"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #2261
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
It's not that I dislike them, it's a matter of over-familiarity. They're like the little kid next door who comes over so often he becomes a pest. As the Pythons would say, "give it a rest."
+1

Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #2262
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm reading War Horse. I have never read a book after seeing a movie but since my grandson spent money he received from his teacher for work well done I couldn't refuse. He is my heart and it thrills me that he would do this for me.So War Horse it is then, on to Hunger games.
kades

Old 03-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #2263
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi. This is SimonBaker's daughter Dani.
I'm reading Treasure Island at the moment for school it isnt that interesting. I am also reading stories on a website called Wattpad.com. The books on there are great. You can even write your own book! :)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #2264
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hello Dani,

I agree, right now "Treasure Island," might not be that exciting but, it is a good book to learn writing styles. It can teach you about writing descriptions and dialogue. You can also compare it to the "Pirates of The Caribbean" stories and see where a lot of the ideas for that came from. It was written very long ago (1883) and it is interesting to see how writing styles have changed since then.

Have fun with it!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #2265
Executive Chef

The Allure of Apulia

I am writing an article, for the magazine ... so we are re-reading, re-editing, proofing etcetra ... Here we are, the 3 boys, my younger daughter Nathalia, my son in law and the Vet.

Have a Happy Holiday and nice wkend.

Margi
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #2266
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
It's not that I dislike them, it's a matter of over-familiarity. They're like the little kid next door who comes over so often he becomes a pest. As the Pythons would say, "give it a rest."
Yes, I got it... I should have put the word "still" in front of LIKE in previous post... I agree that it's a problem sometimes with series. Some writers are more awkward about repeating information about characters than others... Yet that has to happen a little in case someone picks up "S is for Silence" (my favorite) before "A is for Alibi." (At least with Sue Grafton it's dead easy to see the proper order in which to read the books.)

I was just saying I DO still like reading about Henry and his family and Rosie...

The best one at smoothly repeating characters (IMO) was Ed McBain, who wrote more than 50 novels about recurring characters of the 87th Precinct... I never got tired of those.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2267
Executive Chef

here's a fun fact for all of you sue grafton readers: influenced not only by her detective author dad, c.w. grafton, but also ross macdonald and john d. macdonald--good company indeed.... :)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2268
Wine Guy

Finished books 1 and 2 of the "Gray Man" series by Mark Greaney, and just started book 3 ("Ballistic"). If you're not familiar with the series, it's about a rogue CIA operative turned assassin.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #2269
Executive Chef

I've finished Taken by Robert Crais, and enjoyed it. It is action-suspense genre and may have a bit too much graphic violence for some readers.

Next up: The Hunger Games
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #2270
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I picked up a book from the apartments' library, Kurt Eichenwald's Informant.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote