton's series, although the 'set-ups' did get to be a bit much. I've not read the last few yet; maybe with more time in between them I won't mind reading about Henry again.

Just finished a recommended book, The Children's Blizzard. Thanks for the tip, Aunt Bea and, I apologize, one other person whose name has flown from my mind at the moment. Boy, that was some storm in 1888 -- some tough period in the midwest's history. Those hardy, hardy people.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #2252
Executive Chef

matterhorn, by karl mariantes is the best book i've read about the viet nam war. some great insights into the soldier bonding that occurs in times of war.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #2253
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"Ghost Story" by Jim Butcher, another Harry Dresden Story.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #2254
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I like Sue Grafton's series, although the 'set-ups' did get to be a bit much. I've not read the last few yet; maybe with more time in between them I won't mind reading about Henry again.
Haha! I'm sick of reading about Henry too. Grafton should write "Y is for Y Not Kill Henry?," a novel about a Grafton fan who kills Henry because he or she is sick of reading about him.

I've just started Taken by Robert Crais and I can understand why PF was a bit put off. It's a very intense book with lots of violence and is probably not for the squeamish, nor for those in a squeamy mood.

I've had slow reading lately because I just haven't been able get involved. This Crais novel has me really involved and I'll probably blow through it in another two days of 2-3 hours reading per evening.

Next up: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins! I've already got #2 reserved!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #2255
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Haha! I'm sick of reading about Henry too. Grafton should write "Y is for Y Not Kill Henry?," a novel about a Grafton fan who kills Henry because he or she is sick of reading about him.

I've just started Taken by Robert Crais and I can understand why PF was a bit put off. It's a very intense book with lots of violence and is probably not for the squeamish, nor for those in a squeamy mood.

I've had slow reading lately because I just haven't been able get involved. This Crais novel has me really involved and I'll probably blow through it in another two days of 2-3 hours reading per evening.

Next up: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins! I've already got #2 reserved!
Y Not Kill Henry sounds like the perfect next project! The crazy Hungarian restaurant lady can be the perp.

My last trip to the library I took back two books I hadn't finished - I used to always finish a book once started, on principle, I thought. Halfway through these two books, principle be darned, I thought. I either just didn't like the characters or the subject hit too close to home emotionally. Couldn't see the benefit in subjecting myself to uncomfortable subject matter. There's plenty of that on TV news from day to day. So this time I'm off to a "quiet Yorkshire village" in Dying in the Wool. And a new-for-me duo of Harpur & Iles in Vacuum by Bill James.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #2256
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm currently reading Sandra Brown's Smokescreen. She always keeps me interested.

I ordered the Patrick Lee trilogy which was mentioned earlier: The Breach, Ghost Country, and Deep Sky.

I probably won't have them by the time I finish Smokescreen so I'll have a chance to finally finish Jane Auel's Land of the Painted Caves.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2257
Sous Chef

Recently finished "Matched" by Ally Condie - yet another YA dystopian future novel - it's the first of a trilogy also. I enjoyed reading it and gave it three stars on Goodreads, though some comments there say it's VERY like a much earlier book, "The Giver" by Lois Lowry, which my daughter says she read in high school (she's 26 now).
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #2258
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Y Not Kill Henry sounds like the perfect next project! The crazy Hungarian restaurant lady can be the perp.
I love the idea of the annoying Hungarian woman taking the fall! Then maybe Kinsey's old cop boyfriend could retire and turn the joint into a good barbecue place!

I think Grafton stole the annoying Hungarian woman character from Steinfeld's "Soup Nazi' character... (A whole TV series about annoying nothings.)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #2259
Sous Chef

Just to say... I really LIKE the characters of Henry and Rosie in the Sue Grafton novels. Super-cool 80-somethings. I know a few of those myself. :)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #2260
Head Chef

It's not that I dislike them, it's a matter of over-familiarity. They're like the little kid next door who comes over so often he becomes a pest. As the Pythons would say, "give it a rest."