"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #2421
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Last week I read The Hunger Games and started Catching Fire.
You are turning the pages too fast, paper burns easily you know...

Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #2422
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You are turning the pages too fast, paper burns easily you know...
Even worse... on the Kindle.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #2423
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Even worse... on the Kindle.
LOL!!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #2424
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I finally donated more than half of my books to the apartments' library downstairs, hoping that a bunch more enjoyable books would encourage others to donate more also. It's working. I got a bunch of books that I've been whizzing through, including one by Greg Iles, Blood Memory, the original J.D. Robb series, Naked in Death, and Boneyard by Michelle Gagnon that I'm about to finish.

I hadn't read any Michelle Gagnon before, but will definitely be looking for more.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #2425
Master Chef

When my husband and I were on the road, almost every organized campground had a "library" of books that were donated. You could exchange them one for one. These were my life-line. I had a milk crate in the back of the pickup, and it was always full of already-read books. Sometimes I'd take them to the day room or laundry room, and just exchange. Sometimes I'd find a town with a real used book store and exchange them there. I still have some towns where I know where to find a good used book store (I very rarely buy new books, when you read 3-5 books a week, new isn't much of an option)(By the way, if you're ever in Edgewater, FL, Brown's is the place to go, but I also found some good books for $1 at the Family Dollar store, and a "Book Rack" has opened a branch there, which I haven't had time to visit).

The book I most recently read was Carry the One by Carol Anshaw. Wasn't much impressed. All the action takes place in the first chapter, then the rest of the book is about how the various people involved were affected by it. Lots of angst and not much to move it forward. So now I'm going for goofy and reading Bones in High Places by Suzette Hill. Just looking for light right now, with father in the hospital, and good friend laid up with a torn tendon. Don't want any brain food, just looking for brain candy.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #2426
Executive Chef

A Few More Older Edition Cookbook Bargains

Buon Giorno,

It is a rarity that I read fiction ... I have an unquenchable thirst for world history, geography, oenology, gastronomy, culture, business and the sciences ...

Here are a few of my latest 2nd hand finds which I encountered at the Madridīs American Club Book Fair ...

1) BEARD ON FOOD: this James Beard edition focuses on his favourite newspaper columns that he had published.

2) THE COUNTRY COOKING OF FRANCE: This Culinary Institute La Varenne, features some technical as well as Stunning French recipes by Ann Willan.

3) MY LAST SUPPER: This is an interesting take on 50 different modern Chefs who create their final meals. Chefs Mario Batali and Chef Jaime Oliver have provided their Amalfi Coast, Campagnia, Italy recipes ... Written by: M. Dunea.

4) BERGHOFF FAMILY COOKBOOK: This Chicago based renowned restaurant family and their recipes is the theme of this edition.

5) PURE DESSERT: This covers European and North American artisianal chocolates and fresh cheese and fruit desserts rather than the traditional elaborations. Written by: Alice Medrich.

Have nice day,
Ciao, Margi.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #2427
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My next foray will be George RR Martin's Fevre Dream, it's about VAMPIRES!!! You see that Frank??? He wrote about VAMPIRES!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #2428
Master Chef

I'm currently working through a Dean Koontz novel "Seize the Night" which is sufficiently creepy with nuggets of inspirational insight into the human condition. Some of the things his main character believes and says are quite profound and can get me thinking.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #2429
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My next foray will be George RR Martin's Fevre Dream, it's about VAMPIRES!!! You see that Frank??? He wrote about VAMPIRES!!!!!!

Hopefully they don't sparkle in the *&(*^^%^%*(*& sun like some other recent vampires.

When I get done with The Hunger Games stuff I might have to look into those.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #2430
Executive Chef

I've finished the Hunger Games series, finished the 5 available volumes of Game of Thrones series...

Currently reading The Mists of Avalon which is Marion Zimmer Bradley's take on the Arthuruan legend/fantasy presented from a female point of view (main character is Morgaine le Fey, King Arthur's sister). The novel has been surprisingly good. In some ways it resembles Martin's series, although Avalon is set in about 5th century England, and the main fantasy part is mostly related to Seeing (remote viewing or seeing the future)... It's about the wars between English and Saxons, and about the contest between Christianity and Druidism, presented mostly from the Druid point of view (Morgaine). I recommend the book, particularly to women.