"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #2601
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I'm currently reading "Waking Lazarus" by T.L. Hines. Can't wait to finish it so I can start "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman that I snagged for my kindle for $3.
I hope you love "American Gods" as much as I did!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #2602
Master Chef

Right now I'm enthralled with and old epic book of nearly a thousand pages, called "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom, one of my favorite authors. I can hardly put it down. Here's something about it.

In one generation, the Clark family of Virginia fought for our nation's independence, and explored, conquered, and settled the continent from sea to shining sea. This powerfully written book recreates the warm life of the family, the dangers of the battlefield, the grueling journeys across an untamed wilderness, and the soul-stirring Lewis and Clark Expedition. This mighty epic is a fitting tribute to the wisdom and courage of Ann Rogers Clark, her husband John, and the ten sons and daughters they nurtured and inspired.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #2603
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Right now I'm enthralled with and old epic book of nearly a thousand pages, called "From Sea to Shining Sea" by James Alexander Thom, one of my favorite authors. I can hardly put it down. Here's something about it.

In one generation, the Clark family of Virginia fought for our nation's independence, and explored, conquered, and settled the continent from sea to shining sea. This powerfully written book recreates the warm life of the family, the dangers of the battlefield, the grueling journeys across an untamed wilderness, and the soul-stirring Lewis and Clark Expedition. This mighty epic is a fitting tribute to the wisdom and courage of Ann Rogers Clark, her husband John, and the ten sons and daughters they nurtured and inspired.
Thanks a lot, Kayelle - that sounds really good. The Lewis & Clark expedition in particular is always fascinating.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #2604
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm currently reading another Iris Johansen, Chasing the Night. I'm working through the whole series, and this was the first book had I read. There are three more books that I'll be ordering soon, and maybe I can take a break from the whole series.

I'm also taking a break, reading Sacred Trust by Meg O'Brien.

I haven't been posting about my reading lately as I'm going through books like crazy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #2605
Master Chef

Sharon T and Tinlizzie, thanks for a good idea. I read a lot, picking up a half-dozen or so books from the library every two weeks. I pretty much forget one upon reading the next (unless I'm reading nonfiction for the purpose of learning something, then I take my time and try to remember the salient points). But writing the titles, then going back and giving a thumbnail sketch and a thumbs-up-thumbs-down might help me remember better, and you guys might enjoy.

Just got back from the library:

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd
the Dog Stars by Peter Heller
NW by Zadie Smith
Criminal by Karin Slaughter
Odd Apocolypse by Dean Koontz
Breakdown by Sara Paretsky

The latter I won't bother with a thumbnail sketch, if you're a mystery lover, you probably have read the V.I. Warshawski novels and know they're set in Chicago. I've already started this one, because I usually start with the "lightest" novels and work up to the ones that require more thought!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #2606
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Sharon T and Tinlizzie, thanks for a good idea. I read a lot, picking up a half-dozen or so books from the library every two weeks. I pretty much forget one upon reading the next (unless I'm reading nonfiction for the purpose of learning something, then I take my time and try to remember the salient points). But writing the titles, then going back and giving a thumbnail sketch and a thumbs-up-thumbs-down might help me remember better, and you guys might enjoy.

Just got back from the library:

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd
the Dog Stars by Peter Heller
NW by Zadie Smith
Criminal by Karin Slaughter
Odd Apocolypse by Dean Koontz
Breakdown by Sara Paretsky

The latter I won't bother with a thumbnail sketch, if you're a mystery lover, you probably have read the V.I. Warshawski novels and know they're set in Chicago. I've already started this one, because I usually start with the "lightest" novels and work up to the ones that require more thought!
And thank you, Claire & Zhizara - the more books, the merrier.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #2607
Assistant Cook

I've been reading (well, listening to - I like audiobooks) My Lobotomy by Howard Dully

I haven't decided if I'm going to finish it yet, so far it's pretty annoying (all it is is him going on about how his childhood wasn't fair & how his step brother never got in trouble & had all these awesome things he didn't have.)
I'm hoping it picks up
Old 09-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #2608
Head Chef

The Road Through Wonderland: Surviving John Holmes
by Dawn Schiller
Old 09-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #2609
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Excavation by James Rollins, not a Sigma Novel. Great fun for a stand alone.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #2610
Head Chef

Just finished A Grave Talent by Laurie R. King. I thought it was very well written. This is the first of hers I have read, but it won't be the last.