"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #2411
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Tricky Business by Dave Barry. Boy, is he skewering Florida! This one's about the off-shore gambling boats.

Just finished There Goes the Bride by M. C. Beaton. I enjoy her Agatha Raisin series for quick, fun reads in between more serious stuff.
I have read all of M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin mysteries. Enjoyed them all.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #2412
Master Chef

Started Catching Fire this week. It's the second in the Hunger Games trilogy. Also reading Bill O'Reilly's "Culture Warrior" that DH picked up at the thrift store for $0.25. An interesting look at the factions of American culture fighting for dominance. And I've got a David Baldacci book "The Winner" going too! In case you are wondering, I have a book downstairs, one upstairs and one goes to work.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #2413
Executive Chef

I enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy. I hope perhaps somebody will tell us this author is working on some new novels.

I'm on #5 of 5 out of 7 of The Throne Game septology (seven novels projected, right, a septology... I bet nobody else noticed that yet the novel relying on one sect where 7 is the favorite number). I'm a bit saddened since I know that the next (#6) in this series is not expected until about 2013-2015, and that the series may not culminate until about 2016-2017.

If anybody has the occasion to see George R.R. Martin step out in front of a bus, please throw yourself on him and drag him back out of the path. If you have to sacrifice yourself then we'll love you for it!
Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #2414
Executive Chef

Authoress Donatella Arpania

New York City Restaurateur and authoress Donatella Arpania: Her book in Italian is a stunning enchanting historical and awesome account of her ancestors in Puglia ...

Her restaurant is: Mia Dona, Kefie & Anthos ...

" The beauty of the Puglia Table is itsī simplicity " ...

Lovely photos too ...

Ciao,
Margi.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #2415
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
At the recommendation of my best friend, I picked up a copy of The Secret Life of Bees at the library last week.

I started reading it a few days ago and am enjoying it very much. I'd been aware of the book but was unfamiliar with the subject until Suzanne told me about it. She and I have been best friends for over 58 years and have many of the same reading tastes, so I trusted her suggestion.
When I put this book down last night, I'd read about a third of it. Well, I just polished off the rest this afternoon. What a super book!

I just put it on my Netflix order. Hope the movie is as good as the book.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #2416
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H

When I put this book down last night, I'd read about a third of it. Well, I just polished off the rest this afternoon. What a super book!

I just put it on my Netflix order. Hope the movie is as good as the book.
Loved the book, really enjoyed the movie. I think you'll like it too.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #2417
Master Chef

Loved The Secret Life of Bees, both the book and the movie.

Just finished the Kathy Reichs' Spider Bones. I always like her novels, but really appreciated this one because when my husband was assigned to Hawaii, I worked at Hickam Air Force Base, and worked with one of the officers who was in the field, trying to collect and validate MIA remains for this organization. DNA testing didn't yet exist, at least not to the degree we know now, and my husband took a tour of the facility. One of the ways they'd do identification, then, was to reproduce the skull, then build on it to create a face, then compare it to photos of the missing. It was amazing what they could do. In the novel, she talks about stopping everything to attend a repatriation of remains. My husband and I participated in one, and it is a real tear-jerker.

There were always locals who were hoping to get money and would bring bones to this guy (he was an Air Force Lieutenant Colonel), claiming they were bones of an MIA military man. Sometimes they wouldn't even be human -- he told me of monkey, pig, and even chicken bones. Needless to say, those didn't even make it out of country, they could figure it out fast.

The ceremony I participated in was that of the man who was determined to be the "unknown soldier" of the Vietnam War.

I found this book to be very interesting because her facts seemed solid and she accorded respect where it is due.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #2418
Executive Chef

fllaubert's salammbo, balzac's father periot and zola's germinal. it all started with kayelle's mention of pope's cezanne's quarry. so, your fault, kayelle--and thank you, btw...hope you are living your dreams this month in paris....
Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #2419
Executive Chef

am enjoying gregg allman's rocker memoir, my cross to bear....
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #2420
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Last week I read The Hunger Games and started Catching Fire.