"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #2501
Cook

Picking up Tao Te Ching again. I've needed some inspiration this past week. The teachings haven't let me down yet so I'ma crack this open once again.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #2502
Master Chef

Just starting Jane Eyre.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #2503
Executive Chef

The free version if Arabian Nights for the kindle. The witer's/witers' idea of a hero is every bit as strange to me as the greeks. I mean, Sindbad stole from corpses. Many of the heros are a bit shady or incredibly foolish.

A lot of the stories don't have heros, which is kind of cool. They seem to be about average people who have extrodinary things happen to them. What's interesting is that in most mythology, if an average person has something extrodinary happen to him, he becomes a hero of some sort. In these stories though, the average person just remains an average person.

It's also strange to me how disposable the women in the story are, even though not all of the women are treated as second class citzens and some are powerful sorceresses, or great thinkers, or noteworthy in some other manner. I mean, women are second class, disposable and property in a lot of mythology. The difference in these stories is that in general, women aren't second class or owned, just disposable. It's an odd juxtaposition. I mean, it fits with the over-arching story of a king who kills his bride every morning after a single night of marriage and the bride who is trying to stop the practice. It's still just really diffrent.

I'm also not sure how great this compilation of the stories is. It states that it cut out the poetry and lengthy philosiphizing and other "uninteresting" bits, and put in just the stories. I find at times the narrative jumps abruptly and I wonder how much of that is because things were cut out.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #2504
Everymom

I got City of Bones for $1.99 earlier this week and just finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it and decided to go get City of Ashes (book #2). Well, its $15 dang it all. So, I requested it at the library and I will just have to go peruse my Kindle freebies til it comes in. I think I have one called Squeaky Clean that sounds fun.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #2505
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
The free version if Arabian Nights for the kindle. The witer's/witers' idea of a hero is every bit as strange to me as the greeks. I mean, Sindbad stole from corpses. Many of the heros are a bit shady or incredibly foolish.

A lot of the stories don't have heros, which is kind of cool. They seem to be about average people who have extrodinary things happen to them. What's interesting is that in most mythology, if an average person has something extrodinary happen to him, he becomes a hero of some sort. In these stories though, the average person just remains an average person.

It's also strange to me how disposable the women in the story are, even though not all of the women are treated as second class citzens and some are powerful sorceresses, or great thinkers, or noteworthy in some other manner. I mean, women are second class, disposable and property in a lot of mythology. The difference in these stories is that in general, women aren't second class or owned, just disposable. It's an odd juxtaposition. I mean, it fits with the over-arching story of a king who kills his bride every morning after a single night of marriage and the bride who is trying to stop the practice. It's still just really diffrent.

I'm also not sure how great this compilation of the stories is. It states that it cut out the poetry and lengthy philosiphizing and other "uninteresting" bits, and put in just the stories. I find at times the narrative jumps abruptly and I wonder how much of that is because things were cut out.
I can't imagine reading those stories without the poems. They are as integral to the story as the narrative. It's been a long time since I read them, at least 30 years. May have to revisit.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #2506
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am reading "Don't Breathe A Word," by Jennifer McMahon. The story of a 12 year old who is stolen by the Fairy King and her brother and his wife 15 years later, delving into the mystery.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #2507
Chef Extraordinaire

I am now reading a book from the author Lindsey Kelk, it is one in her I Heart series...this one is I Heart London
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #2508
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm reading 7th Annual Edition, The Year's Best S-F, published in 1963. I love old SF. It is usually dated, but enjoyable. This is surprisingly, mostly not that dated.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #2509
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I'm reading 7th Annual Edition, The Year's Best S-F, published in 1963. I love old SF. It is usually dated, but enjoyable. This is surprisingly, mostly not that dated.
One of my favorite collections of SF is an anthology of Hugo award wining SF from the 60's. Isaac Asimov rights a little blurb introducing each story. The entire thing is a great read.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #2510
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've been reading like crazy lately. A lot of Iris Johansen, Eileen Dreyer, Jeffrey Deaver.

I've got another barrage on order. Havin' fun!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote