"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #2341
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
anne rice recently broke off her decade's old affair with organized religion, and i am once again spellbound by her velvety prose. god help me, twenty years ago i willingly followed her into her world of vampires. so here i go again, only this time it is werewolves instead of vampires. the book, the wolf gift, is the same age old tug-of-war between good and evil which anne rice does so masterfully well. i am such an unlikely fan of vampires, werewolves and supernatural romance, but i'm thrilled to see anne back in her element and practicing her craft again....

I read some Anne Rice quite a few years back and her books terrified me. I'm serious... everytime I would read about Lestat, it would start storming outside. I finally gave up, threw the book under the bed, couldn't sleep so I got up and threw it outside.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #2342
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I read some Anne Rice quite a few years back and her books terrified me. I'm serious... everytime I would read about Lestat, it would start storming outside. I finally gave up, threw the book under the bed, couldn't sleep so I got up and threw it outside.
Reminds me of when I was reading "Cujo" by Stephen King. I had to remove the front cover of the book...probably wouldn't have been as hair raising for me if our new neighbors upstairs didn't have a baby blue Pinto and a St. Bernard

Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2343
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Reminds me of when I was reading "Cujo" by Stephen King. I had to remove the front cover of the book...probably wouldn't have been as hair raising for me if our new neighbors upstairs didn't have a baby blue Pinto and a St. Bernard
Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #2344
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

When I read "The Exorcist" in high school, I had to put it in a drawer in another room before I went to bed. Creeped me out big time.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #2345
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

When I read "The Exorcist" in high school, I had to put it in a drawer in another room before I went to bed. Creeped me out big time.
If I ever tried to read that, I would never sleep again
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #2346
Executive Chef

Forgot if I said, finished and enjoyed Hunger Games (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed A Game of Thrones (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed The Drop by Michael Connell (his latest Harry Bosch novel), and currently reading and enjoying Hard Magic by Larry Correia. Hard Magic was recommended here in this topic, thanks whoever suggested it! I also have the sequel on the way. (On the way = reserved at local public library.)

Also thanks to those in the topic I think next time I run out of ideas perhaps I'll read a few classics, perhaps Dickens or Tolstoy.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #2347
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Forgot if I said, finished and enjoyed Hunger Games (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed A Game of Thrones (got the sequels on the way), finished and enjoyed The Drop by Michael Connell (his latest Harry Bosch novel), and currently reading and enjoying Hard Magic by Larry Correia. Hard Magic was recommended here in this topic, thanks whoever suggested it! I also have the sequel on the way. (On the way = reserved at local public library.)

Also thanks to those in the topic I think next time I run out of ideas perhaps I'll read a few classics, perhaps Dickens or Tolstoy.
I have had Game of Thrones sitting here since it first came out, just haven't got around to it! I need to go back through this thread and make a list of the books recommended that I haven't read yet. (and probably re- read a few that I had forgotten about!)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #2348
Executive Chef

Not everybody will enjoy A Game of Thrones. I did and I'm looking forward to the sequels, but I'm somewhat put off knowing that it will be several years before the series is concluded, and much longer if the author meets his demise before the final is published.

Those who enjoyed A Game of Thrones should consider reading the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones, currently 4 in a series of 5 completed. Jones's novels are the closest I've read to Martin's novels.

With either or both you gotta hope the author doesn't get hit by a bus before the series is completed, or have a heart attack like Stieg Larsson. Although admittedly much harder on the authors than on the readers.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #2349
Executive Chef

oh greg, you can be so funny sometimes.... :)
Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #2350
Chef Extraordinaire

Death by China: Confronting the Dragon. A thought-provoking read.