"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #2531
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Picked it up with trepidation, knowing in was paranormal in genre. Once I "got it" after the first 30-50 pages I really got into it. Mushy at the end, but enjoyable.

I don't read a lot of Sci-Fi, and when I do it is because a Sci-Fi loving friends sends it to me. I like her selections, but don't go looking on my own, except that there are a couple of mystery (my favorite frivolous genre, with some authors I can go through a book or more a day) authors who have Sci-Fi settings (can't think of the authors off-hand) that I really like.
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #2532
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Picked it up with trepidation, knowing in was paranormal in genre. Once I "got it" after the first 30-50 pages I really got into it. Mushy at the end, but enjoyable.

I don't read a lot of Sci-Fi, and when I do it is because a Sci-Fi loving friends sends it to me. I like her selections, but don't go looking on my own, except that there are a couple of mystery (my favorite frivolous genre, with some authors I can go through a book or more a day) authors who have Sci-Fi settings (can't think of the authors off-hand) that I really like.
Oooh, if you think of them let me know. Mystery in a Sci-fi setting sounds interesting.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #2533
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Just started The White Company - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #2534
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,788
Jagger.
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #2535
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
City of Ashes
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #2536
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Just finishing up book 8 of Jack Campbell's series "The Lost Fleet". Good military-themed sci-fi, in the spirit of Bradbury or Asimov. I've been reading this series since March. Problem is this is the last book for now. The next one is not due out until May of next year.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #2537
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Just finishing up book 8 of Jack Campbell's series "The Lost Fleet". Good military-themed sci-fi, in the spirit of Bradbury or Asimov. I've been reading this series since March. Problem is this is the last book for now. The next one is not due out until May of next year.
Is there a lot of description of battles?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #2538
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is there a lot of description of battles?
Yes, the battle scenes in his books are very descriptive. The author is a retired naval commander, so he apparently has some experience to draw on.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #2539
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Yes, the battle scenes in his books are very descriptive. The author is a retired naval commander, so he apparently has some experience to draw on.
Aw phooey. I hate long battle descriptions. I find them tedious.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #2540
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Aw phooey. I hate long battle descriptions. I find them tedious.
Hah...and that's probably my favorite part!
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.