"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #2471
Everymom

Oh lordy. I clearly had too much wine with dinner. I completely misread that post. Sorry TL!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #2472
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pratchett makes me laugh all the time. The first one I ever read was "Small Gods" and Shrek thought I was having conniption fits. Took two more Pratchetts before I convinced him he was missing out on some good stories. I gave him "Soul Music" to read first.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #2473
Executive Chef

the belly of paris, or otherwise known as the fat and the thin, by emile zola. a book about rich versus poor in nineteenth century france. remarkable food descriptions throughout!!! from fish auctions to fish markets to luscious fruit and vegetable displays, to the ever tempting pork shop....who knew zola was a foodie?! i loved this book, and was sorry to have it end. when/if i'm ever flush with money i may come back and buy mark kurlansky's translation of this remarkable novel. the 95 cent version i read is said to be a terrible translation. still, a great read. the main problem as i see it is very poor editing, not the writing. funny how kurlansky keeps popping up now and again at the mention of food and history....
Old 06-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #2474
Head Chef

The Strongest Tribe by Bing West. It was written by a combat reporter embedded with the troops in Iraq.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #2475
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Pratchett makes me laugh all the time. The first one I ever read was "Small Gods" and Shrek thought I was having conniption fits. Took two more Pratchetts before I convinced him he was missing out on some good stories. I gave him "Soul Music" to read first.
I started reading the Disk World series when there was only The Colour of Magic. I have read most of them in order.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #2476
Master Chef

Forgotten Country by Catherine Chung. Just started it. I've known a lot of Korean people in my life, both immigrants and 2nd generation. So think I'll enjoy it.

In the past couple of weeks I've read The Impossible Dead (Ian Rankin), Beastly Things (Donna Leon)(almost enough to turn you vegetarian), A Room of Bones (Elly Griffiths), Bones in High Places (Suzette Hill)(I don't know why, but I have an ongoing affection for comfy mysteries centered around clergy), Carry the One (Carol Anshaw) (didn't like it, don't care for novels where something happens in the first chapter and the whole novel is about the angst everyone suffers afterwards), and Death of a Kingfisher (M.C. Beaton) (love those mysteries from across the pond!).
Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2477
Executive Chef

"THe Casual Vacancy" -- by J.K. Rowling -- her first adult novel!

I have been predicting this since the J.K. Rowling "Potter" franchise was completed. We all speculated where she would go next. Some thought she would eke in another Potter. I disagreed. I opined that she would move to adult fiction and depart juvenile fiction (nothing wrong with that, she just did all that, and succeeded beyond all but the wildest imaginations).

Now the shape of her future has come out. As I predicted, Rowling decided to try her hand at adult fiction.

The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (Amazon link)

From my public library site:

Quote:
When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock. Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war. Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils--Pagford is not what it first seems. And the empty seat left by Barry on the town’s council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations? The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults
(they didn't credit the source)

I knew this was coming! I just found out about the new novel about an hour ago. I've reserved my copy at my local library. I know they'll buy literally hundreds of copies, and my own reservation is in the mid-80s. I'll get my own copy the first week after publication (according to Amazon, September 27, 2012). In my past experience with our excellent public library I will be the very first person to read the library copy that I'll get, probably about a week after the publication date. (The libraries get the copies sooner than publication date, but they are forbidden to distribute the copies early--except for librarian reads of course--and due to the delay in any government agency it will take them probably a week to ship all the copies within the system to any branch other than the one that got the copy originally).

So any of you who want to read this book quickly should either order your copy or should make a reservation at your local public library, soon.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #2478
Chef Extraordinaire

Excellent, thanks for that information Greg

We will certainly try to get this on the Kindle, as it will be interesting to see her writing for adults
Old 07-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #2479
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Saw an interview with Michael Wigge, author of "How to Travel the World for Free" on the Today Show this morn. I ordered the Kindle edition for around $4, it's really interesting!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #2480
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reading, off and on, Anne of Green Gables on my iPhone. I never read it before. It is really well written. I am enjoying it a lot.