"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #2321
Chef Extraordinaire

I love reading cook books. When I had to severely downsize, I had to get rid of all my cookbooks. My favorite recipes are now in my computer. My heart broke when I had to get rid of my signed copy of "Baking With Julia". It was quite by accident that I bumped into her right after I bought the book at Borders. I was sitting outside on one of the benches and got up and started to walk while I was reading the book. Not watching where I was going, I bumped right into her. She saw me reading her new book and offered to sign it right there for me. I treasured that book. Every so often I would take it off the book shelf and look at her signature before I would start to read it again. I have made the Gale Gand 'Different Lemon Meringue'. And I picked up some bread making tips from the owners of "When Pigs Fly' bakery here in Massachusetts.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #2322
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh Addie, I would be in tears giving up something like that.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #2323
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh Addie, I would be in tears giving up something like that.
Believe me I was. When I was cleaning out the bookcase, I just hugged and hugged that book before I could put it in the box. I am welling up just thinking about it. Whoever ended up with it can say they have a first edition with her signature in it.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #2324
Executive Chef

I've begun A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin, and it's really good but I'm finding that the complexity makes for really slow reading. I'll be lucky to finish this book before it's due back at the library (3 weeks) unless I go into overtime and pay the fines (probably worth it). I'm pleased that I already know I'll enjoy this novel and the sequels too, so there's plenty of good reading ahead.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #2325
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Believe me I was. When I was cleaning out the bookcase, I just hugged and hugged that book before I could put it in the box. I am welling up just thinking about it. Whoever ended up with it can say they have a first edition with her signature in it.
I'm so sorry you had to do this. I hope that I am not put in that position and if I am, someone would get my collection who loves it as much as I do.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #2326
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm so sorry you had to do this. I hope that I am not put in that position and if I am, someone would get my collection who loves it as much as I do.
Thank you. All my cookbooks were first editions. I donated them to the big Salvation Army store up on Route #1. I didn't mention the signature inside of Julia's book. I figured it would be a surprise for someone.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #2327
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've finished The Hunger Games and enjoyed it, and I'm on the reserve list for the two sequels.
Are any of you aware that the American Assocation of Libraries has decided to ban the book The Hunger Games?".
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #2328
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Are any of you aware that the American Assocation of Libraries has decided to ban the book The Hunger Games?".
I just searched their website and did not find anything that suggests they are Banning The Hunger Games. Can you point me to where you read this, Addie? Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #2329
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I just searched their website and did not find anything that suggests they are Banning The Hunger Games. Can you point me to where you read this, Addie? Thanks!
It was a little blurb of news on the net the week the movie came out. Only two or three sentences. But where, I can't remember.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #2330
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It was a little blurb of news on the net the week the movie came out. Only two or three sentences. But where, I can't remember.
According to the website the author, Suzanne Collins, is one of the top authors that have been challenged (by others) to be banned, but they themselves are not considering it. The American Association of Libraries is an advocate for non-censorship...they are opposed to banning books.