"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #2481
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I'm reading, off and on, Anne of Green Gables on my iPhone. I never read it before. It is really well written. I am enjoying it a lot.
I loved the whole series. L.M. Montgomery was a wonderful author.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #2482
Executive Chef

Guantánamo 10 Years After: By: Emma Reverter

Buon Giorno,

This is a non fiction work based on the prison that was created under the Bush Administration after the September 11th, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centres.

Journalist Emma Reverter reveals the secrets behind this concentration camp.

I about to begin the book in Spanish and it is called:

Guantánamo Diez Años Despues

Have nice wkend.,
Ciao, Margaux.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #2483
Master Chef

I'm reading a kindle freebie "Don't Let Me Go" about a young girl whose mom is going through drug and alcohol addiction. The girl makes friends with a ragtag group of folks in her apartment building who band together to take care of the girl. One of the folks is agoraphobic. The girl bonds with him and seems to help him with his anxieties. I'm about 1/3 into it. Really good.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #2484
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately as I've been reading so much. I'm now working on the Eve Duncan series by Iris Johansen. It's stand alone stories, but I got tired of reading about happenings from other books so I finally looked up the order they were written and am working my through my latest batch.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #2485
Executive Chef

Funny I just finished Iris Johansen's What Doesn't Kill You which was a bit better than her And Then You Die... and Eight Days to Live, but I made a note to never read another of her novels. Not exactly bodice rippers but I think there are plenty of better novels out there.

Recommendation: Stephen White's latest "Alan Gregory" novel is out next month, Line of Fire. Gregory is a psychologist, just like the author, and White has unusual perceptions about psychological characters and psychological thrillers. Sadly this is the planned penultimate volume of the 21 novel series. White says he will be writing new projects that do not involve the Alan Gregory character.

The release announcement must have been well hidden (or I'm the only White fan awake in Los Angeles) because I reserved my copy at the LA Public Library in a sub-20 spot, and if LAPL buys as many copies as previous Steven White novels then I expect them to buy 200+ copies, so I'll get to read the novel within about a week of the publishing date.

The publishing date of this novel is August 7, 2012, mere weeks from today. Are there any other White enthusiasts here on the forum? ... Any who read the reviews and are attracted to the series should begin with the first published volume and should continue in chronological (publishing date) order. Although the novels can be enjoyed separately, but there is a progressive character ensemble development.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #2486
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur
I'm reading a kindle freebie "Don't Let Me Go" about a young girl whose mom is going through drug and alcohol addiction. The girl makes friends with a ragtag group of folks in her apartment building who band together to take care of the girl. One of the folks is agoraphobic. The girl bonds with him and seems to help him with his anxieties. I'm about 1/3 into it. Really good.
Thanks for the rec, Jabbur! It was $3.99 without Prime, but I ordered it anyway. Reviews are stellar.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #2487
Master Chef

Right now, because it is hot and not something that inspires me to read anything intellectual, I'm going for the latest #1 Ladies' Detective Agency novel. I love them.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #2488
Head Chef

I'm a woman. What do you think I'm reading right now?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #2489
Chef Extraordinaire

GQ...you have me stumped
Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #2490
Head Chef

Kyles, google 50 Shades of Grey....

I downloaded it to my Kindle for only two quid odd. I dont know what that is in real money but its cheap here!