"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #2431
Senior Cook

I am reading The Forgotten Garden bt Kate Morton. A little hard to follow as she jumps from three different times. She wrote The House at Riverton, which is on my Kindle to read next, if I get through this one. Paris Wife after that

Old 06-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #2432
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Hopefully they don't sparkle in the *&(*^^%^%*(*& sun like some other recent vampires.

When I get done with The Hunger Games stuff I might have to look into those.
Just came out in paper yesterday. Looks like he might try a series with this one, too. The Fevre Dream is a riverboat...

Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #2433
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just came out in paper yesterday. Looks like he might try a series with this one, too. The Fevre Dream is a riverboat...
The Fevre Dream? A riverboat? I'll have to go to my library's web site and see ... The Galena River (where I live) was once called the Fevre and used to have river boats (wasn't dredged for years and now is way too shallow for all but canoes and pontoons and such). I wonder if it's set around here.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #2434
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
The Fevre Dream? A riverboat? I'll have to go to my library's web site and see ... The Galena River (where I live) was once called the Fevre and used to have river boats (wasn't dredged for years and now is way too shallow for all but canoes and pontoons and such). I wonder if it's set around here.
The blurb on the back says The Mississippi.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #2435
Master Chef

I looked it up and it says the Mississippi, but we are about 12 miles from the Ms., the Galena (formally the Fevre) is a tributary. So I'll probably see if I can get the book anyway (heck, I'll read anything.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #2436
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
After a discussion a week or so ago with one of Glenn's little granddaughters about Alice in Wonderland, I've begun reading it again. Oh, what fun. I'm about to enjoy the croquet game with the queen.

Hannah Beth had not read it and had little knowledge of the story so I hope to, at least, be able to tell her a short version of it sometime soon. In the meantime I'm enjoying the story myself.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #2437
Assistant Cook

I just got through reading 2 Seconds Late by Eric Wilson. It was a good read. The story of Job with a modern and inverted twist. He's also the gentleman who novelized Fireproof, Facing The Giants, etc.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #2438
Chef Extraordinaire

At the moment, hubby and I are both reading the same thing on our kindles

The author is G Norman Lippert and he has written some books that follow on from the Harry Potter books. The books have the children of the original Harry Potter novels in them.

James Potter book 1 is brilliant, I am halfway through it and it is so like reading a Harry Potter novel, the writing is fabulous and there are so many familiarities with refernce to all things Harry...I definitely recommend these books for anyone who is a fan of the Harry Potter books

He is not selling his books, they are free

Books Are Here
Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #2439
Executive Chef

Recently finished The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley (fantasy and King Arthur legend) and enjoyed it. A bit slow at end but well worth the read. I think particularly women would enjoy this treatment of the legend which is presented from a feminine point of view (Morgaine le Fey is the principal narrative character.)

Just finished V is for Vengeance, Sue Grafton's 22nd outing with her Kinsey Millhone mystery P.I. series.

Currently perusing Ratio while deciding which novel to dig into next. The choices are T. Jefferson Parker (The Jaguar), W.E.B. Griffin (Covert Warriors) and Sebastian Rotella(Triple Crossing) but honestly my heart just isn't into reading some adrenaline pounding thriller at the present time, so I may return all these to the library and hit the shelves again.

I've been enjoying a fair amount of fantasy the last several months, probably partly because they typically aren't as adrenaline pounding as the mystery/action/suspense that I have enjoyed for so many years.

I'm planning on reading the entire Harry Potter series at some point in the future. I've seen most of the Harry Potter movies and enjoyed the ones I saw.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #2440
Chef Extraordinaire

Greg, you must read the Harry Potter series...they really are wonderful books and such an easy read. JK Rowling is so fluent and such a wonderful writer, her books are a pleasure to read

I noticed too that G Norman Lippert too has such good writing ability. While I am reading his books you could easily think you were reading a novel by JK Rowling

I too like mystery/thriller novels