"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #2721
Master Chef

Just got back from a family emergency. We drove for three days coming and going. In the 3+weeks we were gone I read:

The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard. Don't think it's one of his best, but still good.
Ian Rankin's Fleshmarket Close Pretty good
Deadly Advice by Roberta Isleib. I like "cozy" mysteries for brain junk food, and this fit the bill.
A Reliable Wife. by Robert Goolrick. Very interesting
The September Society by Charles Finch. This is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Sir Peter Whimsley. Great fun.

These are all books I bought at the library guild's annual used book sale. I usually work it, but wasn't sure my leg was up to it. As it was, I bought 22 books for $20. Obviously I went through half of them this trip. A friend in California and I exchange books we think we'd like, and a couple of these qualify. She sent me a half-dozen books when I was laid up with a broken hip. Book friends are the best friends!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #2722
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, I ordered it! Thanks!
Hope you like it.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #2723
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Hope you like it.
I just like him as a person. I enjoy reading his FB page, lots of funnies, and the guy is in his 70's!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2724
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Just started The Innocent, David Baldacci. Good so far!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #2725
Chef Extraordinaire

I am currently reading some airy fairy stuff, Bicoastal Babe..it is pretty good though
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #2726
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just started The Innocent, David Baldacci. Good so far!
I have yet to read a bad book by Baldacci. The first one of his I read was Wish You Well set in the Virginia mountains. Not his usual mystery/thriller genre but then I had nothing to go on since I hadn't read any of his other books. I then started reading more of his works and have enjoyed every one I've read. Complex characters, compelling story lines, wonderful settings.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #2727
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I have yet to read a bad book by Baldacci. The first one of his I read was Wish You Well set in the Virginia mountains. Not his usual mystery/thriller genre but then I had nothing to go on since I hadn't read any of his other books. I then started reading more of his works and have enjoyed every one I've read. Complex characters, compelling story lines, wonderful settings.
I just have to see his name on a book...have to be careful I don't buy a second copy.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #2728
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just have to see his name on a book...have to be careful I don't buy a second copy.
I know! I have to find a summary of the story line somewhere first! I think I've read all the Camel Club ones finally.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #2729
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post

jabbur, interesting that you should mention baldacci's wish you well. i've been a longtime fan of baldacci. i was thrilled at finally be able to share a book of his with my aging mother. she liked the book a great deal--was probably surprised at such a fine author never publishing another book. sorry mom, david. as a fellow virginian, i am proud and pleased to share a "residence" with such a great talent as baldacci. i'm also proud that john grisham is a fellow virginian-- holds frequent local book-signings, and such. i have read about half of his writings, but i'm afraid it has been mostly out of a rather perverse sense of loyalty...in contrast, ii picked up my addiction to baldacci before ever knowing that he was from virginia, and before i myself lived here.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #2730
Master Chef

Vitauta - I was introduced to his writing through the UVA magazine. My son was a student there and the magazine did a short blurb on him (he got a degree from UVA and usually mentions the University in some fashion). I picked up Wish You Well first and have been hooked ever since.