"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #2521
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
I think I started reading SF when I was 7 or 8. I learned very quickly that there was a picture of a rocket on the spine of SF books at the library.

But, back then, SF was considered crap literature. It wasn't something you talked about. Then between my junior and senior years of high school (11th & 12th grades, 1966) I took a summer course called "Honours Radiation Biology". Two smart, science oriented kids from each of about 15 high schools were chosen to attend.

The teacher mentioned a voder. The girl sitting next to me said, "I didn't think that was real." She had read the same SF story as me, about a Martian who whistled, but spoke English using a voder. Then, the topic of SF came up with the rest of the kids. All of us were SF fans.

I never kept my mouth shut about SF to English teachers again. I challenged them to read it if they thought it was crap.
By the ninth grade I'd gotten so tired of hearing from english teachers that SF & F were worthless that I wrote my research paper on why SF & F were valid forms of litterary expression. I had to write it out in cursive pen. It had to be at least six pages, one side only thankfully, long. It was ten. I hated writing in cursive and I still hate writing in pen, but I was determined. Fortunately I had a really cool ninth grade english teacher and she thought it was great.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #2522
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
By the ninth grade I'd gotten so tired of hearing from english teachers that SF & F were worthless that I wrote my research paper on why SF & F were valid forms of litterary expression. I had to write it out in cursive pen. It had to be at least six pages, one side only thankfully, long. It was ten. I hated writing in cursive and I still hate writing in pen, but I was determined. Fortunately I had a really cool ninth grade english teacher and she thought it was great.
My first thought was that I was surprised that this attitude was still around when you were in ninth grade. Then, I realized that it still exists to some extent. There is even an attitude in "media" about SF. Some really good actors can't get jobs outside of SF, once they start doing SF. Patrick Stewart come to mind, as does Claudia Christian. Sigourney Weaver is the exception to the rule, but she was well known when she starred in Alien.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #2523
Sous Chef

I started reading The Hunger Games at about 7pm yesterday. I finally put it down and went to sleep at 4:30 this morning. Woke up at 10:30am and was finished with the book by 12:30pm. It obviously kept my attention. I have this feeling in the back of my mind that there's an OLD movie with a similar concept but nothing in the book triggered a solid memory. Now I have to see if the library has the second book that continues the story.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #2524
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think I started reading SF when I was 7 or 8. I learned very quickly that there was a picture of a rocket on the spine of SF books at the library.

But, back then, SF was considered crap literature. It wasn't something you talked about. Then between my junior and senior years of high school (11th & 12th grades, 1966) I took a summer course called "Honours Radiation Biology". Two smart, science oriented kids from each of about 15 high schools were chosen to attend.

The teacher mentioned a voder. The girl sitting next to me said, "I didn't think that was real." She had read the same SF story as me, about a Martian who whistled, but spoke English using a voder. Then, the topic of SF came up with the rest of the kids. All of us were SF fans.

I never kept my mouth shut about SF to English teachers again. I challenged them to read it if they thought it was crap.

Voder - "Star Beast" by Robert A. Heinlein...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #2525
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Voder - "Star Beast" by Robert A. Heinlein...
Right author, wrong novel. I was mistaken, the alien was from Venus. It was Between Planets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #2526
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Right author, wrong novel. I was mistaken, the alien was from Venus. It was Between Planets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's right...it was an interpreter for Lummox's race that had a voder. Time to start re-reading for nth time.

I love this description: "Initially, no one associates Lummox with the newcomers, in part due to the size difference (Lummox was overfed). Lummox is identified as royalty, complicating the already-tense negotiations. It is discovered that, from her viewpoint, the young Lummox has been pursuing her only hobby and principal interest: the raising of John Thomases. She makes it clear that she intends to continue doing so."
Old 07-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #2527
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's right...it was an interpreter for Lummox's race that had a voder. Time to start re-reading for nth time.

I love this description: "Initially, no one associates Lummox with the newcomers, in part due to the size difference (Lummox was overfed). Lummox is identified as royalty, complicating the already-tense negotiations. It is discovered that, from her viewpoint, the young Lummox has been pursuing her only hobby and principal interest: the raising of John Thomases. She makes it clear that she intends to continue doing so."
I looked at the summary of the plot of Star Beast and I don't think I ever read that one! I can't imagine how that happened. I guess I better find it and read it.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #2528
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I looked at the summary of the plot of Star Beast and I don't think I ever read that one! I can't imagine how that happened. I guess I better find it and read it.
I can mail you a copy if you can't find it. A new Heinlein...I'm jealous.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #2529
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for the link, Princess. I found a lot of formerly favorite authors and will be working on reading them again.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #2530
Master Chef

Purple alien, I've become convinced that the entire purpose of lit classes (at least up to grade 12, never took college level) was to make kids hate to read. For me, "reading" (in elementary), then "English" (in middle and early high school, lit was encompassed along with spelling, grammar, etc) were really a drag. Once a teacher (I think I was a HS sophomore) made us keep journals, and though goody-two shoes I was, i finally wrote in it that I was incredibly bored by the class. She called me after class, sat me down, and gave me the final, which I aced. She thought I was just being snotty. She couldn't get me into an advanced class (I'd tried when signing up for classes, but newbie students, which I always was, were low on the totem pole). Gave in and gave me a reading list to do reports on, and told me during class I was to tutor other students. Yay! But even the instructor I liked a lot, at my last high school, well, the way the curriculum was set up you over-analyzed a book to death (and this was the hippie days) looking for stuff that just wasn't there! Then I never understood how you could possibly take a poem from one language, translate to English, and it rhymed? How is that?

But it was an Easy A, so I took all of the lit classes, BS'd my way through the greater meaning of the novels, and swore never to take literature again. I mean, whoever decided we had to read Shakespeare every darned year?