"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #2511
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
One of my favorite collections of SF is an anthology of Hugo award wining SF from the 60's. Isaac Asimov rights a little blurb introducing each story. The entire thing is a great read.
I miss my Dad's pulp collection from the 50's. It lives in Wyoming.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #2512
Executive Chef

If anybody wants to read pulp fiction they should read Mickey Spillane. I cut my "mystery" teeth on his novels, loaned to me in my early teens by my gramma, and I bet my mom and dad would have objected if they had known what I was reading (me as a 13 year old). Pretty tame by today's standards.

As a great follow-up to Mickey Spillane's novels I recommend John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels. Both authors were awesome, and IMO they plowed the same fields. Sadly, both authors are "of the past."

Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #2513
Sous Chef

I just got "The Hunger Games" from the library. I had to sign up for the wait list for it.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #2514
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Science fiction magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #2515
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
+1
Old 07-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #2516
Executive Chef

I would get every one of these if I could. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_H...ners#section_1
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #2517
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I would get every one of these if I could. The Hugo Winners - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here is the list for the Hugo Winners and Nominees for Best Novel:
Hugo Award for Best Novel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #2518
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Here is the list for the Hugo Winners and Nominees for Best Novel:
Hugo Award for Best Novel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Right, so I was born in 1978, so it would seem logical that I wouldn't recognize the names of a lot of the authors from the mid 80's on and be more familiar with authors from the 90's onward. I'm sort of backward though. From the beginning of the list through 1986 there were very few authors listed whose works were completely unknown to me. I've read at least a short story or two by most of them, although I haven't read many of the works actually listed. From '86 - '93 I recognized about half the authors. After that I recognized the ones that have a more mainstream pressence (JK Roweling, Neil Geiman, George RR Martin) or were mentioned previously in the list (Greg Bear) or I recognized one or two novels that I was like, "Oh, that's who wrote that," but I haven't heard of most of them. So from a litterary perspective I'm stuck in the past from before I was born and not the part that was worth an award... I'm weird Marcy.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #2519
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Right, so I was born in 1978, so it would seem logical that I wouldn't recognize the names of a lot of the authors from the mid 80's on and be more familiar with authors from the 90's onward. I'm sort of backward though. From the beginning of the list through 1986 there were very few authors listed whose works were completely unknown to me. I've read at least a short story or two by most of them, although I haven't read many of the works actually listed. From '86 - '93 I recognized about half the authors. After that I recognized the ones that have a more mainstream pressence (JK Roweling, Neil Geiman, George RR Martin) or were mentioned previously in the list (Greg Bear) or I recognized one or two novels that I was like, "Oh, that's who wrote that," but I haven't heard of most of them. So from a litterary perspective I'm stuck in the past from before I was born and not the part that was worth an award... I'm weird Marcy.
LOL! I took a copy of the list and I have most of the winners and nominees.

I love SF, have since I was 5...that was in 1965....I read many of these BEFORE they hit the Hugo list.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #2520
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! I took a copy of the list and I have most of the winners and nominees.

I love SF, have since I was 5...that was in 1965....I read many of these BEFORE they hit the Hugo list.
I think I started reading SF when I was 7 or 8. I learned very quickly that there was a picture of a rocket on the spine of SF books at the library.

But, back then, SF was considered crap literature. It wasn't something you talked about. Then between my junior and senior years of high school (11th & 12th grades, 1966) I took a summer course called "Honours Radiation Biology". Two smart, science oriented kids from each of about 15 high schools were chosen to attend.

The teacher mentioned a voder. The girl sitting next to me said, "I didn't think that was real." She had read the same SF story as me, about a Martian who whistled, but spoke English using a voder. Then, the topic of SF came up with the rest of the kids. All of us were SF fans.

I never kept my mouth shut about SF to English teachers again. I challenged them to read it if they thought it was crap.