"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #2651
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
OK, I wasn't able to get to the library for a few days, so went into my own "stash" of books and read Preaching to the Corpse by Roberta Isleib, Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree (revisiting an old favorite from childhood!), and started Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness.

The books I picked up at the library were:

Telegraph Avenue (Michael Chabon)
San Miguel (T.C. Boyle)
The Lower River (Paul Theroux)
You Might as Well Die (J.J. Murphy)
A Sunless Sea (Anne Perry)
Salvation of a Saint (Keigo Higashino)
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Tarquin Hall)

I usually start with the book that seems the most easy and frivolous, then work up to ones that might be more challenging (this is a 2-3 week progression). I'm not sure about Higashino's book. I read several series that are translations, and some I love, and some I find, well, for lack of a better word, dense. I haven't really enjoyed books translated from Russian or Japanese. Turkish ... a couple of authors I like, but some are rather, well, like the Russian books (let's all go out and commit suicide). The rash of Scandinavian authors I rather like, except for the last book (I don't feel like searching right now for the author's name, but it is, if memory which isn't much serves me, is something like a girl kicking a hornet's nest. I really didn't like it, although I liked the author's previous books. Maybe I'll try it again, after all, it isn't like he's going to write another book!
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #2652
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I didn't realize that I have, in fact, read other books by "Todd", just the Rutledge ones, not the other series.
The Todd book had lots of twists & turns at the end. Good book, and I look forward to more Rutledge tales.

A big thank you also to Sharon for Jacqueline Winspear's The Mapping of Love and Death, which introduced me to Maisie Dobbs. I'm about one third into it. I have borrowed a couple of characters (actors) from Downton Abbey -- I picture Downton's Mary for Maisie and Matthew for James, even if the physical descriptions in "Mapping" don't necessarily match. I'm the casting director for movies in my head, so I get my pick.
__________________

__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #2653
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Oh, my own stash of books? I went to the library's annual book sale. I usually work the sale, but wasn't sure if my hip would let me this year. So I went from physical therapy to the book sale and bought 22 books for $20. Other women may dream of designer clothes or sports equipment, but I toted home a huge stack of books. There are usually three categories of books; hard-back, regular paper-back, and I've heard them called trade books (why?) or book club editions, that is to say, better paper-backs. Most of what I bought were in the latter category. Obviously, I'm well-known with the library, and it is a fun social event as well. So there are 20 books in my guest room, just waiting for me. I only read them when I can't get to the library, or am travelling. Books, books, and more books!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #2654
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
The Todd book had lots of twists & turns at the end. Good book, and I look forward to more Rutledge tales.

A big thank you also to Sharon for Jacqueline Winspear's The Mapping of Love and Death, which introduced me to Maisie Dobbs. I'm about one third into it. I have borrowed a couple of characters (actors) from Downton Abbey -- I picture Downton's Mary for Maisie and Matthew for James, even if the physical descriptions in "Mapping" don't necessarily match. I'm the casting director for movies in my head, so I get my pick.
I really like Maisie Dobbs. Like Rutledge, it is interesting to read books of an era that is largely forgotten, the WWI and between the wars.
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #2655
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
OK, I wasn't able to get to the library for a few days, so went into my own "stash" of books and read Preaching to the Corpse by Roberta Isleib, Mary Stewart's The Ivy Tree (revisiting an old favorite from childhood!), and started Ian Rankin's Set in Darkness.

The books I picked up at the library were:

Telegraph Avenue (Michael Chabon)
San Miguel (T.C. Boyle)
The Lower River (Paul Theroux)
You Might as Well Die (J.J. Murphy)
A Sunless Sea (Anne Perry)
Salvation of a Saint (Keigo Higashino)
The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Tarquin Hall)

I usually start with the book that seems the most easy and frivolous, then work up to ones that might be more challenging (this is a 2-3 week progression). I'm not sure about Higashino's book. I read several series that are translations, and some I love, and some I find, well, for lack of a better word, dense. I haven't really enjoyed books translated from Russian or Japanese. Turkish ... a couple of authors I like, but some are rather, well, like the Russian books (let's all go out and commit suicide). The rash of Scandinavian authors I rather like, except for the last book (I don't feel like searching right now for the author's name, but it is, if memory which isn't much serves me, is something like a girl kicking a hornet's nest. I really didn't like it, although I liked the author's previous books. Maybe I'll try it again, after all, it isn't like he's going to write another book!
My goodness, Claire! More names to put on my to-read list. Have you ever looked at Nancy Pearl's Book Lust? So many books, so little time.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #2656
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Although technically I can't say I'm reading these (yet) because I began the Winspear book first, my last trip to the library also netted these:

Loon Lake by E. L. Doctorow
Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran
Birds of America - a collection of short stories by Lorrie Moore

A few pages into Mr. Fox shows it to be odd, quirky, and fairly entertaining so far.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #2657
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Although technically I can't say I'm reading these (yet) because I began the Winspear book first, my last trip to the library also netted these:

Loon Lake by E. L. Doctorow
Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran
Birds of America - a collection of short stories by Lorrie Moore

A few pages into Mr. Fox shows it to be odd, quirky, and fairly entertaining so far.
Doctorow is still writing? I never used to be into short stories, but am thinking about it. Haven't much read the past few days, but, then, haven't had a few real insomniac nights. That said, I have no idea what time it is, I think maybe 3 a.m. and I've been up for a couple of hours. Staying off the computer is a really, really, good idea for insomniacs who actually would like to sleep!
__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #2658
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Doctorow is still writing? I never used to be into short stories, but am thinking about it. Haven't much read the past few days, but, then, haven't had a few real insomniac nights. That said, I have no idea what time it is, I think maybe 3 a.m. and I've been up for a couple of hours. Staying off the computer is a really, really, good idea for insomniacs who actually would like to sleep!
Loon Lake was copyrighted by Doctorow in 1979. There are 9 other titles listed as written by him - I don't know which one is "freshest."

I don't usually get short story collections either, but thought I'd try out the author since that was the only one of hers on the shelf right now.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #2659
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
can someone give me a review of j.k.rowling's new book, the casual vacancy? anyone read it already? it's $14.99 for the kindle copy at amazon, so i'm holding off for a bit....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #2660
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
I'm about to read Sheila O'Flanagan- Someone Special. I buy most books at fleamarkets and garage sales. I read the back of this one and I think I may have already read it! Hate it when that happens :(
__________________

__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.