"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #2331
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Are any of you aware that the American Assocation of Libraries has decided to ban the book The Hunger Games?".
I read the book and I enjoyed it, and if anybody wants to ban it then IMO they are nuts!

Perhaps part of the issue is that in some respects this is considered "youth fiction" and subject to more stringent standards. However I believe that parents should supervise reading and all other activities of their children. I see no reason to ban this book, although parents of pre-teen children might have cause for concern due to the violence. After all, the book is about a dystopian society with a ritual involving children killing children. That's a concept that would require a certain level of maturity of the reader and could be unsuitable for younger readers.

I think the level of violence in movies that parents often allow their children to view far exceeds the violence depicted in the books. I haven't seen the movie but I'll bet the impact of violence from the movie far exceeds that in the book. It's a far different impact to be actually shown violence than merely have it described in narrative.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #2332
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've switched to Greg Iles True Evil. Very exciting and fast paced.

John Varney's Titan is a bit much. I've read about half, but wanted something more conventional. I'll get back to it later.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #2333
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I read the book and I enjoyed it, and if anybody wants to ban it then IMO they are nuts!

Perhaps part of the issue is that in some respects this is considered "youth fiction" and subject to more stringent standards. However I believe that parents should supervise reading and all other activities of their children. I see no reason to ban this book, although parents of pre-teen children might have cause for concern due to the violence. After all, the book is about a dystopian society with a ritual involving children killing children. That's a concept that would require a certain level of maturity of the reader and could be unsuitable for younger readers.

I think the level of violence in movies that parents often allow their children to view far exceeds the violence depicted in the books. I haven't seen the movie but I'll bet the impact of violence from the movie far exceeds that in the book. It's a far different impact to be actually shown violence than merely have it described in narrative.

movie renditions of violence usually pale when compared to what my mind is capable of creating from the violence found in any book i'm reading.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #2334
Executive Chef

The exchange rate for Columbian Pesos - .06 US cents per COP.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #2335
Senior Cook

Truman Capote short stories

I'm now reading THE COMPLETE STORIES OF TRUMAN CAPOTE.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #2336
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
I'm now reading THE COMPLETE STORIES OF TRUMAN CAPOTE.
A logical choice, after "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Did you see the movie "Capote"? I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant, but the portrayal of Harper Lee by Catherine Keener was so fascinating - I wonder if their relationship was like that.
Some say that Capote may have written To Kill a Mockingbird, at least in part. After seeing "Capote" I figure Truman Capote himself started that rumor...
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #2337
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
A logical choice, after "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Did you see the movie "Capote"? I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was brilliant, but the portrayal of Harper Lee by Catherine Keener was so fascinating - I wonder if their relationship was like that.
Some say that Capote may have written To Kill a Mockingbird, at least in part. After seeing "Capote" I figure Truman Capote himself started that rumor...
I loved PS Hoffman in "Capote." It's about time it read, "In Cold Blood," again.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #2338
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm reading another Greg Iles book, The Quiet Game.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #2339
Executive Chef

anne rice recently broke off her decade's old affair with organized religion, and i am once again spellbound by her velvety prose. god help me, twenty years ago i willingly followed her into her world of vampires. so here i go again, only this time it is werewolves instead of vampires. the book, the wolf gift, is the same age old tug-of-war between good and evil which anne rice does so masterfully well. i am such an unlikely fan of vampires, werewolves and supernatural romance, but i'm thrilled to see anne back in her element and practicing her craft again....
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #2340
Sous Chef

I finished The Hunger Games and Catching Fire over the weekend. I started Mockingjay last night but didnt get very far. Like them so far!